General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill running vs. outside running question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-17 2:16 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Treadmill running vs. outside running question

For the record, I hate the treadmill, and avoid it like the plague, even in WI during the winter.  If you like it, fine.  I much prefer running outside.  I'd prefer this not be a treadmill vs. outside DEBATE...so...

...Question for the BT braintrust...

I can run just about a full minute faster pace/mile on the T-mill than I can outside.  This is not an isolated case, this is multiple treadmills at the gym over a long test period.  I have the indoor units religiously at a 2.0% grade.

I can think of 1000 reasons why one would be slower on a treadmill (boring, no airflow, boring, narrow so fear of slipping, boring, no airflow, and boring.

The only thing I can think of that would make a person FASTER would be the calibration of the treadmill, which I will assume is negated by the fact that I see this on a random sample of many treadmills at the gym.  Or, there's something wrong with my form in pushing off on the road vs. the treadmill, which the road is "moving" and I don't need to push off in order to propel forward.

So, does the fact that I'm more comfortable at paces of at least 1 m/mile faster on a treadmill speak to a problem in my form?

2009-08-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2353782

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Treadmill running vs. outside running question
Isn't one of the things that the treadmill doesn't force you to use forward motion as you have to when you run outdoors/on a track?  That could be part of the explanation if it's true.  I am not expert and I am the opposite of you in that I am not faster on the 'mill. But I'll use it when I have to.

Anyone else?
2009-08-17 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco
The treadmill runs at the same speed. your body does not...thats all I got.
2009-08-17 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I'm not sure what you mean by no airflow but when on a TM there is no air resistance.  Even if there is no headwind, you still have to push air out of your way when you run outside.  When you are on a TM, you are not moving any air so you should be faster. 

Think of how slowly you can run when you're waist deep in water.  Air is a fluid....just not as dense as water.

~Mike

2009-08-17 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Can't help ya.  I run faster outside than on a treadmill.
2009-08-17 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2353857

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Rogillio - 2009-08-17 2:41 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by no airflow but when on a TM there is no air resistance.  Even if there is no headwind, you still have to push air out of your way when you run outside.  When you are on a TM, you are not moving any air so you should be faster. 

Think of how slowly you can run when you're waist deep in water.  Air is a fluid....just not as dense as water.

~Mike

By airflow I meant something to cool you off vs. sweat like a pig like I do on the TM.

The science behind your statement does make sense, however.  Outside of that, everyone goes slower indoors, which furthers my hypothesis that something in my form is messing me up outside.  Like I don't push off correctly or something (no need to push off on a T-mill that's running underneath me)?

2009-08-17 2:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2353880

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Sounds like you aren't running hard enough outside.

I ran a tempo run on my TM this morning because I was scared I wouldn't push hard enough outside. If I set the TM to a 6:30/m pace, I had better keep up. But outside, it's easier to lag a little and only run, say, 6:50 pace.
2009-08-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2353880

Champion
PA
morey1 - 2009-08-17 3:48 PM

Rogillio - 2009-08-17 2:41 PM

~Mike

By airflow I meant something to cool you off vs. sweat like a pig like I do on the TM.

The science behind your statement does make sense, however.  Outside of that, everyone goes slower indoors, which furthers my hypothesis that something in my form is messing me up outside.  Like I don't push off correctly or something (no need to push off on a T-mill that's running underneath me)?

You are not alone, I sweat like a pig on the TM as well. 

I tend to run a little faster on the TM but I think it's because I always know how fast I am running and I make myself run that pre-planned speed.  When I am outside, I am not in tune with my speed.
2009-08-17 3:09 PM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I also go faster on a treadmill than outside.  I think it has to do with a couple of things - first the treadmill does the work of pacing, so you don't have to.  No slowing down (for inclines or headwinds, or laziness), and no accelerations.  So the pace is more consistent.  Second, the treadmill has more "give" than asphalt or concrete, so you get less leg fatigue, which makes it easier to keep the pace going longer.

I found it similar with my hiking treadmill (that has a 5% decline and up to 50% incline) - I can maintain a more consistent speed even with a pack than I could when I was actually out hiking on "mountains" of Pennsylvania (where the highest elevation is still lower than the lowest point in Colorado).

