of 2

2005-05-22 1:33 PM
in reply to: #160128

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: tri-bike vs. road bike

I agree with you, zakk

I'm a relative newb on the bike; after almost decades (yikes) of riding any type of real road bike I got myself a compact road frame with tri-setup; properly fitted, all the right angles, etc and it is definitely twitchier than I remember my old road bike in high school, and much worse than a MTB. I've only put on less than 500km on it and it took a long time to get brave enough to use the aerobars; with bar end shifters, it was a small victory for me to change gears without snaking down the road like I was drunk! Even on the cattlehorns it is still a little sketchy at times, but manageable. And trying to reach down to grab a drink on the fly while in aero - forget it, or at least for now. Can't blame it all on set up - I've tweaked heights and angles and have found a very comfortable groove with how things are positioned - it's just the nature of the beast, I think.

So, my measley $0.02 is that a complete biking novice may be better suited to logging miles on a road bike first before venturing into the tri bike world. If you're anything like me, it's hard enough getting used to the fear of those skinny slicks holding me up on wet (or even dry) pavement, or gravelly corners, the incredible speed - hit 40km+ on one of my first runs and almost ruined my new cycling shorts , the fear of flatting, clipless mishaps, road rash, road rash while doing 40km+, etc  Mind you, it can be done - I'm much more comfortable now and gaining confidence with each ride, but the learning curve a.k.a. confidence curve may have been easier on a regular road bike.

2005-05-22 3:56 PM
in reply to: #161255

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

. zakk - 2005-05-22 11:56 AM

If you think a tri bike can handle like a road bike, you're a fool.

I don't recall ever typing that or thinking that.

But no, a tri bike doesn't handle like a road bike. And you will never handle your tri bike better by just riding your road bike

2005-05-22 4:34 PM

Lots of good comments so far., and as you can tell a lot of different opinions from people with different exp.

My vote-- Road bike first - Why - Cycling becomes an addiction within itself, you will find a lot more activites in your community with cycling then the other two. I would always recommend someone get out and ride with people. Besides, What if you decide a year from now that Tri isn't for you. But you love cycling this way you have a road bike.

And for the comment about Tour riders riding Tri bikes -- they do - alot -- watch the Time Trial portion of multiple day bicycle racing - It is basically a Tri Bike -- so even Lance rides one. Of course we can't afford Lance's......

Tri Bike -- second bike if at all -- Road bike with Aero bars -- Why not, especially if this is only going to be a hobby and you are not trying to compete except with yourself.
2005-05-22 5:03 PM
in reply to: #161172

User image

Elite
Chicago
glf33 - 2005-05-22 12:55 AM 

NO NOT REALLY.  This is my hobby. I'll go out on a limb here and say the majority of people on this site do it as a hobby, ie-part-time. 

I realize this, that's why I said previously: "I completely see your view as not everyone wants to be the best athlete they can genetically become, but rather just do it to gain self-esteem, loose weight, or simply be part of something larger than themselves that makes them feel good.  For these people, you're suggestion of  "If your gut says get a tri bike get one. If your gut says get a road bike get one." is a good one."

In the limited time I have to train, I do what I think will best help me become a better triathlete, based on what I've read, NOT emulating what world class triathletes are doing- they have just a bit more talent than I'll ever have no matter WHAT I do, and I think a lot of their workouts are geared to that talent and ability.  I may try to pick some things that they're doing and try to incorporate them in my training, but doing EVERYTHING they do? C'mon get real.

Your statement implies that I'm suggesting you do EVERYTHING pro athletes do in your training.  However, I'm not suggesting this.

I am, however, suggesting that golfinggods purchases a road bike as the initial bike purchase as it is a more versitile machine, climbs betters, and fully works (and consequently develops) all muscles used for cycling while a tri bike is less versitile, doesn't climb well (all else being equal), and doesn't fully work (and consequently limits development) all muscles used for cycling.

Seriously, you're NOT emulating what world class triathletes are doing?  So who writes the books you're reading?  Age groupers? Coaches of age groupers?

If your not heeding the advice or emulating the techniques of world class triathletes then you are missing a big area of knowledge that can make you a better age group triathlete.

