General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running volume build Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-14 9:28 AM

User image

NH
Subject: Running volume build
I am a new runner, just started running a few months ago.  I completed a sprint tri in Sept.  My goal this winter is to build up my running.  My main race next year is a 70.3 in Sept. so I have plenty of time.

I am running three times a week right now, increasing a little each week.  My plan is 2 mid-week runs and a longer weekend run.  I also plan to add a fourth run in a few weeks, just a recovery run the day after the longer run.  My question is this - should I cap the mid-week runs at about 40-45 minutes (which fits my schedule perfectly) and keep adding 5-10 minutes per week to the longer run, or should I increase each run including the shorter runs?

2009-11-14 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2513722

User image

Regular
State College, PA
Subject: RE: Running volume build
Hey,
congrats on the first tri!

I would say that 40-45 minutes is a good length run to do 2 times a week.  After a few weeks maybe try to increase on of those runs by 15 minutes or so and see how it feels.  I've never used any set plan to increase my run volumes, i just go by what feels right.  The recovery run is a great idea after the long run, I just started doing this lately,( im training for a marathon, actually its next weekend) and i've found that i feel so much better and recover alot faster after an easy recovery run.. so definetly keep doing that.  

I think that it would probably be best for you though, IMO, to keep with the 40-45 minutes, for a little while then build up from there.

Good luck!!
and theres tons of great info on here.

2009-11-14 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
To a point I think this is fine.  It looks from your logs that right now your weekend run is only just slightly more than a third of your total run volume.  I think you can increase that a bit if you want to, but I wouldn't increase it (i.e., the ratio of long run to total volume) by a lot.  Better to add that extra run day in, IMO.
2009-11-14 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2513739

User image

NH
Experior - 2009-11-14 10:50 AM To a point I think this is fine.  It looks from your logs that right now your weekend run is only just slightly more than a third of your total run volume.  I think you can increase that a bit if you want to, but I wouldn't increase it (i.e., the ratio of long run to total volume) by a lot.  Better to add that extra run day in, IMO.

Yeah, my longer run really isn't much longer right now and that's kind of what I'm wondering.  Should I just keep three or four similar runs, or work towards having one much longer run.  Thanks.
2009-11-14 10:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-14 11:29 AM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Increase frequency, then increase the daily volume. If you're essentially doing 3 runs of 45 minutes, change it to 6 runs of 25 minutes, then gradually add to each run. In a few months you'll be up to about 45 minutes for each run. By that point you'll have a better base on which to start a more formal training plan geared toward your HIM.

I started out that way several years ago with about 2-4 miles daily. Now I'm doing considerably more and my body has adapted without lots of injury problems.

The key is to not build too quickly and not run too fast in the build phase. Save the fast running for a formal plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running volume build Rss Feed