General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Conflicting emotions/post-triathlum depression Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-05-24 10:12 AM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: Conflicting emotions/post-triathlum depression

So I finished my first triathlon this 2 days ago. I walked around smiling after my finish and everytime I think of my finish, I smile. That's all good. However, I feel embarassed and disappointed in how slow my bike and run was/is. This feeling is ruining my overall feeling about my first tri.

Intellectually, I know that I did the best I could given 3 months of training. From mid-Feb through March I did really good (except with my run) with my training discipline; April it pretty much fell apart and May (after being re-inspired by the BTers at St. A's) I became very disciplined and missed only 1 run. I know I've made steady improvements in my cycling; my clipped-clipless pedals and I have learned to live together. So, I'm pretty sure I did the best I could given the preparation I put into it.

Emotionally, however, I can't seem to get past this feeling of disappointment in my performance. Anyone else experience this with their first (or any) triathlon?

2005-05-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #162469

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Conflicting emotions/post-triathlum depression
I think it's good if you have a little disappointment with your performance (key word is "little" ) ; use that as a motivator to train harder and wiser and improve going forward. But don't let that taint your whole experience.

Edited by the bear 2005-05-24 10:20 AM
2005-05-24 10:20 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

BUCK UP Renee!!  YOU FINISHED!!!!     Now that you know what it takes to finish, now you can work on improving your training, physical and mental.  And understand what kind of pace you need to in your next event you can do a good run.   :-)

KEEP IT UP YOUNG LADY!!!!

2005-05-24 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Renee - 2005-05-24 9:12 AM

So I finished my first triathlon this 2 days ago.

That right there is enough to smile forever!  You have already accomplished more than 95% of the population.  Now, you can just continue training and work improve your times!

GREAT JOB, RENEE! 

2005-05-24 10:29 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
You may also be having some normal post-event depression (http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17778&posts=11#s). Give it a couple of days and go back and look at your photos, etc...the excitement from just finishing will come back.

I spent two or three days depressed and angry (after the initial post thrill wore off). I didn't push myself on the bike, I could've shaved SIX minutes off my time by not dinking around in transition, I STROLLED from the beach to T1 and went from FOMOP swim finish (out of the water) to BOP swim finish (official time across the mat) because everybody else ran. But you know, it doesn't matter. I won't do those things next time, I've learned from it. And the after the post-whatever wore off, I was back to being excited and happy to just have finished. You'll be OK. I think it's pretty normal for people who are goal oriented to be deflated after completing a major goal.

And -- congrats on finishing your first tri!

Edited by madeye 2005-05-24 10:31 AM
2005-05-24 10:35 AM

User image

Buttercup

On the other hand, I am very proud of my war wound! Elbow to the chest during the swim melee...

No peanut gallery remarks!

(Picture 204.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Picture 204.jpg (66KB - 17 downloads)

2005-05-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #162491

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Nice. A breast shiner!

Glad I don't have to swim with those brutish chicks.

Edited by the bear 2005-05-24 10:38 AM
2005-05-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: #162493

User image

Buttercup

Who knew 40+ women were so savage?!

I have a lunch date (first) in 15 minutes. Think I'll scare him off if I give him a modest peek at the shiner?

2005-05-24 10:51 AM

User image

Queen BTich
The feeling you have is normal. Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.
I was very proud of my last race time, almost beat my (MALE) training partner. My time was 6 minutes slower. I was very excited at first that I even came to his time, then the doubts rolled in...
"what if i had not stopped for the bathroom and then waited at the aid station for him on the run (because i knew he was behind me), what if I actually pushed myself (I was taking the bike really easy)" I had neverending "what ifs"
Just tell yourself that you've learned and you can improve next time.

Besides, that blow to the chest must have slowed you down a bit! Did it knock the wind out of you?

(I WILL beat him at Macon half-IM next week!!)
2005-05-24 10:53 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Cool. That feeling tells me that down deep you REALLY know that you are capable of much more. You're not ultimately settling for a superficial "triumph" when you know there is more to do.

Nothing wrong with being disappointed in your performance. Accept the little victory and get back to work on improvement. I've been disappointed with my performance many times ... it's what motivates me to keep working hard to get better. Never settle.

Striving for satisfying performance is likely the unifying aspect of everyone trying to be as successful as they can [regardless of ability and/or experience].

Balance. Don't dwell on the positive or the negative. Keep conscious of both.

-----------------------------

You are proud of the bruise. What more can be said? It's all about the bruises.

Edited by TripleThreat 2005-05-24 10:55 AM
2005-05-24 10:53 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
First, congratulations Triathlete!

Don't be too dissappointed with your performance, after all, you finished. From your report it seems like you made it through a tough first tri on limited training. You've learned lots and you'll surely get better results next time for your experiences. Be proud, you've earned it!

