General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using what instead of water in water bottles for Sprint Distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-16 3:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Using what instead of water in water bottles for Sprint Distance?
Okay, I have my first sprint ever coming up in 2 weeks (27th of this month). What do I use in my bottles instead of water. I know not Gatorade due to the large amount of sugar and HFCS that does not metabolize. What do I use. I look on bike sites and see recovery drink, or do I use an energy drink. Also,  if I am going to take a gel pack do I do that before the race starts for a reverse tri (5k-12 mi-200m long course pool swim) I have not done this before so I am very rookie-ish on this. Thanks

2010-02-16 3:40 AM
in reply to: #2674790

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Using what instead of water in water bottles for Sprint Distance?
Water or a gatorade-type drink.  You can use a different brand if you want.

Sugar = carbs = energy.

Recovery drinks are for AFTER the race.
2010-02-16 3:44 AM

User image

If you are going to finish the event under 1:30 water should be enough, else you may use a little sports (isotonic) drink on the bike. Again, for a sprint if I were to finish under 2 hours or so, I would not take any gels, or if I am hungry just before the race I may eat it and start. Of course, in a reverse tri your stomach should not be upset while running. So, some practice before may be good for you.

All said, I am not a nutrition expert. This is just my experience and take on the matter. So take all my advice with a grain of salt.
2010-02-16 5:55 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Water is fine, or maybe a 50/50 mix of water and Gatorade.

Mark

2010-02-16 6:12 AM

User image

For races under about 2:00 I rarely have anything, not even water. If it's hot I might have watered down HEED in the aero bottle but that's about it.
2010-02-16 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
leave the water at home. Grab a quick drink when they hand them out as you come out of T2.  In  a sprint you are either going to be sufficiently hydrated before it gets started or you aren't. (Unless its VERY hot.)

2010-02-16 7:14 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Water is all I use in a sprint. 
2010-02-16 7:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
How long do you expect to be out on the course? I agree with others that anything under about 1:30 - 2:00 water alone should be fine. If you feel like you might need some calories, you can use a sports drink on the bike - diluted would probably be a good idea. The choice of sports drink is very much a personal preference kind of thing. What works wonderfully for one person might not be the best choice for you. The key is... NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!! Only use a sports drink if it is something you have used in training and you know won't cause you any problems (some people experience stomach cramping or other intestinal issues with various sports nutrition products). If you have used gels in your training, you could also take a gel about 15 minutes before your race start, and maybe another one 45 min. or an hour into your race. Again, only do this if you have used the product in training. If you use gels, make sure you wash them down with plenty of water. Really, water alone should be fine, but since it's your first race, you might feel better having a few calories available just for your own peace of mind. Like I said, just make sure it's something you have used in training. If you haven't used any kind of sports nutrition products in your training up to this point, you should probably stick with water.
2010-02-16 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
If you don't want water a sports drink will help you stay refreshed and could even help with your recovery.  I tend to take Accelerade in one bottle, but this may be too much sugar for you.  Other options are Heed or Gu Electrolyte Brew.  Both should keep you quenched and no dehydrated, particularly if you aren't going to take anything on the run. 

For me, I'll take on Gu before the race and one mid-way through the bike, or about 45 min later.  This keeps my energy up.  I have no problems swimming with this but definitely try it out before you attempt it in a race.

Recovery drinks should be taken immediately after your workout.  These have carbs/protein and help the muscles heal so you won't be so sore in the following days.  I like Gu Recovery Brew or Fluid, but everyone has their own preference.  Here's some general help on the different products out there:

http://www.sportsbistro.com/articles/recovery-drink-review-and-round-up.html

Edited by Lilac J 2010-02-16 7:39 AM
2010-02-16 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Beer? 

Not really...I'd bring a water bottle for the bike (with water in it) and a water bottle for after the race.  Most races will have water/gatorade somewhere on the run course, but not always so it pays to be prepared. 

