General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cool article about autistic kids benefitting from running cross country Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-24 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Cool article about autistic kids benefitting from running cross country
http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/dublin/stories/2009/09/23/0923duccrunner_ln.html

With support, students cover the course
Autistic runners inspire teammates

Wednesday,  September 23, 2009 1:01 PM
ThisWeek Staff Writer
Dublin Coffman High School sophomore Luke Margaroli, left, helps to guide sophomore cross country runner Patrick Ziegler along the Emerald Parkway trail during a Sept. 18 practice. Ziegler, who has a limited verbal form of autism, runs the course with the assistance of his fellow student.
By Adam Cairns/ThisWeek
Dublin Coffman High School sophomore Luke Margaroli, left, helps to guide sophomore cross country runner Patrick Ziegler along the Emerald Parkway trail during a Sept. 18 practice. Ziegler, who has a limited verbal form of autism, runs the course with the assistance of his fellow student.
Dublin Coffman High School freshman cross country runner Chloe Williams, right, follows senior Jamie Mills. Williams, who has a non-verbal form of autism, relies on Mills for guidance along the course and communicates through sign language.
By Adam Cairns/ThisWeek
Dublin Coffman High School freshman cross country runner Chloe Williams, right, follows senior Jamie Mills. Williams, who has a non-verbal form of autism, relies on Mills for guidance along the course and communicates through sign language.
Luke Margaroli runs the cross country course during the Sept. 18 practice with  Patrick Ziegler.
By Adam Cairns/ThisWeek
Luke Margaroli runs the cross country course during the Sept. 18 practice with Patrick Ziegler.
Jamie Mills signs to Chloe Williams about the upcoming changes in the cross country course during a recent race.
Submitted by Michelle Williams
Jamie Mills signs to Chloe Williams about the upcoming changes in the cross country course during a recent race.
Although freshman Chloe Williams and sophomore Patrick Ziegler are vastly different in many ways, the Dublin Coffman High School students do share a few uncommon traits.

Both Williams and Ziegler have autism, which is a pervasive developmental disorder characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication, an extremely limited range of activities and interests, and often the presence of repetitive, stereotyped behaviors.

But with the help of family members, friends and teachers, both Williams and Ziegler have overcome their autism to become a part of Coffman's cross country program.

Peggy Mills, who works as an adapted physical education teacher for Dublin schools, said the experience is a major breakthrough for Williams and Ziegler, who are unable to express themselves verbally and therefore used to avoid being in social situations.

"The wonderful thing about Chloe and Patrick running cross country is they're benefiting from the experience both physically and socially," Mills said. "They're good athletes and they deserve the opportunity to run with and compete with other kids their age. They have special needs, but the key that makes this program work is they have great support from their families, the paraprofessionals within our school district and their peers, who volunteer their time to help out in any way they can."

To ensure their safety, Williams and Ziegler are accompanied by a special needs aide during practices and cross country meets. In addition, Coffman athletics director Tony Pusateri obtained written permission from the OHSAA for a student to run with Williams and Ziegler during cross country meets. Senior Jamie Mills runs alongside Williams and helps guide her through the course, and sophomore Luke Margaroli does the same for Ziegler.

Even though Williams isn't able to interact with Jamie Mills verbally, she understands sign language.

When Jamie Mills needs to encourage Williams to begin or continue running, she hooks her right index finger inside her left thumb, points her left index finger forward and shakes her hands forward.

Jamie Mills, a fourth-year member of the cross country program, said she's having more fun running with Williams than she did when she was competing on her own.

"I didn't like the competitive side of racing, but I still wanted to run cross country, so this is a good opportunity for me, too," Jamie Mills said. "I try to pace (Williams) because she tends to try to walk at the start of races, but once I get her running, she really likes it and she usually doesn't stop. If I run in front of her, she'll catch up to me. She's in really good shape. She can run five miles without stopping."

The races haven't always gone smoothly for Williams and Ziegler, who sometimes slow down or stop when they get distracted by fans cheering along a course.

In his first open race of the season, the Pickerington Classic on Aug. 29 at Pickerington North, Ziegler began to run when the gun sounded, but then slowed to a walk and held his ears after being passed by a large pack of runners.