2009-08-17 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2353946

Sensei
Sin City
I think treadmill are a tad easier or more efficient.  You don't have to accelerate your body foward with each step like you do outside.  You  just have to keep pace with the moving ground underneath you on the treadmill.

I am faster on the treadmill given the same HR however, not THAT much faster.  I find that if I set the incline at about 1-1.5 percent, it puts me at the same pace at the same HR as outside.

2009-08-17 3:42 PM

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I don't know if I'm any faster on a treadmill, but it does force me to stay at whatever speed it is on.  That's all I got until I get me a fancy run watch so I can keep track of what I'm doing outside.  
2009-08-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2353957

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Aikidoman - 2009-08-17 3:13 PM You don't have to accelerate your body foward with each step like you do outside.  You  just have to keep pace with the moving ground underneath you on the treadmill.

Great point.
2009-08-17 5:02 PM

Veteran
A previous responder said:

'So the pace is more consistent.  Second, the treadmill has more "give" than asphalt or concrete, so you get less leg fatigue, which makes it easier to keep the pace going longer.'

From my mechanical engineering perspective, this gets a big thumb up.  The point of air resistance is also excellent, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.  In either case, your energy expenditure is greatly reduced by being in an artificial environment.  Air conditioning could be a factor as well.

Bottom line, I think (with proper respect to those that find themselves faster outside, whom I believe wholeheartedly, but cannot explain) the treadmill is faster, because it forces you to waste less energy, thus allowing you to hold a higher pace.

Scott
2009-08-17 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2354239

Champion
Alabama

scott319 - 2009-08-17 5:02 PM A previous responder said:

'So the pace is more consistent.  Second, the treadmill has more "give" than asphalt or concrete, so you get less leg fatigue, which makes it easier to keep the pace going longer.'

From my mechanical engineering perspective, this gets a big thumb up.  The point of air resistance is also excellent, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.  In either case, your energy expenditure is greatly reduced by being in an artificial environment.  Air conditioning could be a factor as well.

Bottom line, I think (with proper respect to those that find themselves faster outside, whom I believe wholeheartedly, but cannot explain) the treadmill is faster, because it forces you to waste less energy, thus allowing you to hold a higher pace.

Scott

I agree with your conclusion Scott but from my 'engineering perspective' this is not correct.  The up/down bounce and spring of a treadmill is WASTED energy.  It does lessen fatigue however as it lessens the impact.  This is the same reason we use hard bottom biking shoes and not cushioned running shoes.  That continual compression/decompression of the sole of a running shoe adds up to a whole lot of wasted energy. 

This issue is really about fatigue not speed.  Least that's how I read things.  The only difference in the physics of running on a TM and running outside is wind resistance and bounce...and the fact that you are locked into a specific pace.  I can see that one might change their stride length - whether intentional or not - and this will change one's fatigue level also.

Teadmills are a tool.  They have their place.  We just need to be careful not to become too reliant on a tool.

~Mike

2009-08-18 7:19 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI

Interesting stuff.  For the record, my conclusion holds true with HR data, for those that put forth the hypothesis that I just ran too slow outside and the T-Mill was "forcing" the pace.  But I agree with those that said there's more pace variation outside obviously.  I've got a lot of miles on my legs, so I stay pretty consistent outside, but not perfect.

Seriously, I run 8m/m pace outside and I'm "ok".  I set the T-Mill on a 7m/m pace without difficulty.

Obviously outside I have to MOVE myself forward.  I'd just heard over and over again that most folks are slower on the 'mill.  Hoping for that magic bullet of untapped potential that might exist if my issue pointed to a problem with running form or something.  Doesn't sound like it (not that my form is perfect or anything, but there's no simple answer it would appear).

2009-08-18 8:15 AM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Are temp and humidity comparable?  I don't run on a TM, but I do sometimes run indoors (track) in the summer, and the lower humidity and vastly lower temp makes a huge difference.
2009-08-18 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2355123

Elite
Muskego, WI

Experior - 2009-08-18 8:15 AM Are temp and humidity comparable?  I don't run on a TM, but I do sometimes run indoors (track) in the summer, and the lower humidity and vastly lower temp makes a huge difference.

