General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman training and injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: Half Ironman training and injury
I was hoping to end my first full season of tri's with a half IM on Sept 12th. I've completed both sprint and Olympic distance races, as well as a half-marathon this year, so I felt it was a locical step. Unfortunately, I have been sidelined from running for at least 4 weeks with this stress fracture.
My question is, do you think it is unrealistic/unwise to try to go for the half that is only 17 weeks away from today, when I can't even run for an additional 4? Should I just concentrate on sprints and Olys and start next year with a longer race?

I'm thinking I've probably answered my own questions already. But it's always nice to hear other's opinions.

Thanks
-Seb

2005-05-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #155028

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: Half Ironman training and injury

Are you able to cycle?  That could compensate for some of the lost running.  The real question is how much pain are you willing to endure to complete the race?  So you can't run any for several weeks of your training season.  Come race day, if you haven't been running, you're going to feel some pain.  If your goal is to do well at the race (Prairieman?), then not being able to run is going to put a serious blanket on that...

2005-05-09 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
My goal was Prairieman. I can cycle, but nothing too crazy. And I'll be training for the HHH, so my cycling volume should be there, and the swim isn't a concern.
I'm not sure how my running is gong to suffer from the time off, and at what capacity I can pick it up again at.
2005-05-09 6:09 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Evaluate your goals for your 1/2. Put your cycling volume up as high as you can without stressing your fracture. Increase your swim volume as well and look at it as periodization. Come back very slowly on your run to keep your body healing as much as possible.

You may even consider taking a week off.

You need to take a look at your training base, evaluate how serious your injury is and make a decision and stick with that decision. Nobody here on this forum can make a suggestion to you that is guaranteed to fit you. My suggestion is something I did that worked for me but is not necessarily the right thing for you to do.

Good luck,

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman training and injury Rss Feed