General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA - Fort Yargo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-07 9:40 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: XTERRA - Fort Yargo

Has anyone done this race or planning on doing it in the Spring? I'm planning on making it my first Xterra in April. Would love any advice on the course or Xterra in general - esp. how it differs from triathlons (besides the obvious off-road factor). I have only done "traditional" triathlons.

For instance, I heard there is always a mass swim start. Everyone that is racing starts together. That seems like it would make for an interesting run on the single track? I'm just trying to figure out if I'll get killed get a mental picture.

Also, wondering if they allow relays? I saw something on their site about the Gu Team Challenge but it was a bit confusing. My husband and a couple of friends want to do it as a relay.

Thanks all!

2010-01-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2601962

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: XTERRA - Fort Yargo
In April 2008, I signed up for my first triathlon. It was for the Fort. Yargo Tri.

Very fun race. The mass start wasn't bad. I think there was a total of 170 triathletes.

The swim wasn't bad...it seemed looooong, but then again, it was my first tri (with 2 weeks of swim training prior to that). I was dead last out of the water with a flotilla of kayaks behind me. Embarassed

The bike was the funnest part of the whole tri. Since I was dead last out of the water, I didn't have to fight for position on the trail until 3/4 through. There are some places along that trail where you can absolutely FLY! There are also some places where you have to be pretty strong or be good at jumping off your bike and running up some hills.

The run was around the lake and it was good. Not really all that bad, with just a few places you had to run up steep hills.

Since this was my first tri, I hope to do it again...maybe this spring.
2010-01-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2601962

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: XTERRA - Fort Yargo
I've done this race twice and it's a good race to test Xterra racing. Compared to some of the other Xterra triathlons I've heard this one is pretty tame. You can read both of my race reports if you're interested. That being said, I'm skipping this year.

I have no idea what kind of mountain biking background you have but I would ride trails at least once, probably twice, a week in the months leading up to the race. MOST of the trail is not very technical but there is a new part they added last year, the Monster Mile, that is definitely more technical. (think intermediate/advanced trails at Chicopee)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA - Fort Yargo Rss Feed