General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather run – what to wear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 8:18 AM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
Subject: Cold weather run – what to wear?

Let me stop you northern latitude people right now.  I’m in the South, so when I say “cold” please remember that it is relative!

Anywho, I’ve been getting into tri training, and haven’t run seriously in years.  Consequently, I’ve been having to restock my running attire.  Now that it’s winter and I find myself having to run in the dark, after work, it’s regularly around freezing outside.  I am in need of some kind of warm top for running.  I’m thinking of some sort of pull-over, non-cotton thing.  I think the problem is that there are too many choices out there. 

So, let the suggestions roll!  Less expensive is always better, but I don’t want something that’s going to fall apart, either.   Thanks!!

2009-12-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2585863

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Cold weather run – what to wear?
If it is at the freezing mark, but not windy, I wear capri length tights, a lightweight long-sleeve technical shirt (all from C9 by Target) a ball cap and gloves. If it is windy I add a windbreaker. I don't pull out the lined stuff until it is well in the 20s. My philosophy is that if I'm cold when I start I'll be fine once I get going.
2009-12-31 8:27 AM

2009-12-31 8:28 AM

User image

Master
x2 Long sleeve technical material on top and bottom with mittens and a hat or headband is plenty for me in the 30's. If it gets to low 20's, I'll add a short sleeve on top.
2009-12-31 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
As you said it is all relative. 

In Minnesota, here are a few things I use throughout the year,

30 shorts and a tank top... ok joking on that one, but that sounds really nice right now

30-50 is normally a long sleeved thin base layer (compression top, some cheaper target UA type tops work), then I either put a heavier long sleeve insulated dry fit style shirt (Have a nice Nike Pro one that provides some warmth, but not so much for the wind.  If it is windy, a shell or something to block the wind either in place of the dry fit long sleeve and maybe just a tech t under the shell.  Nike Pro running tights and a pair of shorts, Thin liner style gloves and maybe a headband for my ears.

Sub 30- long base layer, tech t (short or long), dry fit shirt, and wind proof shell, if really cold (single digits) a fleece or something over the top.  Again the insulated running tights, and possibly a pair of windbreaker pants (i just hate the noise they make) As temps get down there, a pair of smartwool running socks. 

They tend to say dress up about 10 degrees for running due to body temp. 

I have always had the best luck finding winter clothing in the spring, or at discount stores such as TJ Max or Marshals etc. 
2009-12-31 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
First, when running dress like it is 10* warmer. You should start out feeling cold and by the end of the first 10 minutes you will settle into a more comfortable temperature. Also, be sure to have a jacket or something to throw on after you are done so that you retain your body temperature.

As to what to wear, the first rule is dress in layers. A dry-fit base layer is key ... and need not be expensive. I buy my base layers from Target or Wal-Mart for >$10 each. On top of these dry-fit layers I wear either a cycling jersey, a thicker dry fit "shirt" or even a fleece shirt. Depending on the weather I might wear arm warmers.  Regardless of what is worn, the key is "breathability".

For my legs I either wear running tights or running shorts (I wore shorts running the night before last when it was 34* and my legs felt fine). Your legs tend to heat up nicely when running given the energy exerted.

Here is where I have found the key to be: head and hands.  For my head I wear a dry-fit skull cap. It allows you to retain body heat while being able to "breathe" away the excess heat.  For my hands I just use ceap cotton gloves that can be had for $10 for 3 pair.

2009-12-31 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Another vote for Target workout clothes!  They are good quality and super cheap.  I even found a beanie hat with a ponytail hole in the back.  If you have long hair, you understand how excellent this is. 

For 30*, I would wear tights (from Target) which have kind of a fuzzy inside layer, not fleece, just brushed fabric.  On top, a long sleeved tech shirt and my running jacket, mainly for the pockets.  Add light gloves and a hat. 

I need to dress about 15* cooler than the temp as I tend to heat up pretty quickly.   The Runner's World calculator is a good one. 
2009-12-31 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I'll x2 the athletic gear from Target - I have a few things from there that I use for both biking and running. and they have a good selection of stuff.

32* and I wear a base layer and either a mock zip fleece sweatshirt or a mockzip pull over shirt. The mock zip I think is one of the best ways to control temps - if you get hot, unzip, cold zip back up. But it's a great way to run. And I also wear gloves because I hate having cold hands. And for the legs - I purchased some UnderArmour tights that I wear for both biking and running - they are the only long tights I have for cooler weather but they work well. I think they were $30??

Anything colder and I stay inside on the treadmill...I get spoiled living in the high desert southwest!
2009-12-31 9:26 AM

User image

Master
I'm in the Atlanta area and here is what I wear:

For non-windy runs above 40 degrees, long sleeved lightweight technical shirt and shorts (I like the Brooks Pacer shorts).  Knitted gloves and a headband (I have the Brooks Vapor Dry headband) to keep my hands and ears warm.

For windy runs or 36-40 degrees, I add tights or long-johns under or instead of my shorts.

For runs below 35, I wear the above but add a vest and wear tube socks over my gloves.  I've Brooks-i-fied my tube socks so they don't look completely ridiculous - check out the photo in my Kiawah race report.

For runs below 30, I exchange the regular technical shirt for a heavier-weight shirt and/or add a long-sleeved fleece instead of the vest.

I'm on the Brooks ID team, so I'm very partial to their clothing.  It is good and it lasts forever.  The vest, shorts and long-sleeved shirts that I am using now have been in my regular rotation and washing in hot water since about 2000 with no apparent wear except for the logos falling off. 

Regardless of the brand you buy, if you are in the Atlanta area, Big Peach Running Company has some clothes on clearance to make way for the spring stuff coming in.  Also, it's almost time for the 2010 running apparel, so a lot of online retailers are also having great sales.  (www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com for example) and free or reduced shipping.

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2009-12-31 9:27 AM
2009-12-31 9:26 AM

User image

Master

double post

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2009-12-31 9:26 AM
2009-12-31 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

I'm from Vegas (not native), and I tend to wear a base layer (Trek technical long sleeve shirt), and a Nike technical cycling Jacket.  I used my base layer leggings for skiing. While it kept me warm, it doesn't stop the cold wind from cycling. So I'm looking into something I can put over that.

It is a jacket, and has reflective strips of fabric on it. It's also windproof, and water resistant (when it rains, droplets of water just beads up and slides off...whatever the technical word it is!) Has three pockets, and one zippered pocket, in the back, fleece lined=very warm. If I get too warm I just either unzip from the top during running, and unzip from the bottom during cycling. It kept me warm for cycling in 30 degree weather, and cold windchill...headwind! I probably was the one of the few not complaining about the cold with it on, as others had cycling shirts or arm warmers. :-
It's a little long in the arms (probably because it's unisex type of thing, and I'm short).

I can't seem to find it online, but if you want a picture of it, I'll send it. I personally think it's great.
I got this at a bike shop where I won a gift certificate to, it was less than $60 (Half off from 120 and was a member of the biking community, so I got another discount).  I personally found this to be perfect for the two sports. Funny enough - at the same bike shop, there was a $200 windbreaker paper thin jacket. WTH? Who wants to spend *that* much money for something that's just windproof...not to keep you warm?!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather run – what to wear? Rss Feed