General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After school events/activities with my boys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-27 12:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: After school events/activities with my boys
I have two wonderful sons aged 5 and 8. They are currently playing soccer and baseball respectively. I have made it a point to be there for their practices and my wife and I for their games. It probably doesn't help that I took on a more proactive role(coaching) with them and their friends.

This has cut somewhat into my regular workout routine/schedule. Don't get me wrong, I immensely enjoy the time I get to spend with my sons while they do their sports and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am just wondering whether anyone else here has a similar situation and how they time manage.

2004-03-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: #14735

Champion
Subject: RE: After school events/activities with my boys
Spend as much time with them as possible. Tomorrow will be here, they will be grown and living lives of their own, and it will seem like it happened overnight. I speak from experience. My 2 "little" boys are 22 and 26. I cherished every moment I spent with them, but it all went by so fast! When my youngest went off to college and my wife and I were finally alone in the house, I wept like a baby. In the end, each of them has turned out just fine, and it's surely a credit to the attention we paid to them and to the values instilled in them when they were young. Just do the best you can, and realize it will pay off in the end. It's just around the corner!

Max

Edited by max 2004-03-27 7:41 AM
2004-03-27 8:12 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
yeah, what Max said.  I have one who's 18 and one who's almost 14. While I joke about them moving out so I can get on with my life, it happens way too fast.  Wasn't I just bringing home a new baby?  Plenty of time to do what I want, but for now I let the kids set the course.
2004-03-27 7:03 PM

I swear to you.... once in a while I look at my 6yo son and I can SEE him growing!!!!!!!! ***sigh*** We keep telling him to stop, but he just won't listen.

I'm in the opposite situation: I work evenings, so I CAN'T do ANYTHING with him. I'm going back into construction, which stinks because I HATE getting up that early, but it will a) allow me to do things with him and (b) still allow me to finish my degree at night (Elem. Ed)
2004-03-29 1:29 PM

New user
Boston area

I can relate to your situation.  My son takes Tae Kwon Do, piano, Little League, and yes, of course, there is homework too.  I try to spend my time with him in the evenings, so what I am trying to do is workout at the gym after he goes to bed.  It is not as fun as working out outside during daylight, but it is what works for me right now.  I do plan to ride bikes and run with him at least once a week, especially since I am just starting out so he should be able to keep up with me no problem right now!!!   I would love to squeeze in a workout in the middle of my workday but I just havent been able to do it.  My husband tends to workout or work early morning but I am hoping to maybe squeeze in a morning workout once or twice a week during the week since I am already feeling much more energetic to keep my evenings as free as possible. 

2004-03-29 1:40 PM

User image

New Hampshire
I currently get Friday night free.

just worked it out and I'm busy every other night. scary!

2004-03-29 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
My kid is only 3, but I see where the activity thing is heading. So far I'm just teaching him to do the things I like to do, so we can do them together one day. He rides his little bike with training wheels and I run alongside him, that sort of thing. He just got his first in-line skates. We're the happiest kids in the neighborhood.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » After school events/activities with my boys Rss Feed