General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need run advice- practice TOO good Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-30 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: Need run advice- practice TOO good
I'm avid middle-aged cyclist new to tri this year.  Non-swimmer, non-runner, and generally non-gifted athlete- but not OW either (6ft/165#).  Started running this year to do 1st sprint tri (April), but I'm only running 2x/wk ave.  I generally have hated running. Shin splints sidelined me all of May.  Ran 10k 1st time in my life in early July, and had only 3 10k runs in prep for my 1st Oly Aug 16.  After finishing the Oly, I started to consider doing a half-marathon in mid-Oct.  So 9 days after my Oly I push my long run to 12k & stop due to mild knee pain.  Thinking half-marathon idea ain't happenin'.  Then yesterday I'm on scheduled weekly long run (8.5mi) but  I'm feelin' so good I just keep going. Actually enjoying my run!  Ran every step of 13.1m and felt good enough in last mi to push it to just break 2:15.  Today I feel decent with no muscle or joint pains. Only just a slight stiffness in one instep.  Even biked 14mi (easy) this afternoon.

Yes, I was stupid risking injury by pushing my mileage so far so fast.  Broke way above of my training plan.  But proved to myself I CAN run (not walk) a half.  A buddy suggested I switch to full marathon for the Oct event, but I'm thinking that would be silly on my pathetically low mileage base (<150mi this year).
So what do I do for the 7 weeks between now & my half-marathon?  Drop back into my beginner training plan (2 easy pace 5k runs/wk + weekly long run adding 0.5-1mi/wk until taper), or perhaps switch training plans to add some weekly moderate interval work (say 800's) to boost my speed a little?

Edited by Oldteen 2009-08-30 10:04 PM

2009-08-30 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2379586

User image

Veteran
El Segundo, CA
Subject: RE: Need run advice- practice TOO good

Congrats on what sounds like a running breakthrough! I'd advise you to take note of everything you did on the day of your run that may have contributed to the outcome (i.e. what and when you ate, how much water you drank and when you drank it, how much sleep you got the night before, workouts for the previous few days, etc). This information may shed some light on how and why the run went the way it did. Incidentally, the BT training log is an excellent place to keep track of these things...

Assuming, based on your post, that you're coming from a relatively low mileage base, I'd concentrate on adding more easy running to your schedule rather than speedwork (i.e. 800's). If you want a new training plan, find one that increases your mileage at a gradual rate (the rule of thumb is to increase total mileage by no more than 10% per week.) Once you have a more solid mileage base, you can start thinking about speedwork, but at this point you'll just be putting yourself at an increased risk of injury where you could probably see similar gains in ability by just running more. At a comfortable, "conversational" pace.

Good luck!

2009-08-31 4:27 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
I agree with the focus on base building.  You simply have got to have a good solid running base before adding a lot of distance increases or speedwork... and that takes time.  Wise choice to forego the marathon and stick with the half.  I know how addictive and tempting it is to want to go for it! 

This is one sport in which you can break those imaginary barriers of what you thought you could never do, BUT YOU CAN!  And you do it over and over again every time you go just a little farther or a little faster... how can it not be addictive?

You may want to pick up a book like Marthoning for Mortals or another one someone suggested on here I think was Advanced Marathoning.  I've already read Marathoning for Mortals but I think I'll order that other one as well based on the recommendation I read in another thread.
2009-08-31 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Thanks for the replies!  I understand about building base miles from bike training (inc. increasing vol 10%/wk), and know I should switch to using BT logs rather than my own crude excel SS's.  Guess I thought about intervals as a way to keep things interesting over the next month.  Already doing biking & some swimming for XT.  And a fun sprint tri (local fundraiser) in 3 weeks.

Longshot- I hear ya about noting everything I did.  I remember focusing on easy aerobic breathing (1 breath/3 strides), and taking a few longer strides every mile or so to keep the legs relaxed.  Had a few sips of water pre-run and drank 20oz during run.  Did 2 gels for carbs (at 5k & 10k).  But perhaps biggest factor was relatively cool summer weather-75 degrees w/5-10mph breeze. 

So I'll forget the speed work.  What is best way to add miles- increasing my weekly long runs by ~1mi/wk until taper (i.e. build to 17mi) or stay at 13.1 long and add more to my shorter runs (now 5-8k)?  Course for my event includes a couple notable hills, so I could think about a little work there too. 

BTW- PB's are 5k-24min, 10k- 54min, and 1mi-6:55 (which could be lower if I pushed).  I would be quite happy with finishing my event under 2:15, and ecstatic if I went under 2.

Edited by Oldteen 2009-08-31 9:31 AM
2009-09-01 3:06 PM

User image

Oldteen - 2009-08-30 11:02 PM
A buddy suggested I switch to full marathon for the Oct event, but I'm thinking that would be silly on my pathetically low mileage base (<150mi this year).
So what do I do for the 7 weeks between now & my half-marathon?  Drop back into my beginner training plan (2 easy pace 5k runs/wk + weekly long run adding 0.5-1mi/wk until taper), or perhaps switch training plans to add some weekly moderate interval work (say 800's) to boost my speed a little?

Given how new you are to running, I agree about a Marathon being way too soon. I'd like to see at least a year of consistent running.

As far as your up comming 1/2 mara, the most important day for you is the long day, get that to 90 min. For the rest of the week, I would try to do another 2-3 days at of 30-50 minute easy runs. If you want some additional speed work rather than a formal set of intervals, try doing some fartleks during one of your weekly runs. Just pick up the pace to whatever feels like 8-10k pace for 1-2 min, go back to a jog untill you feel mostly recovered, repeat 8-10 times. Or if you know of a local weekly race you can enter, short races are fine for speed work.

If you feel like you're overdoing it, and are getting fatigued. Get on the bike for a recovery day and give your legs a rest.
2009-09-01 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I don't understand your buddy's comment about skipping the half and maybe doing a full marathon when you haven't done the half yet. Sounds like you aren't taking that too seriously. The difference between a half and a full marathon are huge especially if you have experienced some nagging type injuries. Settle back like others have suggested and build on your recent gains. Your run is should be a huge confidence builder. Just don't get too far ahead of yourself.

2009-09-07 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Advice to skip full mara was spot on.  Today's long run was slap back to reality.  Due to weather (temp, humidity) & course (some new hills) it was a major struggle despite slower pace.  Made 15mi, but last mile was walk-run.  And now right knee is sore. 
Too hard too fast will eventually bite ya.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need run advice- practice TOO good Rss Feed