2005-05-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: #162503

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Renee - 2005-05-24 9:43 AM

Who knew 40+ women were so savage?!

I have a lunch date (first) in 15 minutes. Think I'll scare him off if I give him a modest peek at the shiner?

First date peek at the breast shiner might come off as a little too aggressive. I'd wait and feel him out (not literally) first.

2005-05-24 11:11 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
NICE BRUISE!!!!!    Hope you didn't flash it on your lunch date!!
2005-05-24 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Renee..I went thru the same thing after my first tri...I'll PM you the details...but anyway...Take a recovery week and you will get over it.  We will hit flatwoods together and I'll kick your biking butt into shape and you will get FASTER!!!!!  Can't do much about the running.. I think you just ahve to stick with it.  Hope the date went well -SMO
2005-05-24 11:50 AM

Champion
Get a coupla tattoos there and it'll be easier to survive the next hit!

2005-05-24 12:19 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey Renee,

I am now in my 2nd year of triathlon and one of the best parts is that I can run some of the same events I did last year, and now enjoy some better performances.  Its a huge contrast to where I was last year.

You can beat yourself up forever for not doing as good as you would like, but you can also take a HUGE amount of pride in your accomplishments and keep building on them.  It may be a slow, gradual process to meet all of your goals, but you are WAY ahead of the game already!

Congrats on putting that first notch on your tri-belt!

Danny

2005-05-24 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Yes, I think what you're feeling is normal... I felt the same way after my first race... except I wasn't even that jazzed that I finished... Once I saw my time, and saw how miserably I did on the run, I was entirely disgusted with the whole idea and minimalized it... people were proud of me and I was like "Yeah, well I didn't do that well!"

So I signed up for another race... same thing.

I signed up for yet ANOTHER race... only this time it was storming and raining, and I couldn't concentrate on anything except NOT falling off my bike... I couldn't even find the time or mind energy to beat myself up over this performance because I was concentrating on not killing myself by sliding downhill on the wet pavement. I still don't know what my time was in that race... and I decided then that I was going to ignore the importance of "rankings" and "times" all together, from that point forward. It didn't really matter. 

Now, I concentrate on improving over those prior performances... and trying to get better (at least in SOME respect) each time I race...that way, even if I'm miserable on the run, or slow on the bike, I can point to some improvement I've made. Also, I've stopped making my important goals about a specific outcome, and decided I'd try to make them more performance driven... so instead of finishing at a certain time or in a certain placement, my goal would be to "keep my elbows high throughout the swim..." or "pull up after the bottom of the pedal stroke"... if I concentrate on those things, then I'm bound to have a better swim/bike or run!!! PLUS, I might feel better because I wouldn't have failed to reach any specific goals! I can feel like I achieved something... that is, what I specifically set out that morning to achieve.

For example, I rode with the "serious" bike group this weekend... My goal was to hang with them, not get dropped, not get lost, pedal evenly through each stroke, maintain a pace of at least 16 mph, and return alive. 54 miles later, I'd met all those goals, but I still felt a wee bit disappointed because I didn't feel like I'd done well enough... I did hang, but they ALMOST dropped me! I had to remind myself (multiple times) that I DID accomplish what I set out to accomplish, and each time I go out with them now, I'm going to focus on improving. We all have to start someplace... and I think that can be difficult to remember... especially if you're at all competitive by nature.

I'm not sure when this became a meandering dissertation on goals. Sorry for digressing.

Renee, you did great. Next time you will do even better and the time after that... etc etc... Nice work. We're proud of you!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-05-24 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Congratulations!!!!!!
I know it is easier said than done but: Don't worry about times (yet) .
You did it! You did it! You did it!
You gain experience!!!!! Now you know what to expect. That will help with your times.
Now, what would you do different in your training? It is time to fine tune your training.
I am also a beginner but there are couple things I learned from my marathon training.
Run: I looked at your logs. I see you focused on swimming. To get better at running you have to run more. You need to incorporate a log run a week (at least 6 miles) that will help you to built a good base. Now that I can run longer distance I got faster in my short runs.
When biking, remember to spin (easier gear) the last mile of the bike leg. That will help your legs for the run.
Bike: Do you have access to spinning classes? You may want to give that a try. Since I do not ride during the week I either go to a spinning class or I jump in my trainer and do Spinerval DVD. It is working great for my base and I do not get bored.
You should be proud! One done, many more to go ....
2005-05-24 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Hey Renee!

What you are feeling is normal.  It happened to me, too.  I went to my first tri with two friends who whooped my butt!  I also panicked during the swim, and I was not impressed with myself at all.  I wish I could have turned my thoughts around to enjoy the finishing moment, but I couldn't.  I didn't even have BT to share the experience with at the time.

