General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Questions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-20 9:25 AM

User image

Lake Mary Florida
Subject: Brick Questions.
Hi Folks,
Just a quick brick question. I have recently done my first couple of brick workouts. Not very long ones, just a 20 to 30K bike ride followed by a 6 to 9K run. I have done these workouts drinking water only. Normally if I was just running I know that I drink only water when running up to 15 K. After that I will bring a sports drink with me. I have no idea how to guage this when doing 2 sports though. Is there a general rule? Do people usually feul on the bike so that they feel strong for the run? Do you drink water on the bike and have a sports drink for the run? I have noticed I run SLOW after getting off the bike.

Also I am very nervous on my bike. I have not ridden since childhood and I am just nervous the whole time I am riding now. Cars, speed, down hills, clips, metal bridges (that make loud noises), they all scare the begeebies out of me. Is this normal? Does it just go away with practice and time? Or are some people just like that forever?

2005-05-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #160489

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Brick Questions.
um, that's a long brick! longer than most springt tri's! You go!

As for the fear factor, I have become much more confident in relaxed in the 2 months I've been at this. Still don;t care for downhills, or fast curves, or riding w/ more than 2 people, but it's a hiuge difference from the beginning when I didn;t even want to leave the driveway. Hopefully more expereinced folks will give you tips, but I would say just be patient with yourself.
2005-05-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #160500

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
The rule - I was told by the local tri coach - is that your body runs out of fuel after one hour of medium-high intensity exercise.....so start fueling before you run out.....I can easily get through an hour run without fuel but after 1.5 hrs. I am bonking.....in terms of fears, time in the saddle will cure that...slowly...you will gradually grow more comfortable with traffic etc. steep, twisty descents still scare the hell out of me ;-)
2005-05-20 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

60-90min should be about the limit for not fueling.  Depending on how long those bricks are taking you I'd either bring a sports drink on the bike or at least have one waiting when you transition. 

Just get out there and ride more...it's become more comfortable to more you do it.

2005-05-20 10:23 AM

User image

Lake Mary Florida
Thanks for the replies. I will try that for my next brick. I will also keep right on cycling and hope that enough positive experiances make the fear go away.
Thanks again.
Sarah
2005-05-20 11:31 AM

Conroe, Texas
To cure fear of the road, just ride. As your skills on a bike improve, your fear will dissapate. Also, if you have a mountain bike, ride on some trails. Practice quick stops and changes of direction. Do some bunny hops and wheelies. Generally build your bike handling skills. Confidence will decrease your fear and increase your speed.

2005-05-20 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Water will do for the amount of brick training you are speaking of.  But, it can't hurt to sip a packet of gel or eat a protein bar in transition.

The nervousness will lessen on the bike in time.  You should, however, remain respecfully aware of motorized traffic around you.  A one second lapse in awareness could mean the difference between a wonderful ride and a terrible incident.   Ottawa has hundreds of miles of pathways along the Rideau River, the Rideau canal, and the Ottawa River.  Also, the Parkways are closed to traffic on Sundays until 12:00, beginning (I believe) in June.  That might be a good place to learn how to ride a bike in traffic of a different sort ... you will have to share the road with other cyclists, inline skaters, runners, walkers, skateboarders and pedestrians, all moving and at times stopping in the middle of the road to talk or gawk. 

2005-05-20 2:05 PM

User image

Lake Mary Florida
I just love the Sunday bike days in Ottawa. I usually run and my kids bike or rollerblade along with me. It is a fabulous way to spend the day.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Sarah
2005-05-20 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I did my second brick last weekend. It was 25K bike followed by 6k run. I had never tried gels, so I started experimenting with them. I took a gel about 15 minutes before finishing the bike, with a lot of water. It worked pretty good for the run. I felt much fresher than the first time I tried a brick, only with water.

The veterans will probably give you sounder advice, but it seemed to work for me. I went and bought a wide variety of gels yesterday and will keep experimenting this weekend.
2005-05-20 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Workouts are preparation for racing, so you need to use your race-day fueling practices in most of your workouts. A triathlete needs to train his/her stomach as well as the muscles, heart, and lungs. For your long bricks, consume 300 calories of carbohydrate and 20 ounces of water per 150 pounds per hour - regardless of whether you'd need that much to make it through the workout or not. Our nutrition needs during a workout will never be as great during a race ... since we combine race intensity and race duration only on race day. Don't make the mistake of fueling only enough for each workout and then eat and drink more on race day while going harder! That would be asking more of your stomch race day than you ever did during training, on two fronts (both more calories and higher intensity). More about race nutrition and brick workouts is available in my book The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training, available at www.Fitness-Concepts.com Good luck, Ken
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Questions. Rss Feed