General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PRP Injections & Hamstring Tendon tears Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-13 11:07 AM

DC
Subject: PRP Injections & Hamstring Tendon tears
I recently had MRIs of my hips/lower back and have multiple tears in my hamstring tendons on both sides. I also have substantial tears in each hip labrum; however, these tears are apparently not bothering me, only the hamstring tendon tears.

My Orthopedic surgeon has referred me to a Sports Medicine physician to undergo PRP Injections (Platelet Rich Plasma) which encourages healing in the area.

Has anyone had any success or aware of this treatment? I would love to receive some feedback!

Michelle

2009-10-28 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2457036

Veteran
Subject: RE: PRP Injections & Hamstring Tendon tears
I just scheduled PRP for my achilles tendonitis.  I'll let everyone know how it is going in a few weeks.

Edited by Zupe 2009-10-28 8:15 PM
2009-10-29 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2457036

User image

New user

Southern California
Subject: RE: PRP Injections & Hamstring Tendon tears
I like the concept of PRP because it is an attempt to stimulate regeneration of injured tissue, rather than treating via the outdated model of decreasing inflammation. PRP's purported mechanism is twofold. We know that getting blood products into degenerative tendons stimulates a healing response. Even the needle itself can provide a healing stimulus, as it can cause a small bleed, which helps the process as well. Anyone considering PRP should know that the best results obtained are when the physician uses ultrasound imaging to guide the injection placement, thus ensuring that it occurs over the area of maximal tissue problems. Right now, there are no published studies on PRP and the results are anecdotal.  In addition, repeat injections may be required and the technique is often not covered by insurance.

There is a technique performed by specially certified Physical Therapists called ASTYM that has a documented success rate of 90% and is covered by insurance.  Like PRP, the treatment seems to result in capillary leakage, which releases platelet derived growth factors into the area, and a low-level, localized inflammatory response is induced which causes microdebridement of abdnormal tissue. In addition, direct stimulation of the fibroblast leads to increased tissue turnover and healing in structures up to one inch deep.  With ASTYM, a larger area can be efficiently treated. For example, with Achilles tendinosis, therapists have found fibrotic tissue in places outside the area of pain (for example, the lower posterior heel, the antero/lateral surface of the tendon and the borders of the soleus), which might contribute to the problem as well.  Finally, a therapist will address the whole kinetic chain, which will not only guide healing but also address the possible biomechanical and muscle imbalance issues that might contribute to poor healing.

Regarding your hamstring.  Tendons are often more difficult to treat because they don't have a very good blood supply, which makes healing slower.  Muscles, however, are highly vascular and respond very well to the proper stimulus.  As a therapist, I have treated alot of muscle problems with ASTYM and they respond beatifully and quickly.  I recently treated a triathlete who had a calf tear that was 20 years old, and even he did great.  Check the internet and see if there is a provider near you.  If you decide to get the PRP injection, please post your results (or send me a private message). I would like to hear how you responded.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PRP Injections & Hamstring Tendon tears Rss Feed