General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling great! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-02 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Feeling great!
So last night I decided to try a mini-brick type workout.  I am training for my first tri, and it is a tri-it (1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run) in June.  I've been running since November, but swimming and biking is new--just joined the Y 2 weeks ago.  I biked 7 miles (30 min.), immediately ran 1 mile (9 min.) and swam 1/4 mile (don't know the time, but I was really tired by that point). . .Is this decent?
Thanks!

2010-02-02 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2649281

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Subject: RE: Feeling great!
great job! i bet that was an excellent workout!
2010-02-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2649281

Veteran
I think for the time you have trained that is great! At this point in time your training should be about building volume and not worried about your time. However, I have to temper what I just said because it is still way too early in your training to worry about bricks. It is too early to put that type of stress on your body. What you want to do is to build gradually in each sport. Do you have an organized plan from the internet or are you doing this on your own? If not, I would highly encourage you to find a plan that suits you. There are some on this site. Good luck!
2010-02-02 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2649299

User image

Expert
CenTex
I agree with others that you should focus more on volume at this point in your training and worry less about time.  However, I disagree that it is too early to add bricks.  As long as you keep your run under ~15 minutes, bricks are a great workout.  I wouldn't do them with every bike but once a week is fine.  It "teaches" your legs to transition from one sport to the other and makes it much easier come race day.  That said, don't try to run hard off the bike at this point in training.  Focus on the quick transition and run easy.  You'll gain from it in the long run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling great! Rss Feed