General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need a gear!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 11:47 PM

Subject: I need a gear!!!
I want to get into doing a triathalon but dont know where to start when it comes to my gear- right now im just swimming in my board shorts and running in gym shorts and a tank top, I havent even bought a bike yet but dont want to spend thousands!!!!! someone please give me some help!! especially with the bike portion!!!!sincerly,Stressed out!

2009-09-02 3:28 AM
in reply to: #2384167

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: I need a gear!!!

Check around with any local bike shops to see if they have any trade-ins or other used bikes.  Put the word out that you're looking for a bike.  If you shop around a bit you can probably find a good quality, older road bike for a few hundred bucks.  Maybe look for a deal on a fixer-upper if you know the basics of bike repair.    Don't waste your money on a cheapo from a discount store - it probably won't stand up to any serious training and might actually be dangerous.  And get a good helmet.

Good luck,

Mark    

2009-09-02 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2384167

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: I need a gear!!!
Couple of other options for bikes - do you have a friend who's into cycling or triathlon?  Most of us them believe in the n+1 theory of bike ownership (the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n= the current number of bikes owned). I sold a couple of bikes to friends this summer (OK, I sold 3 bikes; and gave another one to my oldest daughter).  Also check craigslist.  I have a buddy who is the king of cheap.  He just got 2 nice road bikes (one for him, one for his girlfriend) for something like $400.  One wheel needed trueing, and he needs to replace the seatpost or trim it because it is about an inch too high, but they are fairly new bikes; one of which has 105 components (not a bad entry race level).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need a gear!!! Rss Feed