General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross training & half marathon training benefits? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-17 4:02 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Cross training & half marathon training benefits?
I just signed up for a HM in March. I haven't ever run that far before and am up to a longest distance recently of about 5 miles easy pace, and feeling fresh at the end. I am following Galloway's plan with a weekly long run gradually increasing distance about 1 mile per week, and should have sufficient time to easily reach the required distance for the HM. He also suggests 2 maintenance runs of 30-45 mins during the week to maintain the endurance.

My question is about the benefits of bike sessions in the process? I have a history of some knee problems which havent resurfaced since I picked up training again about 3 months ago, but my big fear is 3 run sessions will risk more problems, especially as I increase the long run distance. I also really want to develop my cycling fitness this winter and wondered if the 2 goals might be synergistic? Can I use the benefits of increasing my riding to offset some of the running? I know I need to keep the long runs going each week, and there's no substitute for specific muscle training, but can I perhaps replace the 3rd run some weeks with an additional ride and maintain my running fitness?

Appreciate any advice here...I really want to train properly for the HM but am slightly paranoid about injury, especially as I'm 39 now and not recovering quite as fast I used to...

2009-11-17 5:03 AM
in reply to: #2517093

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Cross training & half marathon training benefits?
That's a tough one.Cycling does improve running fitness, but as you have mentioned, not as good as running itself.I have various running issues as well. During summer, I try & run 3/per week, every 2nd day. This seems to allow recovery. I cross train the other days. I seems to work well.I don't think you need to run >3 per week, if you are cross training. I do think you need to run though. There is no substitute for miles.I am no expert, but there is an opinion.
2009-11-17 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay... this may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but I have actually had FEWER issues with running injury since I (slowly and gradually) increased my total running volume and frequency over the past year or so. I think it's all about my body being better adapted to run because I am running more! The key to running more safely is to do most of the miles at a nice, easy pace, and build the distance and volume conservatively. I have religiously followed the 10% rule (not adding any more than 10% to either total weekly mileage or long run distance per week) and it's worked wonderfully for me. I have done almost no speedwork, with the exception of some tempo runs. I do a bit more structured speedwork in the 4 - 6 weeks leading up to a target race, but other than that, it's pretty much all easy effort. For me, it's doing higher intensity running that leads to injury more than volume.....
2009-11-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2517103

User image

Expert
England
jsnowash - 2009-11-17 10:27 AM Okay... this may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but I have actually had FEWER issues with running injury since I (slowly and gradually) increased my total running volume and frequency over the past year or so. I think it's all about my body being better adapted to run because I am running more! The key to running more safely is to do most of the miles at a nice, easy pace, and build the distance and volume conservatively. I have religiously followed the 10% rule (not adding any more than 10% to either total weekly mileage or long run distance per week) and it's worked wonderfully for me. I have done almost no speedwork, with the exception of some tempo runs. I do a bit more structured speedwork in the 4 - 6 weeks leading up to a target race, but other than that, it's pretty much all easy effort. For me, it's doing higher intensity running that leads to injury more than volume.....

not as counter-intuitive as you might think...

In the 3 months I've been back training properly I have been uber careful like you describe. I spent a month just doing easy short runs and have kept meticulously to the 10% max rule ever since. All my runs have been easy and as much as possible off-road. I read the other day that running off-road gives much more strength development in the legs muscles and tissues so can also prevent injury. I suspect I have been benefiting from exactly what you describe.

I did another easy 30 min 'recovery' run today and it felt good with no issues. Maybe this programme might actually benefit me in injury prevention as you suggest? Interesting thought...
2009-11-17 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
England
any more thoughts?
2009-11-17 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA

I just completed my first half mary this past Sunday following the same plan as you.  I stuck to Galloways plan and pretty much nailed each session except for one week a month out.  I suplemented the off days with biking only.  A few weeks ago, I started back swimming and my HIM training officially started last week.  It worked out perfect.  The race went very well despite the fact that I can't walk right now (just a little sore). 

I'm 37 and have bad knees as well.   I fought IT band issues through the last month after my long runs passed 10 miles but the bike sessions helped keep me loose and the ice baths helped with the recovery.  Stick with the plan and don't substitute a run day with anything else.  Its more important to get your runs in.  I took this advice from fellow BTer's.  Use the bike as a way to recover and keep the efforts low.  Thats my non-expert opinion. 

I think I will come to really like the half mary distance.  It was a lot of fun.  Good luck.

2009-11-17 11:56 PM

User image

Expert
England
thanks - thats very reassuring to know.

I'll just try and do easy bike sessions then. My challenge is living in a hilly area its really hard to do an 'easy' bike session but maybe that just means keep them short, keep in the easier gears and spin.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cross training & half marathon training benefits? Rss Feed