General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-26 3:28 PM

New user

Subject: What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike
Hi everyone. I am ready to buy 2 new tri bikes from a local shop in southern CT. They have just arrived and I went to check them out today. The guy told me originally that they will be properly fitted and we will be able to take them out for a test ride, then will talk about the price.
Total cost for 2 bikes before taxes about $2800.
I love the bikes and I want to buy them but here is the thing:
They basically just come out the box and are not fitted I am told that I will have to tweak around and make adjustments myself, no mention of the first tune up, no test ride, no brake on the price of the 2 bikes and he asked if I can pay for them right now.
He will throw in some cheap tires we can use on the trainer and a discount on the pedals very basic.
What should I do or what to expect. Any help will be appreciated.

2009-12-26 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2578272

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike
That was not my experience at ALL.

I had a basic fit on my bike (later paid for a prolonged fit after I had been riding for a year).  I tested a few bikes when I got my TT bike and LOADS of bikes when I got my road bike.

After a month they did a free tune up and all the minor tweaking at the beginning was free (and usually still is but I do pay for the annual and pre race tune ups)

I have NOT heard of no fitting at all happening - a basic fit is usually part of the purchase.

And I have never bought a bike that I did not try first.
2009-12-26 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Wow,

I went to a few bike shops in town to get a feel for price level, features etc. and also to get a feel for level of support.  I actually went with an inexpensive road bike that only cost $800 and change.  I was brand new to cylcling and the bike shop owner knew this.  So I order the bike, it comes in a week or so later and he sets it up for me to sit on to adjust seat, bars etc.  Then I spin on it for a while on a trainer so he can adjust shifters, brakes etc.  He recommended I take the bile for a spin around the block a few times but I declined because it's a downtown area and I was too chicken sh_ _ to be amongst cars etc. on my first ever ride.  So I only rode in parks for the first few months to learn how to ride the darn thing.

Bottom line is that the purchase of this $800 bike included ONE year of free adjustments.  I must have taken my bike in at least 6 times now (bought the bike in late May).  Most of the time it's been a 1-day turnaround.  The shop also give priority to those who bought their bikes at that shop (I had a race on a Sunday one time, took the bike in on Friday.  The assistant told me it would be done on Tuesday, the bike shop owner overheard and said, no, it will be ready Saturday.

The bike shop came highly recommended and now I know why.

For $2,800 of bikes you should be getting at least the service I have recieved.  Don't they want return business, good references etc.?  They must be the only game in town so you have to buy there or something.
2009-12-26 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Doesn't sound like the best situation.

There are lots of bike stores to buy from.

First off you want to make sure the bike fits you. To often folks buy a bike and come to realize later on bike is wrong size which means making due or buying another bike both are not good choices. So this needs to be avoided at all costs and truly is number one point buy a bike that you are sure fits you. Some bike shops do detailed bike fits and some have you stand over top tube and say yah it fits (that is not a bike fit).

My bike guy measures me ( how long my legs, arms, torso ect are, how flexible I am, what type of races I plan to do, what injuries or issues do I have ect are all considered in his fitting my bike), he figures out by geometry what would be the ideal bike fit/geometry for me so I have top tube length, head tube length, seat height, ect which is essence is what I would have a custom bike made for me specs wise.

From there within my budget he picks standard bikes and compares them to my ideal fit to see how close they will be to fit me.

We talk parts, and price and I decide which I want, he orders it, sets it up to fit me exactly, I ride it for as long as I want even take it home for the weekend, then if I want I buy it knowing it fits me and I like how it rides.

Some shops offer free service for a year, some offer one free tune up.

All these things should be ironed out before you buy the bike.

Why are you getting two?

Just because you love the bikes doesn't mean other shops and bikes might not be 1. a better value and/or 2. fit you better

I'd say keep shopping around and don't commit to buying those bike until you are 100% sure they fit and are a good value.

What brand and model bikes? Folks here know a lot and can help advice you if it is a good deal or not.

Good luck!
2009-12-26 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Sutherlin
When I got my Trek, the LBS measuered me and ordered the bike.  Got fitted to me when it came in, and I got 2 yes 2 years of free tune ups....

2009-12-26 4:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Just tell the guy that wasn't the original agreement that you had. Was it the same guy? Did you talk to the owner or a lazy employee?

First of all, that's pretty atypical, adn second of all, that's not the agree ment you initially had. IF they balk, go elsewhere. A LBS shoudl be bending over backwards to give you service.

2009-12-27 1:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
Got my first road bike from REI.  The initial fitting was simply a measurement of inseam, and I think hip to floor to find the size of bike.  After that no fitting.  When I asked and compared their policy to other LBS he shrugged and told me I could pay $100 for a more thorough fitting.  I winced.  They did have a 30 day tune up, which consisted of having the bike for two days, and I swear all they did was adjust my saddle out of where I had finally found the perfect spot.  (good thing I marked it wit a pen)

If the bike had not been a free prize thru my job I would have gone elsewhere.
2009-12-27 2:07 AM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
My LBS offers lifetime maintenance on a bike purchased from them. They do a basic fitting but I didn't ask about an in depth one. The just assembled my bike and did the fitting for me after I brought them all the parts.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike Rss Feed