General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike modifications Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-30 5:31 PM

User image

Michigan State University
Subject: Road bike modifications
Hello all- I'm in the process of buying a road bike that I will be using for a tri coming up in June (I can't afford a tri bike). I want to get a bike that will be "modification friendly", especially with regards to clip on aero bars. The bike I'm looking at is the Schwinn Katana- it's gotten some great reviews. However, the shifters are right up by the stem and I'm not sure that it will allow for aero bars to be installed (http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000GZT6PO/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2). The same goes for another bike I'm looking at- the GMC Denali, which has grip shifters (Shimano Revo SIS L2/R7) located right on the flat bar, adjacent to the stem on either side.

Will I be able to install some clip on aero bars with either of these models? If not, what next?

2010-01-30 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2644821

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Road bike modifications
I would steer clear of both of those bikes; they have very low end components and you will likely be looking to upgrade in short order.  Do you currently have a bike of any type?  If so, I would suggest using that for your first tri and then if you decide you want to continue, save up to get a true entry level road bike.

I would also check on used bikes in your area; many people purchase road bikes that end up collecting dust and you can often find a good deal on a lightly used bike.

Shane
2010-01-30 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
First, let's get the $ thing out of the way.

How much are you looking to spend? What is the roof.

I ask because you mention upgrading already. Know that when it comes to "upgrading" you are going to pay premium for single pieces at a time. Also, both bikes you mention are "under-equipped" for most people who get into tri's. In the road bike world of today, you almost have to (I know... not have to, but it's nice to) have STI shifting. Unless I'm mistaken Shimano Sora (maybe Tiagra) and above are STI.

You can install aerobars on any bike really... as to whether they will benefit you or not is dependent on fit/geometry/comfort/etc.

Most of the "big" companies have an entry level road bike that is competently equipped. Still, you are probably looking at at least $600 to get in the door.

Give us some more info on your goals/current situation/abilities/wallet thickness. Most people CAN afford a pretty nice bike (especially a used one) if they don't get in too big of a hurry to blow what cash they have.

Oh yeah, Welcome to BT
2010-01-30 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2644846

User image

Thanks guys. A little bit more about my situation:

This will be my first triathalon. I do not currently own a bike (just a mountain bike). Because it's my first tri and I dont' know how many more I will do, I was hoping to keep everything under $500- but I do have a little flexibility. I've done a pretty extensive search for used bikes in my area (East Lansing, MI) and haven't found much. I have a running background, so cycling is pretty new to me. My goal is to finish the race (Rev3 in CT, 1/2). Crazy, I know. But I'm doing it.

I tried a Trek 1.1 (60cm) and a Specialized Allez (58cm) at a couple local shops and those seemed to fit well. I'm 6' and have a slightly longer torso than "normal". If I go with a new, big name company, it will probably be one of those. I'm concerned with a) buying the right size (some have told me that when buying a road bike for a tri you should go a little smaller than what you would normally get) and b) being able to make the adjustments (aero bars, stem, and seat) for relatively cheap.

Thanks all- I really appreciate your help! I'm pretty lost when it comes to bikes:/
2010-01-31 2:18 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Since money is an issue, don't worry about trying to modify it for tri's! A normal road set up will work perfectly well, especially for sprints/oly's.

Spend the money you have to get the best fitting bike with decent components... I would recommend trying to stretch the budget to get Shimano 105 or better (or Campy Centaur, SRAM Force).

Both the Trek and the Specialized will be excellent frames that you can use for many years to come.

... and what ever you do, don't buy a frame size too small just because you think it's going to be easier to modify for tri's! You won't be centered over the frame, resulting in imbalance, possibly discomfort and very likely loss of power.
2010-01-31 10:09 AM

New user

Plano, Texas

Although I do not have the experience as the other folks posting in these forums, I was in your exact same position last year.  Never had a bike, wanted to keep it around $600 bucks.  I was pretty sure that I would continue to do tri's even after the two I did last year, but it is a pretty big investment to buy a very nice bike.  What I did was buy a new very entry level bike (Windsor Dover).  I didn't even upgrade the pedals.  Just regular shoe cages.  My thought was I needed to get a season or two under my belt before I decided to upgrade things or buy an entirely new bike.  Make sure you want to continue to bike before you spend the big money especially if you are on the fence about continuing.  It's kind of like golf, you don't go buy the most advanced clubs until you figure out your swing!   

Remember, it isn't about the bike, it is about the motor driving the bike.  I did have bikes passing me, however, even with the low end components, I did have fun passing people with much more expensive bikes and good gear.  Train hard, try it out, then go for bigger when you "graduate" levels.  Hope that helps and best of luck!

