United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 41m 20s
Overall Rank = 1315/1436
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 53/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am to prepare GU2) bottles, pack the car, and eat.
Had a banana, a Harvest Bar, a Pria Bar and some water.
Drove to race site and set up transition area.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up. Amy, Heidi and I watched the male waves start their swim.
Swim
  • 44m 29s
  • 1950 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, I felt like I could have had a better swim, but I finished feeling strong. Once I settled into a pace, I focused on my breathing (every 3rd stroke). My navigation was poor. The bouyies were fairly far apart. The first leg to the turnaround was OK. It was a little crowded and although I tried drafting, it usually didn't work out.
Once I made the turn, I think I swam a decent amount extra due to the poor navigation.

What would you do differently?:

Better navigation. To some extent, it was out of our control due to the number of bouyies. I would have also pushed it harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Coming up the boat ramp at the end of the swim I felt pretty good. Ran to bike rack. I tried my hardest to go to the bathroom in the river, but couldn't for some reason. Ended up peeling off wetsuit and just going while I put on my helmet and glass (before I put my socks and shoes on of course). It is amazing how little shame you have before/during/after the race. I had a small issue unracking my bike since the rack was so high my bike was hanging. I also forgot my gloves, but didn't end up mattering too much.
T1 rank was 45/62 in age group.

Reapply sunscreen and bodyglide. Also, remember gloves for longer distance races.
Bike
  • 3h 49m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good for most of the first half. For the second half or so, I was growing less comfortable sitting in the saddle and switched gears a few times to stand and pedal. At about mile 30 or so, my right knee started bothering me like it did a few weeks ago during a longer ride. I massaged it a little and stood a few times in the saddle to stretch.
Once I had 10 miles left, I pushed it harder to finish strong.
Ended up having to stop twice for the restrooms. I guess I was staying hydrated.
I felt a little nauseous for part of the ride (it would come and go). I finished my aerobottle of GU20 fairly quickly. I was able to continue riding and refill my aerobottle with GU20. I ate PB Wheat crackers, half of a Harvest Bar, and a banana along with a few Electrolite tablets and a half of a GU. Water bottle exchanges were great!! Once I drank all my GU20, I grabbed a water and gatorate and watered down the Gatorade in my aerobottle.
Sun was relentless on the bike.

Reapply bodyglide in T1. Maybe wear bike shorts with tri shorts for longer races.
Transition 2
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Crossed over timing mat and used the restroom so I could start the run feeling comfortable. I racked my bike, switched my shoes and dumped a Nalgene water bottle over my head. I grabbed my water bottle and hat and ran out.

Nothing. Felt good.
T2 rank was 39/62 in age group
Run
  • 2h 59m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run, as I told Nate and Brad, is my achilles body! As I just started the run, I saw Brad coming in at his mile marker 13. Damn him!! My legs felt pretty good getting started. I thought my mile 1 time was horrible, but I later found out the mile markers weren't totally accurate. I told myself that I had to run to the aid station and then I could walk through as I got ice and water. I would grab a cup of water and dump it over my head, then grab a cup of ice and fill it with water. I would walk until I drank enough to fold the cup and run with it. I tried to keep from overheating by dumping water on my head, face, arms (and using ice). Two people had hoses (once at an aid station and the other was a spectator) that I definately used. Didn't feel good enough to eat a GU (was a little nauseous still). I ate a few crackers and pretzels in the aid stations. At the turn around, I realized that I had a decent amount of time left before the 8 hour cutoff (my only goal was to finish before cutoff). I tried to continue running the second half, but my legs were getting sore. I progressively started walking more and I think at some point, I was walking faster than I was running. With 2 miles left I knew I would make the cutoff and since I felt better walking, I continued until I saw Brad, Craig, Nate, and Heidi at mile marker 13 and I ran to the finish line.

Train more in hot, humid conditions (if this is possible).
Also, focus more on running. I am slowly learning to tolerate running (not loving it yet) so, as I get better and enjoy it more, I need to continue increasing my distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Used the restroom and watched Amy come in and finish. Then cooled off head/face with hose and grabbed something to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor navigation on the swim. Headwind and saddle soreness on bike. Heat and sun and lack of enough training on the run.

Event comments:

I thought this race was great starting off with the packet pick up and expo on Saturday.
During the race, there were tons of volunteers that were very helpful and friendly. There were a good number of aid sations on both the run and bike. The only thing I can think of for improvement are the restrooms. There just weren't enough of them.
Overall, a well run race. Even better was the fact that of the 6 people in our group that entered, we all finished (some with really great times)! It was so great to train and race with friends/family!

Last updated: 2005-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:29 | 1950 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 49/62
Overall: 0/1436
Performance: Below average
Suit: John Ironman
Course: Course was semi-rectangular in the Choptank river.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:49:48 | 56 miles | 14.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/62
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was a very flat loop through the Blackwater Nature Reserve. There was a heck of a headwind for more than half of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:59:36 | 13.1 miles | 13m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/62
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was a 6.55 mile out and back loop with aid stations every mile or so. It was hot, hot, hot and had about 50 yards of shade on the entire course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-14 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Eagleman Half Ironman

2005-06-15 7:07 AM
in reply to: #175042

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Eagleman Half Ironman
K - you rock! Although we suckered you into this race in Sept, I am so glad we all did it together. It has been a blast training and then racing together. And to think you don't hate running any more, awesome!!
2005-06-17 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Great job on the race! You did awesome!
2005-06-17 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job! You are a rock star. I can't wait until I am in that kind of shape! james
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eagleman Half Ironman Rss Feed