General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim stroke rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-30 8:24 PM

Master
Subject: Swim stroke rate
I'm a "slow" stroke rate person, and I definitely need to speed up my stroke substantially. I came across this seemingly useful article regarding swim stroke rate - some of you may have already seen it.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/slowsr.html

On the  bottom of the web page is a 14min video about a student "Simon" who uses a "wetronome" to increase him stroke rate. He does great - going from 1:41/100m to 1:20, and then does a sprint at 1:16.

The coach says that Simon's effort is pretty similar for all speeds, and that the increased stroke rate is making him work more efficiently. Gives the impression of "free speed." However, I know for a fact that for me, every second I take off my interval 100m pace correlates with increased effort. So for me, faster stroke definitely equals harder effort.

What do you more experienced folks think of this video? Is this just an extra-fancy way of the "duh-stupid" phenomena of increased arm turnover = swimming harder = go faster? Or is the coach onto something when he keeps asserting that Simon's effort isn't appreciably greater despite the greater arm turnover?

2009-10-30 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2490265

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: Swim stroke rate
Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were supposed to DECREASE our stroke rate...
2009-10-30 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2490272

Master
swishyskirt - 2009-10-30 8:28 PM Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were supposed to DECREASE our stroke rate...

For sure, for most real NEW swimmers, decreasing stroke rate is important (since most new swimmers have very short, inefficient strokes), but I think this video is referring to someone that has decently good form but has "dead spots."

I actually look just like that "Simon" guy in the video when he's swimming at his initial "easy" pace - just he's going 1:40, whereas I'm going 2:10. But our stroke rate is the same, and that's supposed to be slow (it does look slow!

Edited by agarose2000 2009-10-30 8:36 PM
2009-10-30 10:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
swishyskirt - 2009-10-30 7:28 PM

Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were supposed to DECREASE our stroke rate...

I thnk you're confusing that with increased stroke LENGTH which results in a decrease in the number of strokes.

Distance per stroke times stroke rate = speed. Longer stroke * faster rate = Faster swimmer.

So if you can make your stroke longer but keep the same rate, OR if you keep the same stroke length but increase yoru rate, you'll go faster. Those are the only ways you CAN get faster. Increase both and you'll be really fast.
2009-10-31 12:32 AM

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada
Wow thanks for that link, it answers a few questions for me. I'm a beginner and can only do 100 metres before taking a short break. I'm trying to swim very smoothly with a slow stroke rate to conserve energy. As my swim has improved since I started (about 8 weeks ago) I am noticing that my body sinks a bit somwhere in my stroke and I need to pull to get myself back up in the water. I can feel the subtle up and down motion of my body. I've been wondering if I'm trying to glide to much and simply stroking too slowly.

I can see from the video and the web page that if I increase my stroke rate I can prevent this loss of momentum somewhat AND get to breathe more often! This is something I hadn't thought of. I breathe every 3rd stroke and with a verrrrry slow stroke it takes a while to get a breath. This could help my endurance also as I will be able to get more oxygen.

I'm going to try this Monday on my swim, sound promissing

agarose2000 - 2009-10-30 6:24 PM I'm a "slow" stroke rate person, and I definitely need to speed up my stroke substantially. I came across this seemingly useful article regarding swim stroke rate - some of you may have already seen it.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/slowsr.html

On the  bottom of the web page is a 14min video about a student "Simon" who uses a "wetronome" to increase him stroke rate. He does great - going from 1:41/100m to 1:20, and then does a sprint at 1:16.

The coach says that Simon's effort is pretty similar for all speeds, and that the increased stroke rate is making him work more efficiently. Gives the impression of "free speed." However, I know for a fact that for me, every second I take off my interval 100m pace correlates with increased effort. So for me, faster stroke definitely equals harder effort.

What do you more experienced folks think of this video? Is this just an extra-fancy way of the "duh-stupid" phenomena of increased arm turnover = swimming harder = go faster? Or is the coach onto something when he keeps asserting that Simon's effort isn't appreciably greater despite the greater arm turnover?
2009-10-31 10:07 AM

User image

Modesto, California
swishyskirt - 2009-10-30 6:28 PM Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were supposed to DECREASE our stroke rate...

You want to decrease your stroke count, stroke rate is your speed.

2009-10-31 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Thanks for the resource.  I found it interesting watching Simon in the beginning.  He has the same scissor kick as I do and the same pause or gap in his swim stroke as I do.  I too have found it hard to breath to both sides every third stroke with the stoke I have and would like to see if the wetronome would assist with all these pieces.  I am currently satisfied with my swim if I had to leave it as is, but long term I know it needs to improve to get faster and efficient.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim stroke rate Rss Feed