Ironman USA
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m 16s
Overall Rank = 994/1775
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 224/334
Pre-race routine:

Flew in to Florida on Thursday. Registered and picked bike up on Friday. Went to the practice swim on Saturday. During all these days I had a real hard time sleeping. I never have a problem with jet lag but I was having issues now.

Woke up right before 4 AM as I do every day, except this was Eastern Time Zone instead of Pacific Time, again didn't sleep well and was tired. I had my usual bowl of cereal, OJ, vitamins, and added a Clif Bar. I felt extremely full which wasn't normal. Went to the race site and got set up.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 5 minutes while other waves were starting.
Swim
  • 39m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first lake OW swim, all others have been in the Ocean. What a difference not getting pounded by the surf makes! I think that made up for it being a non-wetsuit swim. This lake is normally closed for swimming, Disney uses it for boat transportation between hotels and attractions. The swim started next to a little boat marina and the water tasted like diesel - YUCK (seriously yuck).

I felt like I was doing okay and was keeping with a big pack of my fellow red cap wave mates. Pretty soon we passed a few of the neon green caps from the previous wave. Cool! I'm not finishing dead last, at least not on the swim. I kept going in a nice easy rhythm and soon found myself on the last leg. I was really happy as I was passing lots of previous wave participants and still felt like I was taking it easy. I was also very excited that I was keeping a very direct line around the course. I usually always try to swim off to Hawaii at some point in the race. Yep, being a lake this would have been a futile attempt so I'm glad I stayed close to the buoys. About 200 yards from shore I got stuck between two people from 3 waves before me. I couldn't get through and they were flailing arms and legs everywhere. I was thinking, "damn you are at least 7 or 8 minutes behind me, why are picking now to swim hard?" Oh well.

It felt like I spent no time getting the wetsuit off - oh yeah, non wetsuit swim :)
What would you do differently?:

I do need to learn how to swim someday. During a Half Iron isn't the best time though. I was content with my performance here.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

This was one long transition! And then an even longer run to the mount line. Usually this all gets evened out as you go out one side and come in the other. This one you went out on the bike the same side as you entered with the bike. I had a real long run in my cleats with my bike both ways.

I need to at least learn how to take my feet out of the shoes while on the bike. Learning how to put my feet in the shoes while they are clipped on to bike would be nice but I see so many more people screw up doing that.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.73 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to ride so my heart rate stayed around 150 which is lower zone 2, and see what pace that brought. I was able to do that except on a couple of hills.

Apparently there were no marshalls on the road and plenty of flippin cheaters took advantage of that. I don't know if I should be proud of myself for riding legally, or kick myself for not joinging the peloton. Drafting would have been a huge benefit with the headwinds. I'd get real freaked out when a group of drafters would pass me and then slow down so it looked like I was part of their group. I'd drop back immediately figuring that is when a marshall would show and I would be the one penalized. Cheaters suck!

My rear mount cage get broken by someone in transition. The top screw hole get ripped off so the bottle was almost hanging upside down. About 20 miles into the race it went flying. 500 calories and 68g of carbs - adios!

I would get a tri bike with killer wheels and tree trunks for legs.
Transition 2
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

I sat down to put my socks on and just started peeing. So, I sat there pee'd, put my socks and shoes on, kept peeing, cleaned my sunglasses, kept peeing (errr?). Ok, off to the run, phew.

Ride with feet on shoes. Pee before entering transition area?
Run
  • 2h 39m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

WAH! HOLY CRAP! I was feeling so good starting out on the run. I'm not fast but I knew if I could just do a 10 min/mile pace I'd be home in about 5:45. At about mile two I melted - literally and figuratively. I swore to myself I wouldn't walk, but I just couldn't run another step. HR was at 180 even after slowing ot an 11 min/mile. I started to do the "I'll walk to that tree and then run to the next mile marker. Wait I can just stop running here." All sorts of thoughts were going through my head, the worst was - "Why did you come all the way to Florida to walk!" Grrrrrr.

