General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Appling, GA
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 18s
Overall Rank = 217/222
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up about a 1/2 hour before we were to leave (my normal time from past running races), got dressed and ate half a bagel with peanut butter. I planned to eat a banana, but really wasn't hungry enough for that too. Drank some powerade and loaded up the bike on the car.
Event warmup:

We got to the race later than expected and had some confusion about where the starting line was in relation to where we parked - so by the time I got marked and set up the transition area, I had to head down to the lake for the start. I hadn't really planned a warmup, but I had wanted to check out the logistics a little before the race. My husband had scoped out where I needed to go, so he let me know where the run up to T1 was and which side to exit for the bike.

After I got to the lake, I realized I had my husband's goggles in my hand, so I was a little panicked as he adjusted the elastic for me. I actually ended up liking the fit of his goggles better, so I'm probably going to replace mine now!
Swim
  • 20m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 03m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had volunteered at the last tri the parks, so I expected the shock of how far 600 meters looks in the lake. This course was laid out a little differently though, so I couldn't really see the finish from where we started - which was probably a good think. I was surprised to see how LITTLE you could see in the water. I didn't get in an open water swim before this race, which was bad, so this was an unwelcome surprise. I didn't realize how much of a difference this makes though!

I was in the third wave and I talked to a few people around me before the start. I started in the back left of the wave, so I wouldn't get trampled and walked forward a little before starting to swim. As soon as I started swimming - I freaked out. I couldn't breathe at all. For some reason, I kept trying to breathe UNDER water!! It was a very scary experience and after struggling with it for a while, I finally flipped over and started doing the backstroke (which I haven't done since middle school, as far as i can remember). I stopped every once in a while to turn around and make sure I was going in the right direction. I tried several times to get back into freestyle again, but I kept having the same problem. I had hoped to finish this leg in 15 minutes and the results 20:18 (including the hill up to T1) so it's not too bad, considering.
What would you do differently?:

I definately need to get LOTS of practice in open water. I was so proud of the progress I had made in the pool (I started out not being able to do 50 yards and made it up to 600 straight), but it did me no good in the lake. I'm going to try to get in the lake about 1x per week from now to my next tri, so I can figure out what my issues with the lake are.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I was tired and frustrated at this point, so it wasn't a very fast transition. The container that I filled with water to rinse off my feet had leaked out, so it took a few extra seconds to get all the sand and dirt off before puttin on my socks and shoes.

Get a better container for rinsing off feet - one that doesn't leak. Practice drying off a little, quickly.
Bike
  • 59m 7s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 11.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I was glad for the Y shaped course, since I was able to see people as they came from the other direction - and it helped me plan for the hills. I never realized how much slower a mountain bike was until I was pedalling fast down a hill, as a guy on a road bike coasted by me with no pedalling. What the heck! :)

Overall, I did better on this leg. Decent time, for me, I think. It was a little disheartening to come back to T2 with a huge group of people at mile 2 on the run.

Get a better bike. More time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

This was a pretty smooth transition, except that I forgot to try on my race belt before the race, so I had to fumble with it before getting it fit decently, I ended up tying it on a bit, instead of just clipping it.

Set-up race belt, so I just have to clip it on.
Run
  • 33m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I stretched my quads for a second after grabbing water just outside of T2. I ran most of the way, except the first trail section and one other time. I'm comfortable as a runner (my previous sport), so this was my comfort zone. Not fast, but comfortable.

More speedwork to get my times down.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching and powerade. Walked around and talked to other competitors, watched my dad finish the race (his pedal fell off his Wal-mart bike at mile 4, but he finished!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming issues, not enough speedwork prior to the race. Lots of hours at work for 3 weeks during training altered my training plans, too.

Event comments:

I don't have other tris to compare this too, but I thought it was a well organized, supported race (based on running races). I'm not sure what everyone else expects from a race, but I thought it was a good event! :)

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:18 | 600 yards | 03m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/222
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Wade-in start with a buoy straight ahead, turn right around buoy and follow shoreline to another buoy, then walk up to the beach. A bit of a hill up from the beach to T1.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:59:07 | 11.6 miles | 11.77 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Y shaped on lightly traveled, two lane roads. Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:27 | 03.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Trail and asphalt. The first part of the course went down a fairly steep hill with wet leaves (slippery and muddy) and then back up a pretty steep hill that most people walked up (including me). Scenic and nice course overall.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park

2005-06-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #169558

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Way to go Heather!
You'll get used to the swim!
2005-06-06 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Hey hblackmon. It was nice to see you at Winder as a Volunteer. For me, the lake swim was the most intimidating of all the events. I am guessing that the confusion of it all combined with the stress of your first open water wave start experience led to the breathing difficulties you wrote about. I am betting that you will not experience that at the next race you compete in.

Congrats on finishing your first tri. Are you considering Indian Springs? I am going to do that one. Like you, I competed in my first (Winder) with a mountain bike. I am going out today to buy a tri bike.

Give TriComet and Steamy a call sometime. They are really into this Tri thing too.

Also, get kblackmon out there as well :-)

Ron.
2005-06-06 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Great first triathlon! As I've said on other MIstletoe race reports; I wish all the BTer's had setup a meet before the race. The swim was 600 meters instead of 600 yards, which you listed, that makes your swim time 10% better right away. Open water takes getting used to and I bet next time you'll be fine.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed