General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, I know which side of the love/hate thing I'm on... I LOVE my Newtons. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-06 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2391185

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Well, I know which side of the love/hate thing I'm on... I LOVE my Newtons.
I would say this:

Its a shoe, and it may help certain people become less injury prone. Its not for everyone.

I switched to Newtons about a year ago. I literally could not run at all after a pretty serious foot injury. I tried everything, doctors, orthotics and multiple different shoes. Over the course of 6 months, I was unable to run more than 1 mile in anything. I was about to give up on running...

I bought a pair of Newtons, and guess what? I ran 2 miles that same day with little to no foot pain. I continued to incrementally up my run distance in the Newtons, and blammo... no foot pain at seemingly any distance. I am a huge proponent of the Newtons, if you need them. Its an expensive shoe, and if you have not had issues with pain/injury in other shoes... why switch? If you DO have pain/injury, it may be worth a shot with the Newtons, it was for me.

Its like any shoe.. some are made for neutral runners, some for over pronators, under pronators... you name it. Whats so wrong with designing a shoe to promote forefoot/midfoot running? There is truly nothing intrisically bad or good about the Newtons, its a peice of equipment that may help some people.

(I could write another story of my girlfriend and how it has seemingly cured her SI pain, but I will spare you the anecdote)

regards.

Andy.

2009-09-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2391185

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Well, I know which side of the love/hate thing I'm on... I LOVE my Newtons.

One of the main reasons people heel strike in the first place is due to heavy soles in the back of our shoes. When you're a kid or when you run barefoot, you don't heel strike. I happen to believe that heel striking is NOT NATURAL. That doesn't mean your body and muscles can't/don't adapt though. Both sides of this debate may be correct.

It is probably more natural and healthy to be a mid foot or even fore foot striker in the long run, but trying to do so with the wrong shoes is like going one step forward and two steps back. Furthermore, mid foot and fore foot runners put more strain on their calfs, so making a transition can cause injuries there. There is no magic bullet. You have to find what works for you and understand that form, shoes, and physiology ALL factor into the equation.

2009-09-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2391511

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
DrPete - 2009-09-05 3:34 PM  It took a good few years for me to develop a nice round pedal stroke, for instance, or to find my best sprinting form on the bike. Go to any tri and it's painfully obvious that not everyone has good technique on the bike. The fact that I can turn a 23mph bike split and smoke guys who can run 2:00 per mile faster than me is evidence that technique matters. Guys mashing on the pedals, turning a slow cadence, not knowing how to shift-- you'd never tell these guys to just keep doing what they're doing, would you?

Yep, I would and do. I have seen too many better cyclists than me who run a 75 cadence, "mashing on the pedals" you may describe it, guys who can go faster and further than I (also "can turn a 23mph bike split"). I tell folks to ride lots and let time sort out proper cadence and style.

Same thing for running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, I know which side of the love/hate thing I'm on... I LOVE my Newtons. Rss Feed  

of 2