Agree20 Votes - [19.42%]
Disagree83 Votes - [80.58%]

2009-09-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2409286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Is President Carter right?
Jackemy - 2009-09-16 10:04 AM
JBrashear - 2009-09-16 6:27 AM  Let's be realistic; if this had happened during Dubya's terms the GOP would be doing precisely what the Dems are doing now. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but both sides would be squeezing every last little drop out of it if it happened to a president from their party. Is Carter right? For some people, sure. I don't think anyone can adequately quantify how big a percentage that is though.

Let's be truthful; It did happen during President Bush's term. The only difference is that it was every single Democrat and not just Joe Wilson and it wasn't just the President pitching his policy but it was the State of the Union.

And no, the Democrats were not reprimanded by the GOP majority.

Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xO-ZQSoP8&NR=1

And the republicans routinely booed Clinton during his State of the Union speeches...

This is much more like Rep Stark calling Bush a liar in a speech.. And the Republicans did try and censure Stark, but couldn't get the measure passed. Stark then apologized on the floor of the House for his comments.

Edited by JustTriDave 2009-09-16 9:44 AM

2009-09-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2408911

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
Habitat for Humanity, seat belt laws, and emmission standards are three things that I will give President Carter credit for.  Now I just wish he would fade away and SHUT THE H#!! UP.
2009-09-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2409022

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JBrashear - 2009-09-16 6:27 AM

bradword - 2009-09-16 12:38 AM

The other dumb thing is, he has already said he made an apology to the President and he accepted. The only people who still seam to care are the late night comedians, and the Democrats in congress who are trying to make a show. Get over it.

Let's be realistic; if this had happened during Dubya's terms the GOP would be doing precisely what the Dems are doing now. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but both sides would be squeezing every last little drop out of it if it happened to a president from their party.

Is Carter right? For some people, sure. I don't think anyone can adequately quantify how big a percentage that is though.

On separate occasions, Harry Reid called Bush a "liar", a "loser" and referred to his mother, Barbara Bush as a "b*tch".

Where was the outrage then?

If the Democrats want to point the finger they should begin by pointing it at themselves.

2009-09-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2409423

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
scoobysdad - 2009-09-16 11:00 AM
JBrashear - 2009-09-16 6:27 AM
bradword - 2009-09-16 12:38 AM The other dumb thing is, he has already said he made an apology to the President and he accepted. The only people who still seam to care are the late night comedians, and the Democrats in congress who are trying to make a show. Get over it.
Let's be realistic; if this had happened during Dubya's terms the GOP would be doing precisely what the Dems are doing now. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but both sides would be squeezing every last little drop out of it if it happened to a president from their party. Is Carter right? For some people, sure. I don't think anyone can adequately quantify how big a percentage that is though.
On separate occasions, Harry Reid called Bush a "liar", a "loser" and referred to his mother, Barbara Bush as a "b*tch". Where was the outrage then? If the Democrats want to point the finger they should begin by pointing it at themselves.

He yelled those out at a nationally televised address to Congress? Wow, I don't remember that
2009-09-16 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

I wanted to make a comment on CNN.com on this because I think JC's gotten senile.  I knew this would happen when BO got elected but just because you don't agree with the man doesn't automatically make you a racist.  We are all free thinkers and can have our own opinions without race "being the key factor".  Hogwash!

2009-09-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2409386

User image

Master
Portland, ME
JustTriDave - 2009-09-16 9:44 AM
JBrashear - 2009-09-16 6:27 AM  Let's be realistic; if this had happened during Dubya's terms the GOP would be doing precisely what the Dems are doing now. That doesn't make it right or wrong, but both sides would be squeezing every last little drop out of it if it happened to a president from their party. Is Carter right? For some people, sure. I don't think anyone can adequately quantify how big a percentage that is though.

Let's be truthful; It did happen during President Bush's term. The only difference is that it was every single Democrat and not just Joe Wilson and it wasn't just the President pitching his policy but it was the State of the Union.

Here's the link

And the republicans routinely booed Clinton during his State of the Union speeches...

This is much more like Rep Stark calling Bush a liar in a speech.. And the Republicans did try and censure Stark, but couldn't get the measure passed. Stark then apologized on the floor of the House for his comments.

When?

No it is different than Rep Stark as it was his house floor speech and not the same situation in 2005 state of the union or with Rep Wilson as the President was addressing the congress and certain courtesy should be extended even when the President stretches the truth.

Rep Stark can't help himself because is just a moron and had an idiot for a speech writer. Rep Wilson and the 2005 Dems behavior was very inappropriate displays of decorum.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-09-16 10:15 AM

2009-09-16 10:17 AM

User image

The attorney general said we were a nation of cowards when it comes to talking about race.

Here are a couple of things to ponder.

As I understand it exit polls show that 95% of blacks voted for President Obama.

What would be said about the white population if 95% of whites voted for McCain?

Are we a country that still has racism in it, I think to a very very small degree yes. I don't think there is another nation that has such a diverse population of race and religion as the United States of America. Our gov. does not condone one race or religion over another and that is something I am very proud of.