I also STILL do not understand your point about training on a tri-bike limiting your development as a cyclist???

See above.

Is the reverse true?  Training on a road bike only will limit your development as a cyclist?

No.  See above.

Do all the guys in that little race in France every July train on tri-bikes?   

I have no idea what race your refering to.  They race bikes in France?

2005-05-22 6:45 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
I agree with Steve on this one. If you're only going to have one bike, make it a road bike. It's more flexible. Sure, you may only race in Tris and have no desire to do a road race, but 95% of the miles you put on a bike are outside of races. Tri bike are not optimized for riding in groups, and riding with groups is one of the single most effective ways to improve as a cyclist, and in turn, as a triathlete.

You can put aero bars on a road bike and 95% of us on this forum would be just as fast as riding a full blown tri bike. Plus you'd have a machine that you could use for group rides and crowded charity ride an all those other times you're not on solo training rides or races.

Of course, this is the same forum where people were contemplating slamming on brakes to get rid of unwanted drafters, so maybe solo tri bikes are a good choice!

2005-05-22 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I came into Tris after doing a lot of mountain biking and decided I wanted to get a non-mountain bike do to this on.  I heard all the arguments and wound up buying a road bike.  A year or so later I really wished I had bought a Tri bike.  After buying a road bike and paying for race fees the last year there isn't any way the boss is going to let me drop more $$ on another bike. 

So, a tri bike is twitchier to ride, or it takes more time to stay aero.  Well, if you are learning why not learn on a tri bike.  If its harder you get the harder learning over early whne you are still motivated.  I see tons of people who can't ride a straight line riding both tri bikes and ROAD bikes.  I don't know why people can't ride a damn bike or change a damn flat, guess what it is really pretty easy.  It also seems like the people who can't change a flat think they are going to Kona as well.

Yep, wish I bought a tri bike instead of a road bike.  Then I'd only be fighting the boss about a nice set of Zipps.

2005-05-22 10:00 PM
in reply to: #161465

User image

Elite
Chicago
PGoldberger - 2005-05-22 7:56 PM

I came into Tris after doing a lot of mountain biking and decided I wanted to get a non-mountain bike do to this on.  I heard all the arguments and wound up buying a road bike.  A year or so later I really wished I had bought a Tri bike.  After buying a road bike and paying for race fees the last year there isn't any way the boss is going to let me drop more $$ on another bike. 

So, a tri bike is twitchier to ride, or it takes more time to stay aero.  Well, if you are learning why not learn on a tri bike.  If its harder you get the harder learning over early whne you are still motivated.  I see tons of people who can't ride a straight line riding both tri bikes and ROAD bikes.  I don't know why people can't ride a damn bike or change a damn flat, guess what it is really pretty easy.  It also seems like the people who can't change a flat think they are going to Kona as well.

Yep, wish I bought a tri bike instead of a road bike.  Then I'd only be fighting the boss about a nice set of Zipps.

That's not the point in buying a road vs tri bike as your first bike purchase.  You shouldn't base your decision of road vs tri purchase on which one is "harder" to handle.

The point I'm making is simple.  Your first bike purchase should not be a tri bike because (1) your development as a cyclist will be limited, (2) your climbing ability will be hindered, and (3) it is much less adaptable to various cycling situations (ie group rides, charity rides, etc.)

2005-05-22 11:08 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

I would be inclined to go with a road bike first.  My first 15 seasons of triathlon were on a road bike.  I finally did buy a used tri-bike, and I'm glad I did.  It did make a big difference on a number of the courses I used it on.  This year I upgraded and bought a new tri-bike.  Most of my training is done on my road bike, and I have used my road bike in a few triathlons where it's been extremely hilly. 

I don't know everything about the muscle stuff Steve talked about, but without my road bike I don't think I'd be as good a cyclist as I am.  Part of that is from the hours I have put in riding in a group with stronger cyclists.  That rite of passage into the world of roadies would not happen on a tri-bike.  Go ahead flame me for that last sentence, but I got a lot more respect and encouragement when I had no aerobars on my bike.  Some group rides may be cool about tri-bikes and aerobars, but around here the major weekend group ride is not. So as the expression goes "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

2005-05-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: #161504

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Steve

The point I'm making is simple.  Your first bike purchase should not be a tri bike because (1) your development as a cyclist will be limited, (2) your climbing ability will be hindered, and (3) it is much less adaptable to various cycling situations (ie group rides, charity rides, etc.)

