General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Domestic vacation spot for a December OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-04 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Domestic vacation spot for a December OWS
I'm in week 2 of a 20 week Oly plan for Tri out in the Southwest in March. My background is 100% running (did a few 1/2s this year). I feel OK on the bike so far, but the swim is going to be a challenge (just worked up from 16X25 three weeks ago to 10X75 yesterday). So, I think I'll be able to get there in 4 months based on my 3X plan. However, this is obviously all going to be in a Chicago area pool for swim training.

Anyway, I have a week of vacation during the holidays with no plans booked. I figured it would probably be a good idea to experience an open water swim (or 3) before I show up on race day. That being said, I'm trying to figure out where to go. I'd love to do a Sprint, in fact (should be ready for that by end of December), but can't find any outdoors (I checked both AZ & CA figuring those would be my best bets).

Where is a good location that I can either do an outdoor Sprint that week or at least get some open water experience? I'd think all the water in Florida would have gators and sharks. CA may be too cold, and I don't think I've ever seen someone just go for a swim in Tempe Town Lake. Unfortunately, I don't have a passport. So, south america/australia are out.

Any help or suggestions would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks.

2009-11-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2497527

Veteran
Subject: RE: Domestic vacation spot for a December OWS
Florida has a lot of ocean water without gators.

My family and I go to Naples a few times every year.  Gulf coast of Southwest Florida.  Can swim in the ocean where you like.

Works well as you can swim along the shore, and therefore never be too far from being able to stand.  I recommend going against the current on the way out.

Gordon
2009-11-04 1:41 PM

User image

Very few but the hardy will be swimming in teh ocean in Cal. in December.

Tempe Town Lake is closed to swimming except for events

Fla is your best bet
2009-11-04 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Shark attacks on the Gulf coast of Fla are pretty rare. Avoid the morning and evening feeding times. Gator attack in the ocean would be extremely rare. Usually happens to golfers
2009-11-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2497602

Veteran
Also, if you swim in the ocean along the beach during any time when people are sitting on the beach or wading into the water, they will look at you as if you are crazy.  If they ask and you tell them that you went for a 45 minute or an hour swim, they will really think you are nuts.  Vacation is supposed to be for sitting on the beach and drinking beer.

Of course, they would be correct, but let's not go there.

A word of caution.  While there are not really "waves" in the gulf, in April, I had waves of a number of feet in the AM when the tide was coming in.  As I did not want to swim too far from the beach, and swimming along through the breakers was not really any fun, I used the hour to dive into the waves and get comfortable in the water, like I used to do as a kid.  While it did not help my swim endurance, my becoming more (or once again very) comfortable in the water helped me immensely.  The open water should not be feared.  It ts the same water you played in as a kid (or at least I did).  Just make it fun and all will go well.

Gordon

Edited by kesslergk 2009-11-04 2:00 PM
2009-11-04 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2497611

User image

Hawai'i
I don't know of a tri that week but you can head to Kona, there may be a duathlon in December but I don't know the schedule. You can swim at the Kona pier that has a 1/4 mile out and back set of buoys that is open water yet protected and there are often plenty of people there. There are also the 1.2 and 2.4 mile Ironman buoys but those involve a stronger commitment than I think you should try.

You can hit the ocean at Hapuna which gives you a half mile loop close to the shore with moving water. If you get brave you can swim across Kealakekua Bay at captain Cook which is a mile each way.

If you don't have plans; a week in Kona would be plenty of fun. I am pretty sure there are direct flights from Chicago to Kona. One thing for sure is that the water is a great place to work on your OWS skills.

2009-11-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2497575

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
kesslergk - 2009-11-04 2:37 PMFlorida has a lot of ocean water without gators.

My family and I go to Naples a few times every year.  Gulf coast of Southwest Florida.  Can swim in the ocean where you like.

Works well as you can swim along the shore, and therefore never be too far from being able to stand.  I recommend going against the current on the way out.

Gordon
x2
2009-11-04 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Thanks. I'll check out the Naples/Gulf coast option.  Next stop, VBRO.com.

I'm saving Hawai'i for one of those drinking and sitting on beach style vacations, as its the last state I haven't been to. Plus, I think I considered going there last year for a vacation, but hotel prices were nuts for the holiday week. Florida, I could get away with a three or four day trip and fitting two swim days in (plus a play day after my run) to keep it cheap even if prices were high.
2009-11-05 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
FL and gators, hmmm, I best stop swimming in OW in FL!  The most dangerous gators in FL right now are the UF football team!!!

FL either coast would be fine (Gulf better unless you go to the intra-coastal waters on either side).  Also if you do come out this way, try and make it to Lucky's in the Orlando area. 

2009-11-05 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
There is the Anthem holiday classic sprint during the first week of December here in AZ. You can always swim in our local lakes, TTL excluded.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Domestic vacation spot for a December OWS Rss Feed