General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool/Gym Equiquette horror stories revival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-02-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2581749

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: RE: Pool/Gym Equiquette horror stories revival
x3 on the sidewalk/too many abreast thing. The "whole-trailers"on the trails by my house who can never seem to hear "on your left" drive me crazy...

2010-02-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2686485

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
jcnipper - 2010-02-22 2:31 PM
Big Vern - 2009-12-30 11:55 AM
justtrichris - 2009-12-29 9:37 PM This isn't pool or gym etiquette, but it is road etiquette. Many a times, I've run by/around/into people walking four or five in a row on the sidewalk when I'm running. Normally, I'd just jump in the street and keep going, but a few times it's been on very busy streets here in San Francisco. So, I brave the mass of people and stay to the sidewalk in these cases. Well, one time I was running toward a group of tourists and was motioning for them to scoot over so I could have room to pass. They weren't moving, and I was getting closer. I looked toward the street, and it was packed with moving cars. So I made the decision to stay on the sidewalk. I kept motioning for one person to just scoot over slightly so I could pass. They were all walking facing me, so I still have no idea why one of them just didn't scoot over. I was on the far right of the sidewalk. They just kept on walking in their five person horizontal wall. The closer I got, the more angry I got. They weren't moving. As I finally reached them, I elbowed the guy on the end and pushed him while I yelled, "move." Luckily, I was running and I just kept going. They all started yelling back, but I just kept going. Yes, it was wrong of me. Yes, I was out of line for doing it. No, I don't regret it. Yes, I'd do it again!
This is only situation when I am thankful for being a big sweater. Want to hog the sidewalk and walk four abreast without moving for me? No problem. Just don't be surprised when I pull the "wet dog shake" while passing you and you find yourself showered with my perspiration.

x2 on this one.  I normally run in a small town with some foot traffic on weekends.  I'll move to the street if safe, but if not, you will not walk more than 2 abreast without getting a big sweat mark on your clothes from where our shoulders hit.

I will politely say "Excuse me" and go around if I'm coming up from behind - but if they are walking towards me and don't move and I have nowhere to go - I'll run into them.  It seems to be most common with teenagers - who usually then yell obscenities which I ignore.  I don't care - I have a right to half the sidewalk and you should move over - if not I'll run into you.

I find running with my Doberman Pinscher gets me the whole sidewalk.
2010-02-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2686517

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
40isnotold - 2010-02-22 3:42 PM x3 on the sidewalk/too many abreast thing. The "whole-trailers"on the trails by my house who can never seem to hear "on your left" drive me crazy...

Im the same way with people who have there iPod on so loud I can hear it from 10yds away, yet they whine about me not announcing myself as I pass them. Sorry, Ive been too lazy to mount the airhorn on my bike.
2010-02-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2686528

User image

Silver_wlf - 2010-02-22 10:44 AM
jcnipper - 2010-02-22 2:31 PM
Big Vern - 2009-12-30 11:55 AM
justtrichris - 2009-12-29 9:37 PM This isn't pool or gym etiquette, but it is road etiquette. Many a times, I've run by/around/into people walking four or five in a row on the sidewalk when I'm running. Normally, I'd just jump in the street and keep going, but a few times it's been on very busy streets here in San Francisco. So, I brave the mass of people and stay to the sidewalk in these cases. Well, one time I was running toward a group of tourists and was motioning for them to scoot over so I could have room to pass. They weren't moving, and I was getting closer. I looked toward the street, and it was packed with moving cars. So I made the decision to stay on the sidewalk. I kept motioning for one person to just scoot over slightly so I could pass. They were all walking facing me, so I still have no idea why one of them just didn't scoot over. I was on the far right of the sidewalk. They just kept on walking in their five person horizontal wall. The closer I got, the more angry I got. They weren't moving. As I finally reached them, I elbowed the guy on the end and pushed him while I yelled, "move." Luckily, I was running and I just kept going. They all started yelling back, but I just kept going. Yes, it was wrong of me. Yes, I was out of line for doing it. No, I don't regret it. Yes, I'd do it again!
This is only situation when I am thankful for being a big sweater. Want to hog the sidewalk and walk four abreast without moving for me? No problem. Just don't be surprised when I pull the "wet dog shake" while passing you and you find yourself showered with my perspiration.

x2 on this one.  I normally run in a small town with some foot traffic on weekends.  I'll move to the street if safe, but if not, you will not walk more than 2 abreast without getting a big sweat mark on your clothes from where our shoulders hit.