After being encouraged by Margaroli and Peggy Mills, Ziegler gradually began running again and finished the race in second-to-last place in 42 minutes, 56.15 seconds. Seven days later in the Westerville Classic at Westerville North, Ziegler finished in 30:03, beating 11 other competitors.

"Patrick's improved so quickly, and I've seen the socialization process getting better for him as well," Coffman boys coach Chad Biegler said. "The first time he tried it, he couldn't handle running in the rain, but the last time it rained, it wasn't a problem for him. He's starting to interact with his teammates more, too. When he had his big breakthrough at Westerville, he was shaking people's hands and he had a big smile on his face."

Standing 5-foot-11 and weighing 130 pounds, Ziegler has a prototypical runner's build, and Margaroli said he hasn't yet come close to reaching his athletic potential.

"Patrick's still learning to race, but he's in outstanding shape, and he could run 30 miles if he wanted to," Margaroli said. "Patrick doesn't have any trouble finishing races. I'm just there to help when we need to change direction on a confusing course or to encourage him to speed up. When I say 'to grandma's house,' that gets him running faster, because he really likes going there."

After finishing 269th of 275 athletes in 34:31.01 in the open race of the Pickerington Classic, Williams improved her time to 31:03 and finished 250th of 271 runners in the Westerville Classic.

"Chloe's improved a lot in a short amount of time and she's beaten people in every race," Coffman girls coach Jim Ferguson said. "She seems to be enjoying herself and her teammates have enjoyed having her on the team as well."

Junior Robbie Daulton, who is one of the boys team's top performers, said he and his teammates are inspired by Williams and Ziegler.

"It's really cool to have them as part of our team and see them overcome deficits to compete with and even beat runners who don't have any disabilities," Daulton said. "They're both in really good shape, and they have good form and good technique. I think about how strong they are in practice every day and it makes me want to do my best, too."

Jack and Michelle Williams said running has had a positive impact on their daughter's physical and mental health.

"Running five miles a day has not only kept Chloe in shape, but it's also helping her sleep better," Michelle Williams said. "There's just something about running that she really likes, and she really enjoys spending time with her peers. We took her out to dinner for her 15th birthday (Sept. 17) and the hostess recognized Chloe and came over and said, 'Hello,' because she's seen her warming up with the cross country team. Chloe's learned and benefited from being around her teammates, and they've learned tolerance and that everyone isn't the same from being around her."

Mike and Normajean Ziegler have noticed that their son is beginning to interact more with his teammates at practices and meets.

"It's a social piece for Patrick," Mike Ziegler said. "He's being forced to talk and participate with other kids, and that's the best way to learn more words and more language. A few years ago, if you were to say, 'Hi,' he wouldn't acknowledge you. Now he says, 'Hi,' back to people and he's shaking hands and high-fiving with people after he's done running. Where he used to flee from social situations, he's now looking forward to them."

Williams and Ziegler appear to enjoy the thunderous applause they receive when they cross the finish line.

"What tugs at your heart is when you see a runner coming in late, and all these people from different teams and communities gather at the finish line and clap and cheer for them to finish," Michael Ziegler said. "It's huge for kids to hear that and you can see it on their faces. That's what it's all about."

2009-09-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2424909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Subject: RE: Cool article about autistic kids benefitting from running cross country
Great article, my son is autistic and runs CC, this is his second your and is doing well. I get approval from the RD before each race so I can run with him. We mostly walk run our goal is to always catch the person in front of us. So far we have a perfect record of coming in last, but we always get the biggest cheers.

Interesting reference to the rain, when it rains we are a no go he freaks out when it rains. He can swim all day we have to pull him out of the water, but rain really gets to him, I know its a sensory thing. I think he really likes to participate he 13 and going through the change and is starting to notice the girls cheering him on, even though he has a hard time communicating with them he certainly knows they are their.

It is a great opportunity for Autistics to participate in team sports and still race on their own and not impede on what's going on ahead. Next year I'm thinking of doing a sprint relay, biking on our tandem, and doing the run, with him.

A great tri organization we belong to is train4autism.org that help raise money for Autism based organizations, Michael Lavato and Sarah Haskins are their primary charity they help with.