Boy did I learn from that!  Now I am happy with finishing, no matter what.  Next time will be better for you....we're all here pulling for ya!  You rock!

Jen

2005-05-24 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Renee,

ME TOO! After I got home from my first race (a week before yours...) I sortof crashed for nearly a week. Then I got frustrated because life events (wife's surgery) were getting in the way of getting back on the horse.

I even figured out how I placed in the transitions (poorly, relatively speaking)... so I have to really focus on the fact that I completely DESTROYED my two goals for the race, which was a seriously MAJOR accomplishment for me.

Now, it still takes some mental focus, but I've looked at the things I'm disappointed about in the first race and turned them into training goals for the next one. Slow swim - focusing on more technique drills to get to where I can swim the distance. Slow but smooth transitions - actually PRACTICE them before the next race, and ditch the bike jersey. Slow painful run - more bricks, and more practice using discipline to control my bike leg.

Try thinking of this race as merely a CHECKPOINT on the road to a goal on your deathbed. This race wasn't the END (in which you would find disappointment) - it was merely the BEGINNING - a pre-test of sorts for your NEXT race.

I mean, when you get right down to it, that's all a race is - a checkpoint to see how your training has been going, to see what's going well and where you need more focus in the future.

Oh, and nice bruise!
2005-05-24 6:30 PM

Elite Veteran
Well said, BGT! After my first one, I thought that it sucked, I sucked, and I was last in my AG. Demoralizing. I don't think I quite grasped how hard it is to do well. My next one I had a breakthrough run and I was hooked.

I liken the learning curve to learning to ski. For those who ski, remember the first time you skied? For me, kinda sucked and I couldn't understand why people thought that activity was fun. It was hard and I fell a lot. Eventually something clicked and I started liking to ski.

Please trust me, it will get to be more fun. Especially since you are a swimmer. You'll be leading from wire to wire one of these days.

2005-05-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: #162767

User image

Buttercup

Thanks, everyone. Accepting that I suck is tough.

It's the same reaction I had when I took a picture of myself 2 weeks into training - THAT'S WHAT I LOOK LIKE?! I was aghast. So this is like that picture, a snapshot of my level of fitness, just more ugly details. Well, that's why I'm tri'ing - to get fit and get my ass in shape while having fun.

2005-05-24 7:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Good Lord Renee! Are you sure it was an elbow and not a hammer? I have to tell you I am feeling a little low with you. I have raced for 3 weeks straight and it is getting a little embarrassing how bad my times were for the last race with a POOL swim. I am supposed to race in 3 weeks but really do not feel like it. I am trying to get a swim coach or into a Masters class as quick as I can to help with the swimming. You know what? We can do this! You will get better for your next tri through training and my rear will stop dragging through training. I think we need to get mad, get over it and go for it!

Fred
2005-05-24 8:14 PM
in reply to: #162554

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Can I join in at Flatwoods if I promise to pull every now and then? 

I'm feeling there too after seeing my times.  I'm going to see if Coach Bass is still doing track workouts at Riverview Highschool.  He has them on Thursday evenings, free.  It may be a drive for you, though.  At the time I was talking to him, life was too busy (football practice on Thursdays).  Now it's summer and he may not have them.   He's a local tri-geek, wins his AG almost every time.  He coaches cross country there.

I think I may start AM runnings now it's lighter at 6am, on my days off.  I'll also make EVERY OW swim session Matt holds.  We need to set the bar.  

On the other note, I forewent the beer and had strawberries with cool whip instead.  (this is going to make Jeff bring me down a notch).  

I agree on the pics too- I got my St A's pics in yesterday and oh my gawd!!   Nobody's seein' them. 

2005-05-25 8:35 AM
in reply to: #162801

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Renee - 2005-05-24 7:17 PM

Thanks, everyone. Accepting that I suck is tough.

It's the same reaction I had when I took a picture of myself 2 weeks into training - THAT'S WHAT I LOOK LIKE?! I was aghast. So this is like that picture, a snapshot of my level of fitness, just more ugly details. Well, that's why I'm tri'ing - to get fit and get my ass in shape while having fun.

Hey now! You don't suck. Like you, the hardest part for me is accepting that I'm never going to win a race given my genetics, level of fitness, etc. I have to compete with myself only. It sounds like you are ready to do that. You're tracking your progress and you're motivated to keep at the training.

I'm such a novice in all areas. It is so very humbling riding with the tri team and being the one that they are always waiting for. I'm so competitive (always played team sports) so it's easy to get down on myself. I figure that I have 2 options: a) quit because I'm the worst and won't ever be the best, or b) keep at it and be the best that I can be! I choose 'b'!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Conflicting emotions/post-triathlum depression Rss Feed  

of 2