General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training vs Yoga/Pilates Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-07 12:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Strength Training vs Yoga/Pilates

I'm unsure whether I should add weight sessions or yoga/pilates sessions into my weekly schedule?

I've done lots of yoga in the past but not lately. I've never really got into the weight room before. I have 2 sessions per week so choose between the two.  

Also, can you combine them at the gym... say you do 30min-1hr of weights then a yoga class before or afterwards?

Edited by ENP 2009-10-07 12:59 AM

2009-10-07 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2446793

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Strength Training vs Yoga/Pilates
Can't say much about Pilates since I haven't done it much and I think because of the nature of Pilates, one should probably learn from a good instructor first.

You can and should add weight(strength) training into your schedule, especially as you go into the "off" season.  Strength training will build the muscles and supporting structures that will help you swim, bike and run faster and/or longer with less chance of injury.  If you are aiming to do triathlon, you don't necessarily want to "bulk up", but gain endurance strength.

And keep in mind that there are other types of strength training other than lifting weights. 

I usually do yoga in the evening, but I suppose you could take a class right after your strength session.  Some of that depends on the kind of yoga class it is. 

Edited by Gregkl 2009-10-07 7:17 AM
2009-10-07 7:43 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Pilates focuses on core strengthening and includes not just ab work but also back, glutes and some shoulder work.  Rather than holding poses as in Yoga there are a series of exercises for which you do a number of reps.  It is a great complement to other forms of strength training.  I try and do both at least a couple times a week.  It would be worthwhile to attend a class until you are comfortable with the moves.  The smallerthe class the better, you want someone who can correct your form and make sure you are doing things corectly.  Once you know the exercises it is easy to do 20 minutes at home along with some free weights.  Good luck!
2009-10-08 2:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Do you do weights all year round or just do them in the winter time/off season and then cut back on the weights in summer time and bump up the s/b/r?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training vs Yoga/Pilates Rss Feed