I thought that President Obama being elected was a proud moment for the this country that we have progressed from where we started over 200 years ago to electing a man of color to the most powerful position in our country.  (I just wish he had different political leanings )

2009-09-16 10:19 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-16 10:22 AM

Master
Portland, ME

Charles Rangel who is chairman of the ways and means doesn't pay the very taxes that he oversees. 

Joe Wilson lets a moment of emotion get the best of him and tell the emperor he has no clothes.

Which one reflects more poorly on Congress as a whole? Who really should be told by his peers to go sit in the corner?

Edited by Jackemy 2009-09-16 10:23 AM
2009-09-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2409276

JorgeM - 2009-09-16 6:58 AM It is obvious racism; Wilson should have just called him a jacka**, it seems that would be ok per the Decorum in the House approved guidelines.

PS. If anyone disagrees with my opinion is obviously basing such on the fact I am Mexican and not because people have different points of views and disagreements happen all the time...

You're Mexican I'm going to have to revisit my friends list

2009-09-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2409025

2009-09-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2409463

2009-09-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2409458

Extreme Veteran
Jackemy - 2009-09-16 11:15 AM

Here's the link

When?

No it is different than Rep Stark as it was his house floor speech and not the same situation in 2005 state of the union or with Rep Wilson as the President was addressing the congress and certain courtesy should be extended even when the President stretches the truth.

Rep Stark can't help himself because is just a moron and had an idiot for a speech writer. Rep Wilson and the 2005 Dems behavior was very inappropriate displays of decorum.

•“Clinton’s proposal to expand Medicare to allow Americans as young as 55 to buy into the system drew shouts of “no” and some boos from Republicans during his speech.” [Chicago Tribune, 1/28/98]
•“Only once did they unmistakably and collectively show their disapproval — when Clinton spoke disparagingly of a GOP-sponsored constitutional amendment to balance the budget. Many Republicans hissed and some booed.” [Los Angeles Times, 2/5/97]
•“The upheaval wrought by the Republican election landslide was visible throughout the president’s State of the Union address — from the moment Speaker Newt Gingrich took the gavel to the striking silence that often greeted Clinton from the GOP. At one point, Republicans even booed. About 20 of them left as Clinton went on and on for an hour and 20 minutes.” [Associated Press, 1/24/95]
2009-09-16 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2409588

AcesFull - 2009-09-16 9:08 AM

crusevegas - 2009-09-16 10:17 AM

The attorney general said we were a nation of cowards when it comes to talking about race.

Here are a couple of things to ponder.

As I understand it exit polls show that 95% of blacks voted for President Obama.

What would be said about the white population if 95% of whites voted for McCain?

Are we a country that still has racism in it, I think to a very very small degree yes. I don't think there is another nation that has such a diverse population of race and religion as the United States of America. Our gov. does not condone one race or religion over another and that is something I am very proud of.

I thought that President Obama being elected was a proud moment for the this country that we have progressed from where we started over 200 years ago to electing a man of color to the most powerful position in our country.  (I just wish he had different political leanings )

Clinton, Gore and Kerry got almost as much support from black voters as did Obama.  Don't think race had anything to do with that.

And I don't think race had anything to do with Wilson's outburst.  It was what it was, but it was not racial.

I didn't know that thanks for pointing it out..

I saw some contradictions from a few different sources in these numbers, but these are pretty close.

Kerry 88%

Al Gore 90%

Clinton 82%

Expert
Hatboro, PA
I think it is interesting that if you disagreed with President Bush, then you were un-American or a terrorist.

Now, if you disagree with Obama, you are a racist.  (During the campaign, people were called sexist for not agreeing with Hillary Clinton, but she didn't win, so we must be a nation of sexists, too.)

What comes next?

2009-09-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2409631

2009-09-16 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2409635

2009-09-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2409632

PennState - 2009-09-16 9:23 AM

Interesting observation here...

The vast majority of the comments are generally negative in regards to Carter's statement (and for that fact Wilson's behavior)

But the current poll has 21% of responders agreeing with the concept that Obama's detractors have their roots in racism (the OP's poll question)

It must be easier to anonymously agree (ie; just vote in the poll) with this statement than to put your screen name behind that very thing and voice how you feel as though Obama's critics have their roots in racism?

Thoughts?

I heard this on tv once and I don't know if it was a joke or serious, but

How do you know you are winning an argument with a liberal? ,,,,, When they call you a racist.

2009-09-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2409670

Pro
Hailey, ID
crusevegas - 2009-09-16 10:36 AM

PennState - 2009-09-16 9:23 AM

Interesting observation here...

The vast majority of the comments are generally negative in regards to Carter's statement (and for that fact Wilson's behavior)

But the current poll has 21% of responders agreeing with the concept that Obama's detractors have their roots in racism (the OP's poll question)

It must be easier to anonymously agree (ie; just vote in the poll) with this statement than to put your screen name behind that very thing and voice how you feel as though Obama's critics have their roots in racism?

Thoughts?