I will politely say "Excuse me" and go around if I'm coming up from behind - but if they are walking towards me and don't move and I have nowhere to go - I'll run into them.  It seems to be most common with teenagers - who usually then yell obscenities which I ignore.  I don't care - I have a right to half the sidewalk and you should move over - if not I'll run into you.

I find running with my Doberman Pinscher gets me the whole sidewalk.

For me personally, when I'm running, I just go around no matter what.  Just so I don't have to worry about someone me off and ruining my workout.

But what really pisses me off...is when this happens when I am simply WALKING the other direction.  A bunch of idiots walking 4 wide taking up the whole sidewalk and refuse to move for people walking the other way.  In these situations, I don't budge.  If I'm the only one walking, and am walking on one side of the sidewalk (generally the right side), I am not moving or slowing down one bit.  Just irritates the hell out of me...especially if I end up bumping them and they turn around and yell at me.  WTF did you expect me to do? 
2010-02-22 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2686635

User image

Extreme Veteran
I once had a lady walk right into the front wheel of my bike on a multi-use trail. She was talking to her 2 or 3 friends, walking abreast. I stopped about 20' from them and she never even broke yap to look where she was walking.

It scared the crap out of her, and she somehow thought it was my fault for not "letting her know I was there."
2010-02-22 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2686990

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

I run with my Dobie also.  Everyone moves.

2010-02-22 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2686240

User image

Ventura County, California
juniperjen - ...he jacks up the speed and holds on for dear life the whole time.  And then periodically he holds the side rails and lifts his body weight and skips his feet along the belt more lightly.

You reminded me of one of my favorites at the Y.
First time I saw this guy, he was wearing the Black T-shirt that constitutes one of the higher award levels of our gymn's Fitpoint tracking system. Our gym hasn't been open for all that long... it immediatly caught my attention that someone had already achieved that level. My next impression was that this guy sure is over-weight for someone who has a regiment that has earned so many Fitpoints so quickly. I don't generally spend much time worrying about other people and didn't think much more about it at the time...

Flash forward one week. The guy climbs onto the treadmill next to me and the answer reveals itself. While he doesn't crank it up so fast, his form is notable. He basically has the console in a bear-hug with most of his weight laying on top and then shuffles his feet across the belt.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why anyone should need an XXL T-shirt that signifies you have reached a pinnacle of fitness. That's just wrong!
2010-02-22 7:09 PM

User image

Master
I have to join this one. Let me preface by describing myself: 6ft even, 210 lbs, hairy, can break a solid sweat in weather under 60 degrees.
I have one child and a healthy respect for women. I will help anyone with a child by holding doors, moving out of the way, letting them jump a line if needed. However, I guess there are limits.

Where I live there is a 3 mile paved trail around a golf course. Bi-Driectional, multi-use.

My usual technique is to warn people when I am behind them and make eye contact/take up space when they are coming my way. If a group is blocking the path walking abreast, I will just stop, and stand my ground. A SHOCKING number of people look pissed. One time someone apologized, but didn't seem sure why I hadn't moved.

So I am running the other evening, a tempo run, and feeling good. A group is coming the other way, 4 abreast. 3 pushing strollers.  It is still plenty light to see me coming. They don't move, and I didn't feel like stopping. As I passed (by getting off the path), I said "Hey guys, please make some room" and kept going.
2.5 miles later, same group...one of the women looks at me and says "still doing it"
I REALLY wanted to stop and either shake some sweat off or get into a conversation about politeness.
However, I thought about one of the taglines I saw here-paraphrased "Don't argue with idiots, bystanders may not be able to tell the difference"
2010-02-22 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2687114

User image

Seems like there are a lot of problems with people and their baby strollers.

So what happens when a group of three women are pushing their strollers 3 wide and another group of three strollers are going the other way?  Does some type of stare down ensue to see which group has the right of way?