Tim

2009-09-24 8:50 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cool article about autistic kids benefitting from running cross country

Very cool article.  Great way to build the kids  social and physical skills too!

2009-09-24 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2425448

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Awesome!

As a nutritionist - I work a lot with autistic kids and their families, implementing GFCF diets ... it makes my heart happy to read and hear of other programs like this, that support and help these kids. Just awesome.
2009-09-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2425247

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
timdude - 2009-09-24 6:23 PM A great tri organization we belong to is train4autism.org that help raise money for Autism based organizations, Michael Lavato and Sarah Haskins are their primary charity they help with. Tim

Tim, thank you for making me aware of the train4autism.org site!  I hadn't come across it before but have been looking for something like this to dedicate my races to.  I will be signing up immediately so I can start raising money.

I too have a son that is autistic.  He is 10 years old and severely afflicted.  Because he also has many seizures daily, he cannot run or bike with me.  None the less, we do a lot of my run training together.  I have a special needs jogging stroller that I push him in.  He gets really excited whenever we head for the corner of the garage where the stroller is kept.  As I push him down the street in our neighborhood, he sits back, closes his eyes, smiles (which he doesn't do a whole lot of otherwise) and turns his face into the wind.  I think it is a 1-2 hour "break from life" that he really looks forward to.
2009-09-25 12:27 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Is it just me or is it allergy season in here? *sniff*

This is so very cool. Kids can be so incredibly mean to others, but to see the team - and all the other teams - rallying support for these kids, to hear the praise from everyone ("such great physical shape" "improving socially" etc.) is awesome. Many kudos to everyone involved in making this happen!

2009-09-25 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
x2. Thanks for sharing it! I've already passed it on.
2009-09-25 8:00 AM

Veteran
Florida
My son has Autism as well, thanks for posting that article, very cool!

He completed his first Tri last year, and had a blast. He runs everyday, and loves the water also

You want interesting times, have a teenager with Autism.

My wife and I support generationrescue.org, and I have some racing/training tops with the organizations web site address on them. I have about 5( not sure of the sizes i think they are larges) of them left so if anyone wants one to wear let me know and I will send you one at no charge if I have the size you wear.

I dont agree 100% with everything they do, but overall a great resource of parents and am proud to represent them
I am trying to post picture of them
2009-09-25 8:06 AM

Veteran
Florida
sorry double post

Edited by Millco 2009-09-25 8:07 AM
2009-09-25 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2425571

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Hey Health_Doc you should look into a Bilenky Viewpoint or a Hase Pino, it's a semi recumbent tandem that is very adaptable. The captain sits on a road setup with a recumbent seat upfront for your son. They can adapt them so he would not have to pedal, just strap him in a ride, leg and feet holders and all. Very neat setup

Health_Doc - 2009-09-24 11:16 PM
  Because he also has many seizures daily, he cannot run or bike with me.  None the less, we do a lot of my run training together.  I have a special needs jogging stroller that I push him in.  He gets really excited whenever we head for the corner of the garage where the stroller is kept.  As I push him down the street in our neighborhood, he sits back, closes his eyes, smiles (which he doesn't do a whole lot of otherwise) and turns his face into the wind.  I think it is a 1-2 hour "break from life" that he really looks forward to.

(12.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
12.jpg (32KB - 10 downloads)
2009-09-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2426458

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
timdude - 2009-09-25 2:18 PM Hey Health_Doc you should look into a Bilenky Viewpoint or a Hase Pino, it's a semi recumbent tandem that is very adaptable. The captain sits on a road setup with a recumbent seat upfront for your son. They can adapt them so he would not have to pedal, just strap him in a ride, leg and feet holders and all. Very neat setup

Hey, I saw a few of them at the Bike Philly recently!  Very cool! I thought it was an awesome way for parents with disabled kids who can't ride independently or even with a regular tandem to get out on the bike.

2009-09-25 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Love this read!  I, too, have a son on the spectrum and will encourage him to run as he gets older (he's 6). It is great to see that there is a program out there that is helping our kids and I love how the other students are encouraging and guiding the ASD teammates.  Big kudos to the teacher for organizing this and I hope more schools follow suite.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cool article about autistic kids benefitting from running cross country Rss Feed