in reply to: #2598374

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: Better Define: BOP/MOP/FOP
the bear - 2010-01-06 2:21 PM
Scout7 - 2010-01-06 2:20 PM

LostSheep - 2010-01-06 3:17 PM

If your not on the podium, you're not FOP.

If you're not the last one to cross the finish, you're not BOP.

Guess that pretty much puts you in the MOP.

What about winning an age group?

FOP-AG

Agreed.

I see nothing wrong with someone saying they were FOP-AG. More power to them! And CONGRATS.

Me, yea, I'm not there, so I don't worry about it. As long as I beat myself then I'm happy!

2010-01-06 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2598608

User image

Veteran
Metairie
KathyG - 2010-01-06 3:27 PM
To the OP question, how do you see yourself? And why does it matter if you are FOP/MOP/BOP?

OP here, I tend to define myself with useless precision (as opposed to useles vaguery) by obsessing endlessly over the results of every race I touch (swim meets, running races and tris).  Before I am done, I know where I ranked in every possible manner in comparisons to others and to my previous performances (in every possible split); it serves no purpose other than allow me to care way too much about what I did well and what I did poorly.

The only reason I care about B/M/FOP is because people tend to use the terms frequently; and I prefer to have a frame of reference for how I compare to those to whom I am listening.

Also I have had a very bad cold for the last two days that has kept me from training and I may be getting bored/stir crazy.
2010-01-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2599021

Master
bufit323 - 2010-01-06 6:54 PM
KathyG - 2010-01-06 3:27 PM
To the OP question, how do you see yourself? And why does it matter if you are FOP/MOP/BOP?

OP here, I tend to define myself with useless precision (as opposed to useles vaguery) by obsessing endlessly over the results of every race I touch (swim meets, running races and tris).  Before I am done, I know where I ranked in every possible manner in comparisons to others and to my previous performances (in every possible split); it serves no purpose other than allow me to care way too much about what I did well and what I did poorly.

The only reason I care about B/M/FOP is because people tend to use the terms frequently; and I prefer to have a frame of reference for how I compare to those to whom I am listening.

Also I have had a very bad cold for the last two days that has kept me from training and I may be getting bored/stir crazy.

Actually, for me, using my relative placement in LARGE races is probably the only way I can get a sense of how my overall race performance is progressing from triathlon to triathlon. Conditions in tris can be so drastically different, imprecisely measured, etc., that it's almost impossible for me to compare race results, even from the same race, unless there's a miracle and all conditions line up perfectly. (We had two Oly races here less than 4 weeks apart where swim times from most of my friends who did both were different by 15-20 minutes per person, myself included.)

If you're working up the %AG ranks in big races (which makes it statistically much less variable regardless of who shows up), it's probably a good sign that you're getting better for your AG. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better Define: BOP/MOP/FOP Rss Feed  

of 3