2010-02-22 7:36 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
My gym has a policy that anyone under 16 must accompanied by an adult but the rule is often not enforced. Parents will frequently drop their children off at the pool (no lifeguard) while they workout in the main gym. This bothers me because the pool is a lap pool and these kids are often screwing around and there isn't a lifeguard so if something happens to them I feel responsible (I know I shouldn't but I do).

I was swimming laps one afternoon, everyone else was sharing lanes except for me. A kid got in my lane to share but failed to let me know. We colided head on as I was doing a backstroke set and he was doing his best Michael Phelps impersonation. I felt bad but this kid was all over the place and not a parent to be found. Argg.
2010-02-22 8:02 PM

Veteran

To avoid the typical BS that one endures in the gym locker room, I pay extra for the "executive" locker room. It's nice,,,, smaller with large, wide benches, your own locker and a couple private shower stalls that are never occupied while I am there. My only complaint is that it has a single toilet with a partitian in the room. It is 10' from the lockers and is not around the corner or anything, just right there by the sinks.

In the last few weeks a new dude has been coming in right at the time I am finishing up my workout and coming in to shower and dress. This guy is a disgusting, dirty unkempt overweight hippie who usually smells like smoke. When he comes in, he strips down and goes in a takes a huge DUMP, stinking up the room with last nights double chili bacon guacamole burger with the extra large jalepneo chili cheese fries. 

I've stocked my locker with a hospital grade air deoderizer/germ killer spray.
Fortunately, if history holds true, he'll disapear within another couple weeks or so.....  

2010-02-22 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Going back around 3 years now when first in this sport, and using the pool at the gym for swim sessions.  Had a program and would always be first into the pool so would grab whatever swim equipment needed to be used from the gym gear and set it up on the end of the deck with my laminated program on top of it.

While swimming this banker (yes he actually worked in a bank) would come in and instead of getting his own gear would remove mine to use, meaning my session would need to be breaked while I had to get out and get more gear.  I had a go at him and his belief was that if it wasn't physically being used right then it was free to use.  Mind you this was in a 2 lane swimming pool that rarely had more than 4 users at a time.
2010-02-22 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2687141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
tri808 - 2010-02-22 8:33 PM

So what happens when a group of three women are pushing their strollers 3 wide and another group of three strollers are going the other way?  Does some type of stare down ensue to see which group has the right of way?

Baby strollers are my nemesis! I was about mile 8 or 9 in during the Philly half mary a few years ago coming up a hill in Fairmount park- not really a pleasant time for a hill during a race.  Out of nowhere, this woman strolls in front of me with her huge running stroller with one kid in it and a toddler in tow walking (aka being dragged) behind her.  Mind you, she's trying to cross the race course during the height of the race where the racing crowd is at its peak in this section.

Instead of waiting until it's really clear, she "bolts" in front of a bunch of runners and cuts me off where I have to come to a dead stop.  I may or may not have yelled an inappropriate expletive, but I was that guessing if you are a spectator and have a ginormous running stroller, you might be aware of the etiquette of watching on the sidelines.  Sadly, I think I was wrong.

Every time I see someone running with a stroller I have this visceral reaction which is likely not good as I might have one myself one day.  Albeit, I'll know better than to launch myself in the path of hundreds of runners coming up a hill during a half marathon.  Phew!  (serenity now....)
2010-02-22 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2686517

Extreme Veteran
Washington
I don't like when people aren't aware of their surroundings, it irritates me.

Last fall I was riding on a nearby bike path, when I come up behind this plus size woman lazily meandering down the center of the path.  Not much room for passing on either side, so I yell "ON YOUR LEFT!!!", she turns around, totally terror stricken, and starts shuffling to her left, DIRECTLY into my path.  Total flight or fight response. I manage to swerve and avoid hitting her and as I ride on you could still hear the panic in her voice as she continued to chat on her phone. 
2010-02-22 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2685936

New user
Rhode Island/Southeastern MA

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-02-22 12:10 PM I tried to explain to her that tapping someone on the feet was the way to tell them you want to pass them at the wall, but she had obviously made up her mind that the other woman was being rude and there was no convincing her.