Try not to die.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down in the area where they were serving pizza and tried to shake off the major case of dizziness I had.

Event comments:

Ironman North America definitely throws a good race. The volunteers were awesome and everywhere. The crowd support was incredible. It was so exciting to be at such an international event.

Unfortunately I feel terrible for my run/walk thing. Hopefully I'll get over that soon. I don't mind my overall time as it was my first Half IM and the competition was top notch. I do mind that I was basically out of the race by mile 3. I thought I was racing well within myself. It could have been the heat (who knew Florida gets hot?) or my lost bottle of calories, or the time zones (at one point ont he bike I was flipping through my computer screens and saw the time at home - not even 6 am yet!), or the fact I pretend to be an athlete.

I don't know what truly happened but I know I learned a lot. I have two months to get ready for my next Half and I will beat that one down.

Last updated: 2004-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 175/334
Overall: 784/1775
Performance: Average
Suit: Non Wetsuit Swim!
Course: Typical get wet and swim around the buoys. One lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:42:05 | 56 miles | 20.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 149/334
Overall: 592/1775
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Up the road, take a right at the big tree..... Heck it was Florida, fairly flat, but there was a 15 mile section with bigger rollers than expected. 15 mph headwinds most of the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:39:50 | 13.1 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 271/334
Overall: 1340/1775
Performance: Bad
Course: Any place there was no shade and scorching asphalt, we were there!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-24 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Florida Half Ironman

2005-05-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: #162733

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Florida Half Ironman

Congratulations! You sound so nonchalant about such a big race! Very nice pace on the swim (tho' the water sounds disgusting) and biking. Did you enjoy our humidity?

I bet you would have been happier with your run if you had had good body marking.

2005-05-24 5:11 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I don't mean to sound nonchalant.  This was a very big deal for me.  I probably thought about it every day since signing up for it in November.  It took a lot of time away from family and cost a lot of money for me.  I think that is why I feel bad I didn't compete to how I think I should have.  Kind of like looking forward to a movie, and building it up way too much.  Inevitably there is some let down.

I don't think the humidity was too bad.  Just full on blazing UV rays cooking your noggin. 

2005-05-24 6:05 PM

Elite Veteran
Congrats! Your swim and bike times are awesome. I'm sorry your run fell apart for you; I'm sure that was a big disappointment. I think that sometimes we forget just how hard a triathlon is to actually race and you had two great legs. That much heat and sun early in the season would have been really tough to take on the run. I don't know anything about nutrition, but I'm sure your next HIM will be better because you will have learned from this one. As someone who has only done sprint distance tris, I am very, very impressed with your day. Even walking at 12+ MPH is moving it. You did good and thanks for sharing your race report with us.
2005-05-24 8:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-24 9:09 PM

Kalamazoo
Wasn't the heat on the run fun!!!! I may have been one of the swimmers going towards the end. I had a 28 min first 1000 and a 20 min second 1000. Your swim and bike times were great from my perspective. I agree that there were quite a few people out there drafting. This was my first IMNA race so I wasn't sure about the marshalls on the bike course. You did the right thing (me too) by not cheating. I wasn't racing anyone but myself.

2005-05-24 9:30 PM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Awesome race and a fine race report as well. I did Gulf Coast for the last 2 years and the run melt down has happened both times. This year it wasn't until mile 10 so keep pushing. Great times on the swim and bike and actually I would take your run .

Ken
2005-05-25 12:16 AM

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Great race! Killer bike times for a 15mph headwind.
"I would get a tri bike with killer wheels and tree trunks for legs." that's what I want as well.
2005-05-25 8:16 AM

Veteran
Alabama
Paul~ What an AWESOME RACE!! You did beautifully!!

Loved your comment that you need to learn how to swim...I think you did a pretty good job myself!!

AND kudos to you for NOT cheating!!

Again, great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Half Ironman Rss Feed