General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation training on Maui? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-03 3:01 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Vacation training on Maui?
My wife had this stash of air miles burning a hole in her pocket and she wanted a vacation so we're going to be on Maui over the holidays. It kind of disrupts my regular training rut routine but I've resolved to make the best of it.

Does anyone have suggestions for good running trails on the island or should I stick to the main roads? I've found websites for bike rentals already. I'm not sure if there are decent road routes available though, besides the guided tours down the mountain, or if I should try to find out about mountain biking trails. We'll be close to some beaches where I'm sure the lifeguards can help with swimming tips, but I've also been reading up on rip tides, jellyfish, sharks, etc. One page on shark tips had this little gem: "Try not to look like food."

Any suggestions or tips would be welcome.

2009-12-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2541836

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Vacation training on Maui?

I'm pretty sure Maui will be a training playground - have fun!  I'd say you suck, but I am heading to the Big Island in January.

I've not been to Maui, but I've been to Oahu and know that riding a bike on the main roads is very dangerous.   I hope Maui isn't the same, but generally speaking island roads are narrow and often curvy.  I would recommending making sure you get advice from the bike rental place on where to ride.  Don't assume you can be safe on the nice little roads that go by the ocean    

If it were me, I'd do my run away from the main roads.  I would ask about a nice neighborhood that I could run around and look at fancy houses.

2009-12-03 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Where will you be on Maui?   When I have been there (3 times) I have always just used the fitness center bikes, swam in the quieter bays and ran on streets, paths near the beach or the beach itself.  Lots of great mountains with trails for biking/running I am sure.  Golf courses sometimes let you run on the cart paths if you can be done b4 the first tee time.

Some suggestions:

1. Contact local Tri, running, swimming, biking clubs
2. Talk to your concierge
3. Post in BT Hawaii page
4. Check online sources for trails and paths
5. Contact local running stores
6. Check for local races!  Race T-shirt makes a great souvenir!

Oh, have a great trip!!!

Edited by ejshowers 2009-12-03 3:10 PM
2009-12-03 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've been to Maui three times. I've only swam and run there. Swimming is pretty decent at pretty much any of the beaches. Go out about 50 yards and swim parallel to the shore. Depending on the beach it's possible to swim a half mile or more, then turn around and reverse course. You may not even have to go out 50 yards, just far enough to clear the surf line is fine.

I've only run on the roads near wherever we were staying and on the beaches.

It never looked all that great for biking. The only road with any kind of a shoulder for any decent distance is the main road and there is a huge amount of traffic. I did see some people on bikes in the Upcountry near the winery. Much less traffic, but very narrow and curvy roads. Not saying biking is impossible, but it looked to be more hassle than it was worth - especially on a rental bike.
2009-12-03 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2541865

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
We'll be staying in the Kihei area. Good idea about checking for local races; it turns out there is a rather in-formal looking "Aluminum Man" event that I may be able to do. I liked BikerGrrrl's idea for a run to look at some fancy houses too.
2009-12-03 3:34 PM

User image

Micawber - 2009-12-03 1:01 PM

My wife had this stash of air miles burning a hole in her pocket and she wanted a vacation so we're going to be on Maui over the holidays. It kind of disrupts my regular training rut routine but I've resolved to make the best of it.

Does anyone have suggestions for good running trails on the island or should I stick to the main roads? I've found websites for bike rentals already. I'm not sure if there are decent road routes available though, besides the guided tours down the mountain, or if I should try to find out about mountain biking trails. We'll be close to some beaches where I'm sure the lifeguards can help with swimming tips, but I've also been reading up on rip tides, jellyfish, sharks, etc. One page on shark tips had this little gem: "Try not to look like food."

Any suggestions or tips would be welcome.

Been a bunch, in laws have a place there.

Swim - if the ocean isn't an option for whatever reason, there is a nice pool in Kihei, you can check the web for hours. There is also an aquatic center in Lahaina, but haven't been. Oceans should be fine though. Also there is a tri club there, might want to contact them for ocean swims, etc.

Bike - haven't done any, many roads are small, but there are bigger ones as well, the inland one from Wailea to north of Kihei, the Cross island road from Wailuku to Kihei... but lots of traffic. An epic ride is the ride up Haleakala, although windy road with looky loo tourists.

