firm racing
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 56s
Overall Rank = 209/230
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Slept pretty well, ate breakfast of toast with PB, one egg, and canadian bacon. Drank water and diet Pepsi and hope be empty but hydrated before the Tri.
Event warmup:

About 35 minutes from my estimated start, I ran 10 minutes with two accels to get above aerobice zone. Then I switched and biked for 10 minutes. I went out on the course and was with all the fast people..it was kind of funny, coming in with the first 30 competitors. Reset my tranistion area, and went to the pool area. I was about 25-30 people until my number was called. They put us in the water based on estimated swim time. I was 192, swim estimate 7 minutes. People went every 20 seconds so I was about 64 minnutes after the start.
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was feeling okay with the swim and did the first 50 in just under a minute since the 3rd person hadn't left when I got back. I felt a bit unnerved and after the next lenght did some sweet spot to breath and try and relax. In the second lane a zig zag swimmer bonked into my head. Probably after about 200 yards felt better and in controll. HR was way up compared to swim practice in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Try to work on feeling calm and swim like I do in practice, slow long and easy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I did well and kept calm. Put on my riding wind/rain jacket, but the zipper jammed on the fabric. Just went with it and ran off to the start of the bike. I had the worse bike rack farthest from all the racing...but met nice people and had plenty of space.
Bike
  • 38m 50s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 14.37 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a hilly course. I'm good at the downhills, but not so good going up...extra weight helps you roll further. I did pass people on the bike which is a nice feeling. I hit 36.8 mph going down one long hill. I dreaded going back up. It was pretty course near farms and under lots of shade..it would be great if it was hot out. My race plan's number one goal was to have fun. I thanked all the Lion's volunteers along the race and tried to say something to everyone who was going the other direction and people who passed me or I passed. I found the feel of this race much better and everyone was friendly.

I could improve if I could get better going up hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

My feet will still wet after the bike, and I opted to put socks on in T2 to run in. Hard to get socks on wet sticky feet.

I should have taken off my jacket by pulling it over my head and leaving it at T2.
Run
  • 40m 31s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were tired and all that uphill made it a tough go. I walked three times...first for about 1:15, the other two times less, I was trying to get HR down and run in my comfortable aerobic zone...but it just wouldn't go lower. I did do my ChiRunning on the downhill and picked up some time. I did pass one person on the run, but was passed by many. State HS Hockey team was on the run course..didn't know how far we were, tried to be friendly, most were listening to their IPods.

Keep on running...I am getting better...I have lots of room for improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs from husband Kevin, Shasha and Emily. Tried to keep walking for about 5 minutes. I should have done my leg drains. Felt glad it was over....it was hard but fun, and I felt good making my goal time which was 87-93 minutes and beat the 3rd place time from last year in my group...which I did all three. I played mind games with myself on the run, about walking. I realized not walking wasn't a goal which allowed me to walk a little bit. Had some great water flavored with lemonade and some snacks. It was very cold and I was chilled and should have brough my change of clothes out of the car, so I could have showered and changed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being overweight, and slow basically at all three events...I do rock at T1 and T2!!

Event comments:

I liked a lot about this race...well organized, nice competitors, challenging terrain. I improved greatly from my first Tri....about 40 seconds per 100 in swim, over 2 mph on the bike, and about .67 mph on the run...I was proud of myself. Getting better takes lots of work...I have lot room to improve. I'm glad I had fun and enjoyed myself which was my number one goal.

In my first sprint, I was at 1:53, so coming in at 1:30 felt awesome. To make it equal, I'd have to add 7 minutes to make swim equal and add a bit for about .7 miles shorter on bike...but still is maybe a 15 minute improvement.

Burned over 1500 calories and I'm hungry today. Tried to upload pictures with no success.

Last updated: 2005-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 250 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 217/230
Performance: Average
Official numbers are not online yet...will go by my Polar and update later.Average HR 143, max at 162 Time includes getting out of the pool and running outside over timing mat.
Suit:
Course: Go out and back in each of the five lanes. Swimmers start every 20 seconds so about 2-4 people per lane depending on speed.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:50 | 9.3 miles | 14.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 175/230
Performance: Average
HR averaged 154, max 189
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and then around a cirlce to the right and back. One place got mixed up which way to go...no one there directing traffic...went straight, but saw others coming towards us on the left Y. Misled someone behind me...got back on track quickly.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:31 | 03.2 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 219/230
Performance: Good
max HR 228( electric interferance?), average HR 154
Course: Out, one circle going up about half way and then down on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 6:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon

2005-05-22 6:43 PM
in reply to: #161379

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon
Awesome job!!! Congratulations on inproving so much over last year.  You must be so happy!!!  Keep training and you will be even better.  Have fun and train hard -SMO
2005-05-22 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Kathy,

Great race!!! Congrats on a big time improvement from last year. Also a tough race in less than ideal conditions. Way to go!!!

2005-05-22 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to go, awesome improvements and rocking transitions!

Ken
2005-05-22 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Good job Kathy!!  Keep up the good work.
2005-05-26 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Kathy,

You've come a long way, baby!  Good job on the race.

2005-05-26 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to go Kathy!! Dragging yourself AND your bike uphill, that's eternal problem isn't it? Same here, I can descend like a maniac, but going uphill hurts - a lot... You put in a solid effort and I think it was very great of you to thank the volunteers as you did your race. Outstanding!

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lions Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed