General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General IM Strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 9:28 AM

User image

DC
Subject: General IM Strategy
For the full IM distance (focused pimariliy on just finishing):

1. Do you apply chamois cream b/4 or after the swim? (I'm using 'Bag Balm'.) How about after the bike?

2. Do you apply body glide in between event legs (e.g., waist line)?

3. Do you use the same socks for biking and running?

4. How long after you hop on your bike do you eat/drink? (I've read you should wait a little to avoid an upset stomach later [LATER] down the road.)

5. Solid food ideas for the bike?

6. Thanks in advance for your opinion(s).

2009-08-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2352803

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: General IM Strategy
1.  I use body glide and apply before the swim.  But you should apply liberally and feel free to add more in T1 and/or T2 wherever you think it may be needed.  I always have some in my bag in case I think I might need it.

2.  See #1

3.  Yes, but many change theirs.  Go with whatever you're comfortable doing.  I did have a spare pair in my T2 bag in case I decided I wanted to change them.  Time to change a pair of socks should almost never be an impediment in an IM.

4.  Water as soon as I'm settled down.  I wait ~20-30min before taking on calories.  The more water you accidently 'drink' on the swim, the more important it seems to be to wait.  Salt water swims also may require some more 'wait' time than fresh water ones.

5.  None.  I use only liquids & gels.

6.  No problem.
2009-08-17 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
1/2.  I do my primary "lube up" before the swim.  In transitions I reapply to a frew problem areas...like the HRM strap area for me!  I also carry a small sandwich bag of vaseline or one of those sample size aquaphor tubes for stuff that pops up during the run.

3. I don't wear socks biking...only running.

4. 15-20 minutes.  Nutrition is personal though...some folks can hop right on and eat.  I wait the 15-20 minutes for no particular reason other than I've heard it's a good thing to do.

5. Can't help you there...I :heart: Clif Shot bloks...they are solid...and I haven't looked much past that.

6. You're welcome.
2009-08-17 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
1. Do you apply chamois cream b/4 or after the swim?  Yes...before.  Was prepared to apply more in T1, but didn't.
How about after the bike?  No.  Tri shorts are sufficient to prevent chafing for me.

2. Do you apply body glide in between event legs (e.g., waist line)?  No.

3. Do you use the same socks for biking and running?  Yes.  (At all distances, actually, not just IM...I wear orthotics on the bike and don't like to wear them without socks.)

4. How long after you hop on your bike do you eat/drink? (I've read you should wait a little to avoid an upset stomach later [LATER] down the road.I had some sports drink in T1.  After that, I went on regular schedule on the bike of hydration every 25 min, nutrition every 50.

5. Solid food ideas for the bike?  Depends on how you're defining solid.  I take the majority of my calories on the bike as gels, just because they're easy and I tolerate them well, even with sports drink.  For variety, I take Shot Bloks (or Honey Stinger chews).  On longest rides (including IM), I treat myself to a Clif Bar or a particular Luna Bar flavor (Toasted Nut and Cranberry...only Luna with no frosting on it to melt) at around the halfway point.  I generally don't like a lot of solids on the ride or the run.  I ate 7 times on my IM ride:  2 gels, bloks, 2 gels, bar, 2 gels, bloks, 2 gels (plus a mini-Clif Bar picked up at aid station for a few extra cal's).

Edited by tcovert 2009-08-17 12:45 PM
2009-08-17 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Porfirio - 2009-08-17 9:28 AM

1. Do you apply chamois cream b/4 or after the swim? (I'm using 'Bag Balm'.) How about after the bike?

4. How long after you hop on your bike do you eat/drink? (I've read you should wait a little to avoid an upset stomach later [LATER] down the road.)

1. I used it for the bike and run. Applied it in T1 and T2 where it appropriately goes.

2. I carried a travel sized body glide with me on the run. I read so many RR's where people talked about blisters on the run, I SWORE it would NOT be me. I also get some skin chafing under my arm and I wanted to be able to reapply the body glide anytime I wanted.

3. I did not. In fact, I changed socks at mile 13 on the run with a spare pair in my special needs bag. Again, I didn't want blisters. I had felt one come on at mile 6 on the run, but luckily I had body glide on me and stopped it from getting any worse. It helped to change socked mid way through, since I was sweating a lot (wet socks and mean blisters!).

4. I had a timer set for me to consume nutrition every 15 minutes. Once I was on the bike, 15 minutes later I was taking two swigs of Infinit.

