General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yoga Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-17 7:24 PM

User image

Subject: Yoga
I have added 45 min yoga sessions to my training this year.  I use them as supplemental training sessions to added a little strength work with good quality stretching.   I typically work with the TV series "Inhale with Steve Ross" on oxygen.
I have never done a formal yoga session, but I can tell a big difference in my flexability and overal well being since adding these workouts.
Has anyone else worked out with th Inhale sessions?  Or any comments on yoga....

2010-01-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2618854

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Yoga
Yes!   ...and I'm lovin it!

I started with a yoga class at the YMCA, but it was mostly sun salutations/relaxation type stuff.

Then I joined another health club and did the yoga class and WOW!  It was so different.

We start with abdominal work during every session.  He said that is non-negotiable.  Then we get into stretching.  I think I am the tightest person in the class!!! 

Sometimes we do headstands and while we are completely inverted we shrug our shoulders up and down.  Sometimes we use the giant bouncy balls and do pushups with our legs elevated on the ball or do balance work on the ball.  Then other times we do a lot of difficult balance moves, like the triangle pose etc.

I found my OLD bouncy ball in my son's closet, so I'm going to pump it up and practice at home.

But mostly I want to loosen up enough so that I'm not the only one who can't do the full range of flexibility stretches!
2010-01-23 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Yoga has been infused in my training for the past two years and it has been invaluable for recovery and staying injury free.

Yoga is key for us triathletes, especially with hips! Tight hips hinder cycling, running performance and promote improper form as well as injury. Keep it up! And for those triathlete who have yet to dabble in Yoga. Try it!!!
2010-01-23 11:07 AM

User image

New user
Austin
I have a friend doing 60 days of bikram yoga and not doing anything else. I have known him for 7 years and trained with him for 2 years now and he has never lost weight. He is now like 25 days in or so and he has lost prob 10 lbs.
2010-01-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2630251

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Taffle - 2010-01-23 9:46 AM Yoga has been infused in my training for the past two years and it has been invaluable for recovery and staying injury free.

Yoga is key for us triathletes, especially with hips! Tight hips hinder cycling, running performance and promote improper form as well as injury. Keep it up! And for those triathlete who have yet to dabble in Yoga. Try it!!!

How many times a week do you do yoga?  I'm still trying to figure out how often to squeeze it in.
2010-01-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2632699

User image

I try to get two sessions in per week.  One as a recovery session and another tied in with an easier workout.

2010-02-14 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2632699

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
maria40nc - 2010-01-25 8:38 AM
Taffle - 2010-01-23 9:46 AM Yoga has been infused in my training for the past two years and it has been invaluable for recovery and staying injury free.

How many times a week do you do yoga?  I'm still trying to figure out how often to squeeze it in.

It is hard to define, because I "do yoga" pretty much everyday - however varying different types at different intensities. Hip openers and lower back as a primary focus.

I'll shoot for a specific session of the following once a week:
  • Hatha with Hot Yoga - Deep, long stretches for recovery, following long training sessions. (60+ minutes)
  • Power and/or Vinyasa Yoga - Faster, complex poses promoting stability (30-45minutes)
And I mix shorter 15 minute sessions throughout the week just to keep lose. You could almost call it stretching, but it's a little more focused on that.   

Maria, very cool quote by the way!

Yoga on.

Edited by Taffle 2010-02-14 1:20 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yoga Rss Feed