I heard this on tv once and I don't know if it was a joke or serious, but

How do you know you are winning an argument with a liberal? ,,,,, When they call you a racist.

That joke is so racist
2009-09-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2409058

Champion
Philly 'burbs
PennState - 2009-09-16 8:04 AM The pertinent quote from the above reference:

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he is African-American," Carter said.

Thankfully Pres. Carter isn't generalizing about white people...

Intensely demonstrated animosity. Say it with me; intensely demonstrated animosity. How do people get from that to saying that Carter is suggesting anyone who disagrees with Obama is racist? Jumps like that can get you a gold medal at the summer games.

One other thought that always comes to mind when I hear or read anyone going on about who the majority of Americans voted for:

the US population > US citizens of voting age > registered voters > those who voted > those who voted for candidate X

2009-09-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2409589

Master
Portland, ME
JustTriDave - 2009-09-16 11:08 AM
Jackemy - 2009-09-16 11:15 AM

Here's the link

When?

•“Clinton’s proposal to expand Medicare to allow Americans as young as 55 to buy into the system drew shouts of “no” and some boos from Republicans during his speech.” [Chicago Tribune, 1/28/98]
•“Only once did they unmistakably and collectively show their disapproval — when Clinton spoke disparagingly of a GOP-sponsored constitutional amendment to balance the budget. Many Republicans hissed and some booed.” [Los Angeles Times, 2/5/97]
•“The upheaval wrought by the Republican election landslide was visible throughout the president’s State of the Union address — from the moment Speaker Newt Gingrich took the gavel to the striking silence that often greeted Clinton from the GOP. At one point, Republicans even booed. About 20 of them left as Clinton went on and on for an hour and 20 minutes.” [Associated Press, 1/24/95]

Wow, I didn't intend to waste an hour of your day searching the internet for newpaper clippings. But, three examples on an 8 year term of a President that could drone on for days when he spoke is hardly routine.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-09-16 12:03 PM
2009-09-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2409247

Master
Living in the past
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 8:50 AM
PennState - 2009-09-16 7:04 AM The pertinent quote from the above reference:

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he is African-American," Carter said.

Just to parse this article even further, I think you can take it a step further and say that the pertinent section is “intensely demonstrated animosity”.  I don’t have the impression that Carter’s saying that everyone who criticizes the President or disagrees with him is doing so because he’s black, only that there is a section of the population who seems outraged past the point of reason or logic. I can’t help but wonder whether, for a lot of these people, the outrage is based on their anger at seeing a person in the Oval Office whom they think is inherently incapable of holding such an office.    

If Carter’s saying that all criticism of the President is racially motivated, then that’s absurd and I disagree, but it’s not unreasonable to suggest that there’s a pretty large contingent of people in this country who can’t get their head around the idea of a black man holding the highest office in the US. 

Huh? Isn't that was this whole thread boils down to? Unsubstantiated over generalizations?
2009-09-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2409247

Champion
Philly 'burbs
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-16 9:50 AM
PennState - 2009-09-16 7:04 AM The pertinent quote from the above reference:

Just to parse this article even further, I think you can take it a step further and say that the pertinent section is “intensely demonstrated animosity”.  I don’t have the impression that Carter’s saying that everyone who criticizes the President or disagrees with him is doing so because he’s black, only that there is a section of the population who seems outraged past the point of reason or logic. I can’t help but wonder whether, for a lot of these people, the outrage is based on their anger at seeing a person in the Oval Office whom they think is inherently incapable of holding such an office.    

If Carter’s saying that all criticism of the President is racially motivated, then that’s absurd and I disagree, but it’s not unreasonable to suggest that there’s a pretty large contingent of people in this country who can’t get their head around the idea of a black man holding the highest office in the US. 

I just posted pretty much what you had already posted. Imagine that. I suppose I should read more....
2009-09-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2409236

Champion
Frisco, TX

Marvarnett - 2009-09-16 8:45 AM I didn't hear about what Pres Carter said, but I did hear this morning that the Black Caucus said the outburst was rooted in racism.  My initial response was, "Are you kidding?!" 

People can choose to 'see' the race card anywhere they want.  Unfortunately, if someone challenges when a black says it's racist that person is called a racist.  It's stupid.  So NO, it wasn't racist, rooted in racism or anything close.

Was it poor form?  Sure.  But I'm ok with that.

To those that are saying the Dem's said all this stuff about Bush...sure they did.  The difference here is that they didn't yell it out during a presidential speech. 

Then again, GW didn't summon both houses of Congress together for a speech on a domestic policy issues like no child left behind or medicare prescription benefit either - generally speaking that setting for a speech is reserved for the State of the Union address and big, big foreign policy issues like 9/11 or declarations of war, etc.  Personally, I have Obama-fatigue... I am tired of seeing and hearing him everywhere...  If it is not him, then it is someone talking about him - positive or negative...  Let's have the next election already; divide up the branches between Dems and Repubs so that nothing gets accomplished - that sure seems to work out better for the public...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is President Carter right? Rss Feed  

of 7