5. It's your choice. You just have to make sure it's something you can carry on the bike (I had a hot day to deal with myself- so had to pick something that would not melt) and something you can eat on the bike.

2009-08-17 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If, as you've stated, you're more focused on finishing than a fast time, why not take time to be comfortable and minimize the opportunity for chafing, rubbing, etc. to take you out of the race? 

I haven't used chamois cream or body glide, so I don't know how they work after the swim.  Might be a good thing to practice.  At most IM's you'll have a chance to lube up in semi-private if you need. 

I switched, but I could have.  I had two pairs of socks in my T2 bag, the black ones I preferred and a pair of white ones in case it was very hot and sunny (it was cool and overcast, so I wore the black).  I may have put an extra pair in my SN bag just-in-case. 

I started drinking as soon as I got on the bike, but I don't usually suffer stomach issues.  Solid foods came a little later (maybe 30 minutes). 

Calorie-dense foods.  Powerbars are provided at M-dot races and I do OK with them, so I had a couple with me and picked up more during the day.  I also ate some bananas from the aid stations during the bike.  I had a payday candy bar near the end of the ride and some dark chocolate M&M's in my bike SN.  If you don't really like the vitamin taste of powerbars, GU, etc. fig newtons, breakfast bars, granola bars, Payday candy bars, etc. can get you by.  You should try whatever in training at race-pace intensity.  As I stated above, I don't usually suffer GI distress.  I can head out on an 80+ mile training ride with a banana, Payday, breakfast bar, Gatorade, and $5 to buy more gatorade or food at a convenience store.  It works for me and is about 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of energy bars and gels. 

2009-08-17 6:46 PM

User image

Master
PA
Porfirio - 2009-08-17 10:28 AM For the full IM distance (focused pimariliy on just finishing):

1. I used bag balm in T1, Special Needs on Bike (right in the middle of the road!) & T2. 

2.  Body Glide before swim where wet suit rubs.  Body Glide in T2 wear my arms rub my tank top.  I don't use BG on the bike.

3.   I only use socks for running.  But I would have used the same pair assuming they were dry, but still put a pair in T2 or Run Special Needs just in case.

4.  I took a gel immediately when i got on the bike.  My nutrition started at min 0.  I was fine with this.  Actually never knew people waited!

5.  I use only Carbo-Pro, gatorade & gels.  I found in training when it was hot, I wasn't eating solid foods.  I brought Fruit Snacks & a Nutri-grain bar with me just in case.  I also threw some other solid foods in Bike SN (pb & j, snickers in case i was dying for solid food) but didn't use any of them and they were only for everything is going to crap scenario anyway.  I ate a few bites of banana on the course here & there but that was the only solid food.

2009-08-17 7:23 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Haven't done my IM yet (4 weeks) but here's my plan and what I've trained with all year:

1. I don't like/use chamois cream so can't help you there.

2. I use body glide on my neck for the swim, on my ankles for the bike (will quickly put on in T1) and on my underarms for the run (rubs against my top and chafes), which I'll put on in T2. I'm also packing a body glide in both special needs should any chafing emergencies arise.

3. No. Paper thin socks for the bike and more comfy running socks for the run.

4. I wait 5 minutes into the bike and 5 minutes into the run to let everything settle in before I start on nutrition.

5. I get by on a combination of Gatorade Endurance and gels. If it's really hot or I'm feeling nauseated I'll eat one Luna Bar around halfway. I'll pack a Luna in special needs just in case. Bananas sit well with me so I could always grab one on the course, but my plan is liquid/gel only and it works solidly in training. You'll want to experiment a lot and figure what works for you. Nutrition is very personal and takes a lot of trial and error.

2009-08-18 8:54 AM

User image

DC
Hey great perspectives so far! I'm starting to feel confident about my gameplan. I hope this isn't the end of the thread.

Thanks everyone.
2009-08-18 9:58 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Porfirio - 2009-08-17 10:28 AM

1. Generally don't use chamois cream...didn't in my race.

2. Used body glide before the race on my neck where the wetsuit would rub.

3. Same socks. I had extra pairs in my T2 and in both special needs in case first pair got soaked, but didn't have to change.

4. Water initially for first 20 mins on the bike, then sports drink, then solid food

5. Solid foods I ate... Clif Bar, Snickers Bar (probably not smart..too much fat), banana, PowerBar. Hard to stuff all that down - but gels don't cut it for me.

2009-08-18 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Porfirio - 2009-08-17 9:28 AM

This will be my first IM so I'm shooting from the hip here and I'm hoping this works for me.

1. I will apply body glide all over the place before the swim and then some butt chamois after the swim, before the bike. Then re-apply at special needs.

2. Yeah, I'll probably reaply body glide for the run. Sometimes my shirt rubs under my arms or on the back of my neck.

3. I'm not sure. I'm thinking that changing into a nice dry pair of socks would be something nice to look forward too for the run. I'm going to experiment with that this weekend.

4. I usually wait about 10-15 minutes. Just enough time to get my body into the running "mode"

5. As for solid foods on the bike. My main source of calories is perpetuam and gel, and I'll also take an enduralyte about every 15-20 minutes because I sweat like CRAZY and enduralytes save my a$$. But for solid foods, I like animal crackers, a cut up payday bar, and as a treat I'll cut up a slim jim into bite size pieces that I get as a reward for every 10 miles I do.

It's nice to see everyones take on this!

2009-08-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2355750

User image

DC
"... and as a treat I'll cut up a slim jim into bite size pieces that I get as a reward for every 10 miles I do..."

Awesome idea! (Salty--extra bonus) Don't mind if I do!
2009-08-18 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I'm doing my first IM in November with a goal of just finishing. I've done a handful of halves, too...so based on previous race experience and my training, here's what I"ll be doing.

1. Do you apply chamois cream b/4 or after the swim? (I'm using 'Bag Balm'.) How about after the bike?
I'll be applying chamois cream after the swim so it's nice and fresh for when I get on the bike. I'm planning on changing into my really nice bike shorts, so I imagine I'll probably apply the cream directly to the chamois pad the evening before and pack it in my T1 bag in a ziploc baggie.

I'll probably put some body glide on in areas with chaffing/blistering potential. Feet before the run...arms depending on which tri top I'm wearing...etc...

3. Do you use the same socks for biking and running?
I go sockless on the bike, but if I did wear socks I would definitely pack them in my T2 back to give myself the option in transition. If my feet felt fine, I'd probably keep them on. Otherwise, it's often nice to get a new, fresh feeling in transition.

4. How long after you hop on your bike do you eat/drink? (I've read you should wait a little to avoid an upset stomach later [LATER] down the road.)
Right out of the water the first 30 minutes is exclusively water. At the 30 minute mark, I consume my first Gu and begin sipping Infinit every 10 minutes. Gu/Roctane alternate every 45 minutes from that point on. You need to figure out a plan that will work for you and stick to it during training. Then have about 3 nutritional back up plans in the event that things go wrong race day.

I'm big on cutting up payday candy bars as well as snacking on slim jims while riding. If my stomach is unsettled, the payday sits better than slim jims. I also plan on packing some pretzel sticks and a cut up PBJ sammich for my special needs back...just in case.
2009-08-18 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
I use bag balm for races only, for the simple reason that it will not wear off in the swim. Otherwise I used Assos cream. The BB holds up great and I didn't need to reapply at all in my IM.

I think the rest of your questions have been well answered.

Best of luck,

FishHog
2009-08-18 2:30 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
1. I'm changing out of my swimsuit into bike shorts, so I will apply Chamois Creame after the swim.  Will apply Body Glide before the run.

2. See ^^

3. Nope, I'm going with thin socks for the ride and my fabulous balegas for the run.

4. Not sure about this yet --- need to think/ practice it.

5. My plan is 217 calories of Infinit/ hour (concentrated, to be sipped every 10 min), and a king sized Pay Day broken into thirds - mile 30, mile 60, mile 90

6. No probs
2009-08-18 3:00 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I'll play too!

1.  Just before the swim- I used vasoline instead of chamois butter and it seems to last longer.

2.  Nope- just before the swim.  I'll just need to apply it to my heels.  And my neck- if I were doing a wetsuit legal IM.

3.  Nope- I do sockless for biking and only wear them for running.

4.  I usually wait about 10-15 mins.  I like to rinse my mouth out from the salt water and settle into my bike pace before taking in anything.

5.  Right now I'm using Gu2O w/ carbo Pro mixed in for drinking, Gu Roctane gels, and either an uncrustable or PayDay candy bar.

6.  No problem and good luck with your race!

2009-08-24 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I only used some bodly glide before the swim, used same sox for bike and run, ate/drank about 15-20 min after starting the bike, did not do any solid food. (Infanite for bike (2200 cal), GU for the run 900 cal).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General IM Strategy Rss Feed