No one has ever tapped my feet but good information to know

Okay, this may not be on the level of some of the other sightings reported, but my stomach turned over at the sight of a person leaving the sauna dripping with sweat, not showering, and getting into the pool. ICK. 
-C

2010-02-22 9:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington
?? people sweat in the pool while swimming

2010-02-22 10:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Since this has kind of veered off of the pool focus, i've got a couple to add.

durring a local tri a couple of years back (Jailbreak - 3.5 mile canoe, 8 mile mtn bike, 2.5 mile run, wife and I did it as a relay). Was on the bike making pretty good time, first time in an event like this and was stoked.. Got stuck beind this guy, full kit (compared to my baggy shorts and t-shirt) that just would not move.. every time I tried to over take (had enough speed built up and enough of a "on your left" so he knew I was there) he'd end up blocking me out at each section where there was room, dropping into a super granny gear on some of the climbs, I swear his legs were moving in 10 rotations per one on his wheel.. finally just road through the deep stuff to get around him, much to my amusement I got a "way to push it man".. as I passed him, well I would've pushed it earlier and gained back the minutes I lost on the trail if he hadn't made himself 4 ft wide!

Other was around mile 25-ish of my first Marathon (Disney 09), running right by Spaceship earth a family decides to try to cut accross the course.. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.. ok I was hurting already and you're going to do WHAT? I was able to dodge to my left and push the father to the right while saying a # of things I'm sure my kids weren't old enough to hear.. I mean, WTF people?
2010-02-22 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2687141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

tri808 - 2010-02-22 7:33 PM

It's a case of the North bound and South bound Zax.  (Seuss seemed appropriate, given the kiddies in strollers.)

I haven't had many problems along these lines, although I heard a story once about somebody biking down a local multi-use trail and coming around a corner and nearly running into a guy who had walked out there with a collapsible chair and blanket and planted himself right in the middle of the trail... he was reading a book, dontcha know.

It's a quiet trail (part of why I love it) and I find this story totally believable.

2010-02-22 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2685883

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Silver_wlf - 2010-02-22 10:49 AM I come from a competitive swimming background - so I spent most of my elementary/high school athletic time in a pool.  Needless to say - I have several things that are "automatic" for me and really stress me out when something prevents what I consider to be "normal" pool procedure.  (I'm also just a little OCD ...)

Anyway - so compared to the hair dryer, nudity and other crazy stories on here - mine's more of a rant...

Let me preface this by saying I have to finish my lap by touching the wall.  I HAVE to.  I had years of coaches freaking out, throwing kickboards, etc. if you didn't - I don't have a choice.  If I can't I get all edgy. 

I swim masters and I get really frustrated sometimes with people who stand around chatting at the wall (thus preventing me from touching) or leave just as I'm about to come in or leave right on my butt.  It annoys the #(*(#$ out of me and I know that it shouldn't be a big deal but it is.  I know that it's not competitive swimming and I know that part of masters is social - but it drives me bananas. 

There - I feel better.

Maybe they were your Therapists blocking the wall on purpose

j/k...I'm the say way, a lil OCD (gotta go...Judge Wapner is on)
2010-02-22 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2686139

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Johners - 2010-02-22 12:23 PM This thread is making me chuckle.

I particularly like the image of a runner elbowing through a group of tourists.  I hate it when people don't move either.  I'm not quite that gutsy, though.  I'd just move.

Anyway - the bane of my existence is excessively sweaty BO man.  Friendly enough fellow, but he never towels down ANYTHING when he's done with it and he sweats in gallons.  Even the dumbbells are wet when he's done with them.  Just the other day a bench had a puddle on it from his use.

Now, I know that sweat is sterile, but it's still gross.[/QUOTE

Sweat may be sterile (I didn't know that until now), but apossible blister or cut mixed in with the sweat isn't.

Sweat or no sweat...wipe down the equipment.  I don't need another case of Staph (I just wipe it down beforehand anyways to be sure)
2010-02-22 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2687443

User image

Ventura County, California
dbrawders - .. Got stuck beind this guy, full kit that just would not move..

