United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 52s
Overall Rank = 58/111
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00. Ate breakfast - Golean, Milk, OJ, Coffee. Arrived at the venue about 6:15. Set up transition area. Visited port-o-potty a couple times.

Event warmup:

Rode bike downt he road a couple miles and back to transition. Then, ran about 1/2 mile down the road and back. About 15 minutes before pre-race meeting, put on wetsuit and swam out about 100 m and back.
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first open water race. It was very difficult for me. About 200 m out, I started having a panic attack brought on by not being able to breath. For several minutes, I fought with breathing, trying to rest, my chest feeling constricted. I reached back and unhooked my wetsuit collar in order to breath easier. After a couple of minutes, I calmed down and got into a rhythm. Unfortunately, my navigation was poor. I kept zig zagging across the course. The last half of the swim I felt pretty comfortable.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up better. When I swim in the pool, if I don't warm up well, during my hard swims I have trouble breathing; just like in this race. Practice sighting. Sight more often in order to stay straight.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I had trouble getting my wetsuit over my heels. I did sort of take my time in T1. The swim had me pretty worked up. I tried to relax and regain composure.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 31s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt very comfortable on my bike. I was in my element after a disastorous swim. Kept HR a few beats below LT, except for the climbs. My HR averaged 157 on the bike. I put a 12x27 on my bike for this race and glad I did. The 27 came in handy on the hills. I didn't have to stand to climb except for the very steep last pitch on the long hill and the transition monster hill.

Not much. I felt good about the bike. I think I went out just hard enough because I got in the run fairly easily. Maybe leave a little more on the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Good T2. Got everything off and on quickly.

Open up the shoe laces when setting up transition.
Run
  • 57m 4s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I drank too much on the bike. I felt bloated and needed to pee. After a couple miles the bloated feeling went away. I got into the run much easier than when I did a brick on this course a couple weeks ago. I ran a 9:35 pace today. A month and a half ago I ran an 8:52 pace in a 10k road race. I'm just not a very fast runner, so a 9:35 after swimming and biking isn't so bad - I guess.

Track my pace by using the lap function on the watch. For some reason I just forgot to do this. I think I would have felt better about my run if I would have had this feedback.

Need more training and practice running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Drank a bottle of Endurox. Ate oranges and watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Panic attack on the swim. Swim navigation.

Last updated: 2005-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 0/111
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course was a rectangular, counter clockwise loop that ended at a different point than the start. The start had everyone going through a narrow pass out into the lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:31 | 25.2 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back course. 5 climbs. The first was about 100 yards out from T1 and was short and steep. The second was about a quarter mile further. The first 8 miles was with a tail wind. At mile 10 is a long downhill into a canyon. At mile 11 is a long climb (about 1 mile) out of the canyon. Just past the top of this hill is the turn around. Back down the hill and up the other side of the canyon. Then turn back into the head wind. Just before transition, is a climb and down to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:04 | 06.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Performance: Average
My HR crept up steadily. By the end of the run it was consistently in the 170s.
Course: Flat out and back. The temperature was rising quickly. The run was pretty hot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 11:40 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon

2005-05-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #161544

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon

Sounds like a tough course and you still did a great job!  It says alot that you're run pace changed so much.  Yikes that heat sounds daunting.

Thanks for the good tip on the 12x27.  Hard to guess about how steep the hills really are from pictures. (I'll be down to Lubbock for the HIM)  Thanks for the details in the race report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon Rss Feed