That is a good point, and hard to figure.  But, as I stated early, I sweat like a pig pig pig on the T-mill since air movement is very lacking.  And, being in the upper midwest, we don't get a ton of uber-hot days, but it can be humid.  Pleanty of nice cool days in the 40s-50s too though, and it's not like my pace rockets up 30s to 1m per mile on those days.

2009-08-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2353957

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Aikidoman - 2009-08-17 1:13 PM I think treadmill are a tad easier or more efficient.  You don't have to accelerate your body foward with each step like you do outside.  You  just have to keep pace with the moving ground underneath you on the treadmill.

I am faster on the treadmill given the same HR however, not THAT much faster.  I find that if I set the incline at about 1-1.5 percent, it puts me at the same pace at the same HR as outside.

I think 'Kido nailed it.  I am faster on the treadmill, and I think it is because I am only having to keep my legs moving fast enough to keep up with the belt moving under me, rather than outside where I would have to propel my entire body forward at that pace.

2009-08-18 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2353917

Veteran
MA
stateu - 2009-08-17 3:58 PM Sounds like you aren't running hard enough outside. I ran a tempo run on my TM this morning because I was scared I wouldn't push hard enough outside. If I set the TM to a 6:30/m pace, I had better keep up. But outside, it's easier to lag a little and only run, say, 6:50 pace.

X2 - except I'm not that fast whether it be on a treadmill or outside. 
2009-08-18 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2353861

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
jldicarlo - 2009-08-17 3:42 PM Can't help ya.  I run faster outside than on a treadmill.

I'm the same way too. 

2009-08-18 10:05 AM

Regular
Maynard, MA
I hate the TM too and I usually use an elliptical if I have to "run" inside. 

As far as running faster on a TM, I would say that on a TM you don't have as much friction between your shoes and the TM.  While outside there is a lot more friction between your shoes and the ground.  More friction more work, more work requires more energy which could result in a slower pace. 

Also unless your TM is outside you don't have the differences in weather conditions as you would outside.  Especially if you are in a gym where there is AC.  Though are my ideas, don't know if they are right but they make some sense to me.
2009-08-18 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2354287

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Rogillio - 2009-08-17 5:38 PM

scott319 - 2009-08-17 5:02 PM

Scott

I agree with your conclusion Scott but from my 'engineering perspective' this is not correct.  The up/down bounce and spring of a treadmill is WASTED energy. 

~Mike

The up/down bounce when you run outside is wasted energy.  The up/down bounce on a treadmill allows the belt to move under you.  The greater your "hang time" on a treadmill, the more the belt can move under you, so you can look to go really fast by prancing/hopping (i.e. bouncing up/down a lot and minimizing the contact time with the belt). 

Morey, have some of your peeps watch your up/down motion when you run outside (as well as left/right). 

2009-08-18 1:23 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
I actually enjoy running on the treadmill! I can run early mornings when the dark could make the streets unsafe. It is controlled; I set a time and pace and it 'forces' me to maintain it regardless of my (lack of) motivation. It is easier on my feet/ankles/knees so my body recovers faster & allow me to run more often. I can set my water bottle on it and drink frequently, avoiding dehydration. I can do it year round, regardless of the weather. Plus, it provides me constant feedback: heartrate, distance, time, calories, pace. I can watch my favorite show or maybe an IM dvd while I'm running.

But I will agree that beyond an hour it's more fun to run outside!
2009-08-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2355902

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Actually, both statements are correct I think.  Semantics I think.  It depends on what "bounce" you are talking about. 

Treadmill bounce

The padding and built-in track bounce of a treadmill leads to wasted energy absorbed by the treadmill on each footfall.   (Mike's statement I believe).  The harder asphalt or cement surface outside is way more efficient ala running on grass versus pavement.  I run into this on treadmills at our gym as one type of treamill (Walkway brand) has much more of a padded tread than the other (Nordic Trac).  Running at the same incline and pace on the softer treadmill uses much more energy than the firmer one.  I get out of breath with a faster HR at a slower pace on the softer one.

Runner bounce

If you are talking about the runner being airborne (stride bounce) on a treadmill versus outside, then that would equate to extra distance covered as the treadmill spins underneath the airborne runner.  (McFuzz statement)

Everyone is correct - yeah!  Does that make sense?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill running vs. outside running question Rss Feed  

of 2