Pacific Sports, LLC
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 5s
Overall Rank = 138/662
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/75
Pre-race routine:

Drive for an hour, eating breakfast of a banana & milk, try to find parking lot, drive around Newport Beach for 15 minutes, trying to keep panic attack at bay
Event warmup:

None, really. Jump in water and get wet, bend over once to stretch hamstrings
Swim
  • 14m 6s
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

For some reason, everyone was hunched to the outside, near the pier. I was inside with a straight sight at the bouy. Only was hit once in the first bit, and was able to settle into a nice routine. Turns were not very crowded and started to catch previous wave at the 3:00 mark. I stayed inside while most people kept wide for some reason. Stayed relaxed in the water and got a good rhythm. Caught many people from the previous wave and only was passed by one person from the wave behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Take in less water. I got several large mouthfuls of water, and didn't breathe out of my nose enough. Later in the race, my nostrils kept draining water from my sinuses. Yelch!
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Crowd was dead silent leaving the water and heading to the transition area. Boo! Got to my stuff pretty quickly and got into the shoes nicely. Didn't put shoes on bike because there was an immediate turn and uphill after the start. On the way to the transition, volunteers with hoses sprayed water to clean feet (Nice!). Transition area was VERY long and my rack was at the complete opposite end (probably a 80 meter run from the entrance to my rack)

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 47s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

With all the hard cornering and grade transitions, it was impossible to get into a rhythm. Was pushing very hard when I had the chance. Got better at cornering as the course went on (I realized that I was looking where I DIDN'T want to go and instead began looking at where I wanted to go). This race had the best collection of bikers I've seen. I rode better than I ever had and was getting passed regularly, which doesn't usually happen to me (on the bike).

Corner better. Train for short hill climbs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Got shoes off at exactly the right time and jumped from bike nicely. Had some trouble getting socks on, but everything else was fast.

Could have run faster in transition area.
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

HR was low, but my spirit was broken. I had planned on pushing much harder in the run with each mile. Nose/throat were feeling gross from draining sinuses. Instead, I kept a decent pace but never went all out (from an HR standpoint). I think I was spent from working so hard on the bike. I lost probably 10-15 age group places during the run.

Train better so I had more left for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, sitting in car for 1 hour on ride home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training. Lack of speed work in training.

Event comments:

Pacific Sports is a great company. They keep you informed with reminder emails and the entire situation is perfectly planned and organized.

My only complaint is that they didn't coordinate the closure of the streets well. All race info said to take Jamboree to the parking lot. Jamboree was closed, so you had to follow detour signs all around the Fashion Island, which was a bit tricky. Then, when you found the parking lot, they said it was full and you had to go to another lot, which was a good 1/4 mile across the water from the transition area. Many of us were running from our cars to the transition areas to get thing ready at the last second. All could have been avoided if they'd just told us to take MacArthur to PCH instead of Jamboree.

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:06 | 804 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/75
Overall: 167/662
Performance: Good
Second wave of start
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Long John
Course: In backbay of Newport Beach. Water was very still. Start at water's edge, make three left turns and a right, keeping bouy on your left. Exit water and go on a hard uphill in the sand for 10 meters. Run 100 meters across a parking lot to the transition area. Note: there were comments in the past about the water in the bay being low and dirty. While it was muddy where we were all standing for the start, the rest of the swim course was fine. The water level was high enough to swim the entire course. In fact, I'm 6'5" and only took one step before swimming because it was deep enough to. At the end, I took maybe 4 steps at waist high before hitting the beach. I'd definitely swim here again.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:47 | 12.4 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/75
Overall: 78/662
Wind: None
Course: Out to Fashion Island, three times around Fashion Island and back to transition area. Course started with a 1/4 mile climb (not too hard). Fashion Island portion was very turny and had several short climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:43 | 03.1 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/75
Overall: 282/662
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out/back run on back bay. Very lonely run on paved road in swamp land (OK, "tidal wetlands").
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-26 8:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-05-26 10:26 PM
in reply to: #164174

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Krung & Ching Sprint Tri
Thanks for posting your race report.  It sounds like you did great, barring sinus problems. 

-- Gwendal
2005-05-26 11:41 PM
in reply to: #164174

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Krung & Ching Sprint Tri
Great stuff Dom. You already know how my race went. We were told that Jamboree would be closed at 6:30am, so I got there WAY early...around 5:15am and it was still open, but looked like they were getting ready to close it.
Along those lines, my friend works at the fire station that was along the bike route (on Santa Barbara, right after you turned off Jamboree on the bike) and she says they didn't even tell them about the street closure, so they had to go on a rescue call that morning and got detoured...and that's an ambulance!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Krung & Ching Sprint Tri Rss Feed