Run - lots of running, just be visible. The roads south (?) of Wailea are a bit less traveled. Wide to begin with but then they narrow, run against traffic. That's where they have the Maui 1/2 marathon thru the lava fields, like a mini Kona

2009-12-03 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I remember last time I was there (pre tri days) that I saw people climbing Haleakala (volcano) on RBs and also saw people with MTBs going down.  Here's the link for one downhill tour.

The hotel we were at had a big bay that some people were swimming back and forth in.  I recommended that you don't follow sea turtles while snorkeling and getting caught at the edge of a coral bed and having a wave toss you into it with your hand landing on a sea urchin, hurts like heck!

There's always the Maui Xterra 10k run course!

2009-12-03 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2541906

User image

Extreme Veteran

We stayed in Kihei 1 1/2 years ago.  Ah - so nice!  As others have said - ride up Haleakala if you like a workout (goes up to 10000 feet, worth a trip anyway).  Running along the main ave in Kihei is even nice - perhaps I'm easily pleased!  Running along the beach is pleasant as well.

A co-worker cycled along the windy route to Hana last year - very tough.

I just swam in our condo pool - it's great just to be able to jump in without freezing.  There is a public pool just behind the Safeway, if I recall correctly (outdoor - wow!!).  Looked appealing to me, anyway...

There's a cycling shop along Kihei Ave. and we found a running store closer to the airport.

Have fun!

2009-12-04 9:48 AM

New user

You gotta hit Haleakala (though I'm not current ready for that ride)...

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/roadie-hangout/40784-maui-mt-haleakala-epic-climb.html#post598622
2009-12-04 11:27 AM

User image

New user

I did the ride up Haleakala with these guys.  Hands down the most fun I've ever had on a bike. 

www.gocyclingmaui.com

2009-12-04 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Never trained on Maui since I wasn't exercising the two times I went, but I was planning out my training in my head next time I went... we go to the Wailea beach a lot and it would probably be perfect for swimming.  I'd get off shore a bit into deeper water and just swim back and forth.  There is a rock outcropping to the left and smaller outcropping to the right.  Makes for sort of a cove.  I'm in job limbo so our Maui plans for next summer are on hold, but that was to be my giant lap swim training place.

In terms of sharks, done a lot of diving in Maui and have never seen a single shark.  Even when I've seen sharks in the water at other places, they've never bothered me.  Sharks aren't totally benign, I'm just saying you're likely to not see one and if you see one it isn't necessarily going to gnaw your leg off.  There are some nice spots off of this beach.. the left side of the Wailea beach has a nice reef area and the right side has some rocks where I've seen lots of sea turtles.    

Running should be easy... the road that runs through Kihei would be a nice run, maybe run up to Wailea and down the road to Big Beach/Little Beach area.  Not a lot of roads there, you shouldn't have much issue finding a nice route or two to run. 

Enjoy your vacation, Maui is my favorite of the islands and my favorite spot I've ever gone to.     

2009-12-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2541945

User image

New user
Donto - 2009-12-03 3:52 PM I remember last time I was there (pre tri days) that I saw people climbing Haleakala (volcano) on RBs and also saw people with MTBs going down.  Here's the link for one downhill tour.

I'd recommend avoiding the downhill MTB tours.  In 2007 the authorities started cracking down hard on the downhill operations because there were a lot of injuries and even a few deaths.  Now they can't start any higher than the park entrance (~6,500ft or so) and the ride is super lame, unless your idea of a good ride is to be slotted in between junior and grandma in a 10mph paceline and ride the brakes all the way down while wearing a giant parka and a full face motorcycle helmet.  I guess back in the day they took you all the way up and let you bomb down as fast as you dared.

It's way more fun to endure the heckling of all of these bozos on your way up ('Hey! You're going the wrong way!'  Yeah, real original, didn't hear that one from the five tour groups ahead of you) and then have the last laugh while you're spinning out of your 53x12 blowing past them on the way down. 

Edited by Giant Tortoise 2009-12-04 3:56 PM
2009-12-04 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I've been to Maui several times. I don't recall ever seeing a lifeguard on the beach. Take the road to Hana drive (an all day trip) in Hana there are some great hikes/trail runs.

Micawber - 2009-12-03 4:01 PM

• ... We'll be close to some beaches where I'm sure the lifeguards can help with swimming tips, but I've also been reading up on rip tides, jellyfish, sharks, etc. One page on shark tips had this little gem: "Try not to look like food."

• Any suggestions or tips would be welcome.

Edited by losta 2009-12-04 11:10 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation training on Maui? Rss Feed