General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another new One! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-04 9:42 PM

Subject: Another new One!
WOW - what a website. So I like others have decided this is my goal and from everything I have read - it's gonna be a great group of athletes to be a part of. I am a 27 year old Spinning and Aerobics instructor who has never ran a day in my life. A few weeks ago - I went for a run and ran and ran - 2.0 miles - not bad for never being a runer - I am up to 3.0 miles and loving it. I swam in high school and try to get out and swin once or twice a week. With Spinning - I love to ride -- So I am off to purchase a new bike - Any suggestions?

I am a little concerned about teaching and incorportaing that into training (I also work part time - outside of teaching) What about weight lifting? I love to lift and want to incorporate that into my training as well. Whats the best way to train with weights for a triathlon?
I am going to do some 5K's over the summer and shoot for fall for my 1st Sprint Tri -

By the way - I'm Jill - Nice to meet ya'll!

Edited by msjilybean 2004-04-04 9:43 PM

2004-04-04 11:00 PM
in reply to: #16417

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Another new One!

Welcome Jill, Your going to love triathlon. I started last year with duathlons and I loved every moment! I guess you can say I am addicted!! (I did 9 Du's last year) This year I am stepping up to triathlon. As far as bikes go I have a Cannondale R800SI, which is good for me and my ability. Good Luck! Your going to love it!

Beth

2004-04-04 11:30 PM

Champion
Cool, good to have you on board Jill. I do some weight training too, but I concentrate mostly on chest, shoulder and upper arm with moderate weights, and not trying to do each set to exhaustion. That way it strengthens without building bulk, which is what any endurance athelete strives for. The running is the weakest part for me too, I really disliked it, but since it's a necessary evil, I'm learning to tolerate it now. Don't know as if I'll ever admit to "loving" it, but it's better than it used to be!

Max

Edited by max 2004-04-04 11:30 PM
2004-04-05 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome jill.  sounds like u have plenty of time to safely build up for your sprint while doing your other activities.  if time is an enemy, for lifting do compound lifts like bench, militaries and squats so you can get away with few exercises.  keep your reps above 6-8, dont go to exhaustion, only ~ 60-80%, and around 3-5 sets.  not really an exact science, just depends on your goals..fine tune to YOUR schedule.  just remember, lifting for mass will not will be counter productive if you want speed.

best of luck.

2004-04-05 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Welcome Jill! If you check out some of the different threads, you'll see there's quite a range of bikes being used. I believe the consensus here is a mountain bike, if you're doing your first tri (or first dozen!), and a road bike if you're more competitive than someone like me. I went to a tri-newbie clinic yesterday, and the bike-guru said 'go with what's comfortable to start'. You can always upgrade the bike later.

As for weight-training, light/medium weights with higher reps will work your strength and boost endurance. You won't gain a lot of muscle size, but your strength levels will rise tremendously. I've recently learned that core training (lower back/abs) works wonders for improving swimming technique, which has lead to an immediate gain in my speed and stamina in the water.

Joe
2004-04-05 2:27 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Hi Jill,

welcome to the site.  Lots of good stuff here, so just look around.

Weights? I've read (and found) that exercises specific to your training are good to help with speed and power.  Step Ups, Squats, lunges for legs (using them much like bicycling), front pull downs for upper body (like swimming), etc.

Bikes?  Use what you are comfortable with and what you can afford.  My wife just bought a new, 'less expensive' bike (I just bought a new road bike, but she didn't want to spend that much).  She bought a hybrid - a trek 7300 FX @ about $430.  She liked it much better than the mountain bikes (she's been riding an old, cheap mountain bike).  It really depends on you - I trained for almost a year on a $79 walmart bike and it didn't hurt me.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this . . . probably  no answers, but lots of opinions.

TB

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another new One! Rss Feed