Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Panic!
Event warmup:

You had to park above the lake or at the top of the canyon. So you had to walk down the GIANT first hill of the bike course. It was kind of a pain walking your bike down that hill with all the rest of your gear in tow. So I just considered that my warm up. Along with my panic.
Swim
  • 32m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was ok but I hate that first 500 yards or so. Once everything spaces out I tend to feel ok. Also had a serious wetsuit issue. I apparently had the velcro closure at the top of zipper all out of wack so it rubbed my neck the whole swim. I was bleeding by the time the swim was over. During the swim I could feel it but I did not realize it was doing the damage it did.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my wetsuit was properly zipped and velcroed. Hang back a little to start the swim. I ain't winning any gold medals any time soon so no point in getting caught up in all the chaos.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was fine. Took my time to let my HR come down a little since the bike began with a massive hill with no time to get any momentum.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 50s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty happy overall considering the wind and the hills. Didn't push too much because this is basically a prep race for BSLT Half

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went pretty smoothly. Basically just put running shoes on and switched helmet for visor then was off again.
Run
  • 57m 45s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good about the run. I took it easy and felt pretty good the whole time. My goal was simply that. I did not want to create any soreness or run the risk of pulling anything. I just wanted to have a nice easy run. I felt good through out. It appeared the hills and the heat did get to alot of people as there were alot of walking on the run course.

drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking back up that stupid hill to the car with bike and all my gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills and wind.

Event comments:

I think alot of the athletes were using thie race as a warm up for BSLT. I think Mike & Marti(race directors) were doing the same. There were not alot of frills but it was very well organized and professional and of course the hospitality was terrific. I will do it again next year and can't wait for BSLT Half.

Last updated: 2005-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:54 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Westsuit
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:50 | 25.2 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/14
This is my time. I am not sure I agreed with the time given by the race. No chip timing so who knows.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Pretty tough out and back. You barely get clipped into your pedals before the incline begins for the first big hill. Once you top that one you immediately descend only to climb another. After that you have about 10 miles of pretty flat land. Going out there seemed to be a decent tail wind turning to a cross wind at times. Just before the turn around there was another canyon. A long descent followed by a pretty steep climb. About a half mile after that you turn around. That steep descent was awesome. I hit 40mph on my bike for the first time. I was just holding on for dear life. Then a head wind most of the way back in. The bike ends with a descent, climb, descent progression.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:45 | 06.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/14
Course: Mostly flat with little shade. Temp was probably approaching 90 degrees by the time I got of the run course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-24 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Buffman & Squeaky

2005-05-24 8:01 PM
in reply to: #162671

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Buffman & Squeaky
Congrats on the race!  You had a good day it looks like!  Had you ever seen the course before?  What was your race #, maybe I saw you?  Keep us posted on your HIM training.  Several BT'ers will be out there running the half!  I think we're all going to try to get together before or after or something!
2005-05-24 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Gary,

Great race.  And you didn't let your wetsuit problems stop you! 

I was there also.  My second tri.  I agree about the first couple hundred meters of the swim.  It was pretty hairy trying to get all those people through that narrow pass and toward the first bouy.

TJ

2005-05-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #162891

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Awesome race for only your second tri. I think part of my trouble with the start of the swim is not just the mass of people but the adrenaline rush causes me to go out a little too fast and gets my breathing all out of wack. Again, very impressive for just your second try.
2005-05-25 8:03 PM
in reply to: #163034

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I took a triathlon training class once and the 'sprint and settle' was one of the things they had us practice a lot.  Might be worth throwing into your training...sprint a 100m as fast as you can then swim a steady 500 or something afterwards.  Gotta jocky for position!
2005-05-26 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Glad to read you had a good race and you managed well!  I'll be joining you for BSLHIM - wish I could have test driven the course too! 

Thanks for the info.  I am so not looking forward to running in that heat !

2005-05-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: #164097

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Being in Colorado, I think you will be ok. I imagine you have even more daunting hills(mountains) than what you will see at BSLHIM. The ones at BSLHIM are steep but the good thing is they are short in distance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffman & Squeaky Rss Feed