I skipped the road bike and went straight to the tri bike because of the reasons you listed:
1. I am a triathlete with no intention or being just a cyclist.
2. There are no hills in South Louisiana
3. I do not like group rides, I ride alone or with my wife.

Edited by H13 2005-05-23 6:46 AM
2005-05-23 7:41 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Get the road bike. It will help you to develop better your cycling skills and it will make you a more complete Triathlete.

2005-05-23 7:47 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

The most important factor has been completely overlooked here, folks -

get the bike that looks the fastest!

2005-05-23 8:07 AM
in reply to: #161595

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
But it has to be RED.
2005-05-23 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

This is a great thread.  I have only one skinny-tired bike, and it's a mid-90's Klein that I got used - a road bike, obviously.  I bought it because it was close enough to the right size for me, and I could get it for $600, when the original owner paid $2100 for it.  It's a nice bike and I love to ride it. 

But after one season plus an Ironman, my sweet wife has finally seen the light and agrees that I need a tri-bike to perform better in races in the future.  All that's left now is to raise the money.    I enjoy riding in groups, although I rarely do so.  When the day comes that I own two (three counting the MTB) bikes, then I'll do the group rides, and the early season base training on the Klein and the race-specific and solo long rides on the tri-bike.  (Felt?  QR?  Cervelo?)

At the end of it all, I'm with Steve here.  Buy a road bike, and equip it with some clip-on aero bars.  Ride it until it begins to limit your ability to go faster.  Then, if you still love the sport, buy a tri-bike.  If you don't love the sport, you have a road bike that you can use elsewhere.  The exception to that is if you only have enough money set aside to make one purchase AND you know that you are going to be committed to the tri lifestyle.

2005-05-23 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
OK now for the update. Wow I am impressed and really want to thank all of you for the great input and advice; I did take it all in and I dont think I did this much research when I was in college.
This is what I did...
As of this Saturday I am the new owner of a Airborne Ti road bike. I decided to go the road route because there are numerous rides in my area (Nashville) that are fun rides (some I have heard do not allow tri bikes because of safety) that I can get into and have a good time riding with a group (when I don't want to be alone). I thought about the ease of the bike in handling and workability. I read a lot about how tri bikes are a different breed and are not really that great on mountains and with the handling. I had not rode a bike over long distances in quite sometime so I didn't want to make this tougher than it is and me get discouraged right off the bat by having a bike that takes some "getting used to".

I am very pleased with my purchase and did 35 miles on Sunday in my excitement (damn my butt hurts), I did get all of the add ons i.e. clipless peddles, padded bike shorts, gloves, helmet. I thought golf was a expensive sport ha ha .

Once again, thank you all of your awesome imput. I figure if I continue on this trainning and after I have entered a few races I may be ready to devote some cash to another bike and have it be specific to this new sport that I have fallen in love with.

Chris
2005-05-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #161771

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Congratulations on your new baby!  Titanium is a sweet ride.  My road bike is titanium.  You'll get many years of enjoyment out of that baby.  Now we want to see pictures!
2005-05-23 12:43 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Is this like the clinchers vs. the tubulars debate? Is there no right answer?

I bought a tri bike for my first "real" bike and I love it. Like a previous poster, I have no desire to complete group rides, because I try to train like I compete and I will be racing alone. I think group rides are great, but where I am at both geographically and physically, it would be tough.

My second bike will also be a tri bike, just one with bunny pegs and that I can take off of sweet jumps.

I think I am with Bear on this one -- show me the research that proves if your first bike is a road bike then you will be a better handler, etc. So far, the only material discussed here has been anecdotal.

Mike

2005-05-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: #161848

User image

Elite
Chicago

Rollin' Thunder - 2005-05-23 11:43 AM So far, the only material discussed here has been anecdotal. Mike

Not fully developing muscles you are not fully utilizing is not anecdotal.  I believe this was discussed here.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri-bike vs. road bike Rss Feed  

of 2