General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on choosing between these two marathon plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-26 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Subject: Advice on choosing between these two marathon plan

I know that both these plans are basically beginner marathon plans designed to help you finish a marathon. I just finished my first HIM yesterday and am taking this week off to do light recovery training. I'm registered to run the PF Changs full marathon in Phoenix on January 17, 2010. If I start either plan next Monday that gives me 11 weeks to train for the full marathon (I would start either plan on week 8). I know that's not a lot of time but like I said, I am coming off a 20 week HIM plan and set a PR in the half marathon of the HIM yesterday.

So, I'm trying to decide between the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan or the intermediate 1 plan. Here are the links for the respective plans:

Novice 2: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices2.htm

Intermediat 1: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/inter1.html

If you count the race yesterday, I'm most recently up to 27 miles a week. The novice plan starts out with 30 miles the first week and the intermediate plan starts with 37 miles. Both fluctuate with the max volume in the novice plan of 35 miles and 45 in the intermediate plan. My utimate goal is to finish under 4 but I'd like to go as fast as 3:49:99.

I guess I'm asking for general advice as I've never trainded for a full marathon and I'm a little intimidated about running the 5x a week that the intermediate plan calls for. I know that I'd have to pay close attention to running pace and keep it much slower on longer runs then what I usually run at so that I can absorb the training and avoid injury. I'd like to keep my cycling fitness up but as an accountant I'm facing 60-70 hour work weeks starting in January and continuing through April. I'm going to lose my bike fitness no matter what so I kind of want to focus on the marathon and then start training for triathlons again after tax season. 

So, any advice on which plan would be better? I hope I've provided enough information here. My logs are also up to date if my annual information would be beneficial.

2009-10-26 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2480540

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Advice on choosing between these two marathon plan
I would go with the intermediate program. If you can do one ride a week you should be able to maintain some bike fitness, otherwise forget about the bike until after the marathon.

You ran 1:50 in your HIM. More than likely you can go much faster in a standalone HM, making the possibility of going sub 4 pretty good. Get in the higher mileage of the intermediate program and you should have no problem.
2009-10-26 8:34 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do think that a 1:50 on the run in a HIM plus decent marathon training pretty much guarantees sub 4hr in an open marathon.
2009-10-27 9:59 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I'd use the Intermediate as a guide.  Definitely run 5x/wk.  It's OK to cut short the distances a bit, especially as you start out and get used to the higher run volume.  Don't worry too much about the "pace" runs either.  As you get closer to your race, just try to do a couple runs at your goal pace and see how it feels (should feel pretty comfortable).  Adjust your goal appropriately, if necessary.  But I don't think you will have much problem breaking 4:00.
2009-10-27 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

Thanks for the advice/tip guys! I'm looking forward to this.

2009-10-27 11:08 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm going to go counter to the above advice and say go with the novice plan based on mileage alone. If you are doing 27 miles per week and the novice plan will start you at 30 mpw, that's a perfect progression.

Training for triathlon & marathon is a lifestyle and a way of life and the biggest component of success is consistency (not total training volume or miles).

By using the novice plan, you'll easily be able to maintain regular, consistent runs without worry of overtraining or pushing your volume too fast. There is no hurry in ramping up mileage, rather you want to build yoru mileage very gradually especially with running.

You may be feeling great and fit, but it's better to be 15% undertrained for your goal event than to be 101% overtrained (and thus inujured) for your event.

While you may think that runnign more miles will prepare you better for a marathon, it will not if those miles are too big of a jump compared to where your current fitness is.

My 2 cents.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on choosing between these two marathon plan Rss Feed