During my years racing MTB, my team-mates and I experimented with a number of strategies in dealing with slower riders in single-track. We had the best results by following closely behind the offending rider and yelling repeatedly "Faster, Faster, FASTER" they usually comply as best they can until they just completely blow or throw in the towel and allow you to pass. Results were always surprisingly fast.

2010-02-23 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2686295

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
mfilan - 2010-02-22 11:18 AM

I finished up my swim last week and came back to my locker.  There was a guy with his leg up on the bench right in front of my locker battering his oysters with the baby powder.  Was a horrid sight to see....I had to leave the locker room for a few minutes to give him time to finish up as I certainly wasn't going to get my stuff with him there.

When I came back there was just a giant circle of powder about 6 lockers wide and I had no shoes since I was swimming.  I almost threw up thinking about the left over oyster battering powder that I was standing in. 

I was taking drink as I read this and you made me choke on my water.  What an image.  Hilarious!
2010-02-23 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
I don't know if I'm going to hell for this or not but here it goes. I'm at the gym pool on Saturday and I go to swim and every lane has someone in it so I drop my kickboard and stuff and go back in to shower. I come out and everyone is gone except this person in the middle lane (3 lanes at the gym) and she is just jumping up and down and splashing all over the place. I get ready to swim and she is still flailing her arms and jumping up and down and splashing. About half way through my 45 min swim she finishes and goes over to the stairs to get out of the pool and I see that she is sitting on the top step and I see that she doesn't have a swimsuit on because I can clearly see her butt. She shimmies her way onto the tile deck and I notice that she is somehow handicapped because her legs are really small and I see her grab some crutches to get up. I now know that she is really naked so I look away but I can see that the people in the hot tub have noticed and are all looking at the ceiling and then someone comes out of the steam room and starts to laugh and goes back in. I'm still wondering why she didn't have a suit on. Just weird.

Also the guy who smokes a pack of cigarettes before he comes to the gym and gets on the bike next to me and sweats cigarette smoke smelling BO for a 1/2 hour.
2010-02-23 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Well, I think reading this thread has cursed me, b/c I recently (fir the first time) saw someone at the gym drying their crotch with one of the public hairdryers.

A few weeks ago, I was swimming during the mid-morning swim-aerobics class.  I was sharing a lane, swimming in the closest lane to their space, to the side of the lane closest to them.  During one lap, I noticed the one aerobics lady's feet under the water...she was wearing sneakers!  Not water-socks, but like Nike sneakers!  Added resistance, maybe?!?!?

Last week, I saw "towel-lady".  After swimming, I usually sit in the hot tub for a few minutes if I have time.  My gym has a few pool chairs in the hot tub area, I guess some people like to lounge in the humidity w/o actually getting in the water?  So, I get in and notice this older woman sitting on one of the chairs.  She is facing the corner and has this mound of bags and towels all around her on the chair and floor.  She was putting on socks and boots, and I figured maybe she was getting changed there b/c it was more private than the locker area.  Once she gets her boots on, she starts gathering up her stuff.  This woman picked up a whole armload full of towels and carried them over to one of the dirty towel containers.  Then, she walks back to her chair, and picks up a second full armload of dirty towels.  This woman must have used 12 - 15 towels to shower/cover the chair/whatever in the world she was doing with them!  Jeez, I feel bad when I use two!
2010-02-23 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Just a weird and somewhat uncomfortable thing.  I had just finished a swim workout and was drying off after a shower.  It was nearly closing time at the gym when one of the young male employees came in peering around.  I was still naked and just about to pull on my pants.  10 seconds later the guy comes back in with a female employee in tow.  They did announce, "girl in the locker room", but there were a couple of guys in the showers she walked past, though they have curtains.  And had I been a little slower dressing, my junk would have still been on display.  I don't have anything  I have a lot to hide,Wink but I still think it is way inappropriate for a female to come walking through the men's locker room.  Why not wait a few more minutes until just after closing time when the locker room is empty?!  The reason for her being there:  she was young guy's boss and wanted to inspect the floor he was assigned to clean.  She nearly saw more than she hoped to.  Or maybe that's why she came in when she did.  Dunno.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool/Gym Equiquette horror stories revival Rss Feed  

of 6