General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Black Hills Triathlon - Freaked Out! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 3:02 PM

Subject: Black Hills Triathlon - Freaked Out!

Hi all,

Has anyone out there done, or is doing, the Black Hills Triathlon in Olympia?  The date (Sept 12) is getting closer and closer and I constantly think about it and wonder why the heck I signed up for this!  It's my first Oly distance, and I've only done one Sprint race before (but I'm doing another sprint this weekend).  I've looked at results from previous years and expect to be in the bottom pack, just don't want to be last.  Any words of encouragement out there to remind me why the heck we do this to ourselves?

Thanks,

Amy

2009-08-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2370062

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
Subject: RE: Black Hills Triathlon - Freaked Out!
I can't give you any info on the Black Hills tri, but I will also be doing my first oly on September 12th.  I will be joining a friend for a race in Wisconsin. 

Which sprint are you doing? 

Have a great race this weekend.
2009-08-25 3:31 PM

The one this weekend is an "unofficial" sprint tri put on by my church!  There's only 37 of us, and it's all women, so it should be fun   The distances should be a breeze after all my Oly-distance training, but we shall see... nothing like a little overconfidence to humble a person when they end up not doing so well, huh??

I'm hoping this weekend will be a good confidence booster for the Oly distance in September, but anything could happen and I'm still a bit nervous... and I'm REALLY nervous for the Black Hills race!

2009-08-26 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I have heard that Black Hills is a GREAT race. I think Rugby Russ does that one, check out his race reports. You can also search for other race reports here on BT.  The first Oly is always hard!!!  It's quite a different beast than a sprint.  However, if you have put in the time, you will do just fine.  Remember to pace yourself--it's a longer day of racing than you are used to.  Good luck!

2009-08-27 12:00 AM

I love the Black Hills course.  The bike and run courses are both beautiful. The bike course is mostly flat and rolling hills, no big climbs that I can remember, and the run is awesome. It's a trail run. . . and it was even super fun in the RAIN!! Yeah, it rained when I did the race a couple of years ago, but at least the rain held off until I got off the bike

One piece of advice-- take some sort of slip on shoe down to the lake with you. The distance from the swim to the transition area is not trivial.

Enjoy!
2009-08-27 12:26 AM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA

I thought about doing the Black Hills tri, as well, but I have trouble getting out for open water swimming (especially since I don't have a swim buddy)...then I noticed there's also the Black Hills Duathlon.  Ah, something my hubby can do, as he doesn't swim!  So, we're both doing the duathlon!  And a lady from my church is doing the tri--it will be her third Black Hills.... She and her husband are camping at the park, and my hubby and I are, too (our space is right across from theirs!). Smile

Good luck!!!

2009-08-27 11:29 AM

User image

Olympia, WA
Heck yeah, I do this one, it's my local!! :-)

It will be my 4th year this year, it was my first ever tri so it's a little special to me. The first year it poured rain during the bike. It was a deluge and completely a mess but it was a ton of fun. It's been hot the last couple of years so who knows what we'll see this year.

Details:

The swim is decent if a little crowded at the start because the entrance is a little hemmed in by a submerged tree and the shoreline. Once you hit open water, it gets better. The water is cool but not horribly cold. Wetsuits have been required in the past, probably will be again this year.

Bike is rolling hills with only one really bad hill coming around mile 20 or 22. It's a steep sucker with a false flat in the middle. There are a couple of really nice downhills to rock and roll on. The first mile and last mile are in and out of Millersylvania Park. Supposed to be a no passing zone but I've always gotten passed. Maybe I should be cranking it up a bit harder? :-)

The run is a trail run through the woods. Again, rolling and a couple of steep little hills but nothing bad. It's all downhill for the last half mile or so. You hit the last steep downhill then out the woods, over the grassy field and down again to the finish line. Great place to catch someone. :-)

I haven't registered yet. The last couple of years I've registered day of race. This year I get back from Disneyland (I'm doing the half marathon) the Friday before Black Hills but I'm still planning on it.

If you see me say hi!

Russ
2009-08-27 11:32 AM

User image

Olympia, WA
Forgot to agree on the swim to bike transition point made up thread. It's probably a quarter mile (feels much longer!) from the lake to transition over a path strewn with gravel and pine cones. Bring some sandals or something. I've done it both ways and the time spent putting on the shoes with your cold wet feet is better than trying to pick your way through.

Russ
2009-08-28 6:41 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
Russ, thanks for the great details.... I'm glad I don't have to worry about the swim!!!--as I'm doing the duathlon.  But nice to know about the hills on the bike course.  (Well, a few hills keeps it interesting!)  I will be at the campground on Friday, so maybe will take a little tour of the course, as well as checking out the trail for the run.  I wonder if I should wear my regular running shoes or my trail running shoes?
2009-09-04 7:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Black Hills Triathlon - Freaked Out! Rss Feed