General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training - substitutions w/ other activities? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-29 9:43 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: training - substitutions w/ other activities?
today i officially starting trainig for my first tri. i am doing the 18 week intermediate sprint training program. we do a lot of hiking and camping in the summer. i'm wondering how you balance other physical activities with tri training. if i do a 15 mile hike on the weekend, should i still get in your 5 mile run? i'm seriously considering bringing my trail runners when we go backpacking so i can get at least a short run in. so, do you count your recreational activities as part of your training? or keep the two separate?

Edited by autumn 2004-03-29 10:03 AM

2004-03-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: #15124

New user
Boston area
Subject: RE: training - substitutions w/ other activities?

I was wondering this same thing!!!  I hope some of the experienced folks on here will help answer this question.

I do Pilates and I also like kickboxing and hiking - do these count towards training?  and is it ok to do these on the same days as biking, running, and/or swimming?  On Saturday, I did my Pilates class then biked for 20 minutes at the gym.   I was much sorer than usual but it's been a long time since I rode a bike so no suprise there!  

2004-03-29 10:25 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
do you do a lot of stretching in pilates? or is it mostly strength work? i do a yoga class once a week and i consider it my slacker stretching time. i'm awful about stretching after a workout (i'm getting better), so yoga really helps.

any veterans have advice on this one?
2004-03-29 12:14 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
I raked leaves in my back and front yards for a hour and a half yesterday afternoon. I think I should be able to count that somehow. ;-) Perhaps if I had strapped on my heart rate monitor and kept myself at my maximum aerobic HR...

Ian
2004-03-29 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Cross training is always excellent. It keeps you fresh and your enthusiasm up. It can't (ultimately) be a substitute for the distance and endurance training you need in your specific legs--but it has always improved my overall fitness and aerobic level and enjoyment--so keep it up.

It is absolutely not a problem to do two trainings on the same day. On some other post that asked how many workouts are you doing a week, some folks do 17+

You just need to know how to pace yourself, how to break up your workouts. I usually do two a day. But I don't often combine biking and running on the same day, so I can get a little leg rest. Unless I'm doing a brick or have a long weekend workout planned.

Typical week is like this.

Monday: run in am, bike in pm
Tuesday: long run, weights
Wednesday: swim, pilates
Thursday: short run in am, swim right after work, long bike train in pm
Friday: rest, or short bike train in pm
Saturday: long workouts, bricks, hikes, etc.
Sunday: long run, weights

Go with what is comfortable, and be careful to listen to your body!! Be sure to have fun!!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training - substitutions w/ other activities? Rss Feed