General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doesn't my body know that I have events planned? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-06 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Doesn't my body know that I have events planned?
I started training for my first tri (scheduled 9/5) a couple months ago. Things have been going good... until last Saturday. A week or so before that, my neck/back had been just a little bit out of place... I couldn't get it back in myself, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Slightly more than a mild annoyance. Well Saturday-past I hit the pool for 30 minutes and about 1/4 to half way through noticed my right arm was definitely weaker than normal. No major pain, but definitely fatigued and didn't have its normal strength. I made it through my swim no problem, went and biked for just under an hour after that, and did some stretching like I usually do to wrap things up...

Sunday morning things are seriously tight in my back/neck. This happens about 4 or 5 times a year, my dad pops it for me, and usually I'm good to go. I'm pretty uncomfortable, but not very worried. Monday comes, the pain is now more severe in my back/neck and now traveling down my right arm, mixed in with tingling and occasional numbess in my finger tips. Im thinking a pinched nerve..
I stop by my dads, he pops it - I feel some relief, but it's still sore. I figure it's from being out for nearly a week and a half now, and things will settle back into place by the days-end. Midday, the pain is actually worse, especially in my arm. Tylenol and ibuprofen aren't touching it....Of course my Dr. can't get me in, so I schedule an appointment for Tuesday, and make my first trip to the chiropractor (I've been a little leary of them until now). Chiro did some electrotherapy and heat treatment, then did the adjustment. I felt much better, but still in pain leaving there. My entire back was no longer tight that night, just that one point on my spine (between the shoulder blades) and down my rt. arm. Woke up the next morning, certain parts of my back/arm in the before mentioned area spasming, but no more mind-clouding pain. Go to the doc - of course he ref's me, and gives me some anti-inflam's. Two days later, my back/arm still have the spasms, but with the anti-inflam's they aren't horrible. I still have limited strenght in what used to be my strong arm.
I long to get up and move - I may go for a run tomorrow morning.... But honestly I'm scared - I've got some relief from the pain - its definitely still there, but I'm at a stalemate on further healing... I don't want to do more damage and ruin my chances at doing my first tri. I'm getting depressed not exercising, ... and as you can tell I'm a bit whiney too! I miss my workouts!

Anyone been here? I'm sure someone has, what was your experience?

2009-08-07 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2333456

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Doesn't my body know that I have events planned?

I hear ya.  My back went out about 3 weeks before a 2-week backpacking trip.  I'd spent 6 months exercising, losing weight, etc.  The Chiro did a great job and I had a great trip. 

With the training, it's possible that you're getting muscles out-of-balance so pay attention to core exercises and some stretching counter to training postures (e.g. spend some time touching your chin to your chest since swimming and riding usually have your head tilted "up")

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doesn't my body know that I have events planned? Rss Feed