2010-01-31 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2645129

User image

Champion
birwin8 - 2010-01-30 11:20 PM

This will be my first triathalon. I do not currently own a bike (just a mountain bike).

How can you not own a bike but own a mountain bike?

Seriously, if you have a mountain bike, I would consider putting slick tires on the MTB and use that instead of buying a very low end road bike.

Shane
2010-01-31 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN
I did my first tri on a MTB with road tires...that is the cheapest way to go and I would do that WAY before I bought a very low level road bike.  Then after the race figure out what you'd like to do and chance are you'll have until the following season to buy a roadie which will give you time to cruise the internet and shops to find a VERY good deal on a road bike better equipped for what you want to do....

Enjoy your first race! 
2010-01-31 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2645514

User image

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am concerned, however, that riding a mountain bike for 55 miles will be a little uncomfortable, inefficient, and will take a long time to finish.
2010-01-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2645583

User image

Champion
birwin8 - 2010-01-31 1:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am concerned, however, that riding a mountain bike for 55 miles will be a little uncomfortable, inefficient, and will take a long time to finish.

It will likely not be that uncomfortable (unless riding your mountain bike is uncomfortable) but you are correct that it will increase the time spent on the bike leg.  However, it will likely not be quite as bad as you think if you get slicks for the MTB.

As a point for consideration, I used to bike commute on my MTB (knobby low pressure tires) and would average 22-24km/h.  When I switched to a road bike for the same commute, my average speed was 25-27km/h.

Shane
2010-01-31 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
When is the race, and do you have the ability to do a Sprint before then. If so, I would train on your Mtn bike and in the meantime, check craigslist or the classified forum here. You will always find good deals, and you can get a nice couple year old road bike for $400-$600 or so if you are patient. Another option is bikesdirect.com. 

2010-01-31 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2645679

User image

The race is June 6th (HIM). I will be doing a sprint Feb 14th (indoors- 20min r, 20mb, 20ms). My mountain bike isn't going to cut it. It's about to be put to rest. I just use it to commute (1 treacherous mile each way with no brakes). I'll keep looking and in the meantime I've been training on a stationary bike (expresso fitness video game bike)- it's just really uncomfortable.

I guess I'm willing to spend $600 on a good entry level bike if I don't have to put aero bars on it and buy a new (forward) seat, especially since there are a couple of bike shops around here that I can go to and actually sit on the bike before I buy it! Plus, there's all the maintenance perks and a warranty that you get at these places that probably doesn't come with a cheaper bike bought online. Like I said, this will be my first tri and I have a hunch that I'm going to do more. A full Ironman is one of my goals over the next 3 years.
2010-01-31 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2645755

User image

Champion

If you truly need to retire your MTB then I would definitely consider what you said and try to stretch your budget to get an entry level bike.  Bikes Direct often has some pretty good deals on bikes that will serve you well; for example, the Mirage Pro is $499:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro_sale.htm

It has a Sora/Tiagra mix which many will tell you will not stand up for a long period of time if taken care of, the components will serve you well.  I have a road bike that I've had for several years that I have trained and raced on (crits and draft legal triathlon) that has a Tiagra groupset.

Remember when setting your budget to leave money aside for pedals, shoes and aerobars if required.

Shane

2010-01-31 6:44 PM

User image

Master
If you are looking for good components and entry level this is a tough deal to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-CARBON-FIBER-FORK-SHIMANO_W0QQitemZ130361515657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item1e5a26de89

I would not attempt a 1/2 iron distance on a mountain bike unless you are ready to suffer.

If you don't mind the hassle, you could buy a really nice bike on ebay, use it for a couple of month and resell it for close or more than you paid.

2010-01-31 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2646169

User image

That's a nice bike. I think if I were to pay that much (+$40 s/h) I would be spending just as much for a Allez or Trek 1.1 entry level bike that I could buy here in town where I would be able to ride it and get it fitted/adjusted, which is included in the price (~$620). Plus, there are the perks from buying locally (free tune up after 30 riding days, extended warranty). How much more should I expect to pay on top of the bike itself (pedals, shoes, anything else?)? Do I need to pedals and shoes? What should I expect to come with the bike?

Also, what are your thoughts on this bike?

http://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2_IX.htm
2010-02-01 9:19 AM

User image

Master
I agree with supporting your local bike shop but the components on this bike are what make it such a good deal. The price includes clipless pedals. I paid a lot less for the same bike several years ago and it came with free aerobars. I still ride the bike even though I have bought 3 more bikes since then. The Windsor is a big step down on the components. The jump between Sora and 105 is huge and you would need to upgrade the pedals almost immediately. I also prefer a double crank over a triple for ease of tuning and less chain drop. There may be a slight advantage to a triple in hilly areas but I live and ride in the mountains and do fine with a double.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike modifications Rss Feed