If you want to take a gel, do it 15 minutes before you start and drink at least a glass of water.  If you've never had a gel, they're a treat!  Think of them as thick Karo syrup with a vitimin (pop-tart) taste. 

Whatever you choose, try it at least once before the race under conditions similar to what you expect for the race.  You may react differently when it's 80F and your hot (near the end of the race) than 60F and starting out. 

2010-02-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2674915

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
jsnowash - 2010-02-16 8:28 AM

How long do you expect to be out on the course? I agree with others that anything under about 1:30 - 2:00 water alone should be fine. If you feel like you might need some calories, you can use a sports drink on the bike - diluted would probably be a good idea. The choice of sports drink is very much a personal preference kind of thing. What works wonderfully for one person might not be the best choice for you. The key is... NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!! Only use a sports drink if it is something you have used in training and you know won't cause you any problems (some people experience stomach cramping or other intestinal issues with various sports nutrition products). If you have used gels in your training, you could also take a gel about 15 minutes before your race start, and maybe another one 45 min. or an hour into your race. Again, only do this if you have used the product in training. If you use gels, make sure you wash them down with plenty of water. Really, water alone should be fine, but since it's your first race, you might feel better having a few calories available just for your own peace of mind. Like I said, just make sure it's something you have used in training. If you haven't used any kind of sports nutrition products in your training up to this point, you should probably stick with water.

ETA - sorry, I thought I had read your race was this weekend.... If you have 2 weeks before your race, you have a little bit of time to experiment with some sports drinks or gels ahead of time...

2010-02-16 8:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Don't bother with a gel pack.  Water is fine if you like.  So is Gatorade or any other sports drink.  For that distance, all you should need is hydration.  If you do need anything else, it would be sugars that you are after.
2010-02-16 8:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
I use infinit mix for my sprints, no matter what the distances. Normally, if I am working out I go with the "water, unless its really intense or over an hour" rule. But for races, I always use my infinit mix, as my thoughts are "why not?". You are operating at a pretty intense pace during a race (or you should be at least ) and I like taking in some extra electrolytes and energy so I can give it my all without worrying about my energy reserves.

The only reason I have the "hour/intensity" rule during training is to avoid taking in too many calories for every day training. But races are races.

As stated above, definitely test this out a few times before race day. Some drinks dont work with people's GI systems under race conditions, and you definitely dont want to find that out on race day.
2010-02-16 8:54 AM

Master
Agree with the above:

1) water or gatorade is fine (not sure where you heard gatorade is bad, it's pretty widely used in virtually all tri distances).
2) Don't over think the whole thing.
3) Nothing new on race day. Try and stick to products you've tried before and know won't upset or throw your stomach off.

2010-02-16 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I drink water... for a sprint I just put one bottle on the bike.  No gels for me either on sprint distance races. 
2010-02-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2675335

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I usually don't plan on drinking at all during a sprint.  But I will bring a bottle of water on the bike, just in case. 

You don't need a nutrition plan for a sprint, IMO...

HOWEVER, even though I'm not blazing fast, I only plan to be on course for a sprint between 60-90 minutes.  If you think you are going to be on there signicantly longer, consider bringing something on the bike.  They will provide fluids on the run course, BTW.

2010-02-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2674929

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

X2 on this advice.  I like Heed, it's not sweet at all.  I used Heed in training too!  I highly recommend it.  When you take the gels, make sure you take with water. 

I'm big on the Hammer stuff (Heed, Gels, etc) and really like Recoverite for post race/workout. 

I used the follow the philosophy of not needing anything for a sprint.  However, I also really sucked the run until I began the strategy of a gel on the bike.  Now I am much happier and don't see the harm.

Lilac J - 2010-02-16 7:38 AM If you don't want water a sports drink will help you stay refreshed and could even help with your recovery.  I tend to take Accelerade in one bottle, but this may be too much sugar for you.  Other options are Heed or Gu Electrolyte Brew.  Both should keep you quenched and no dehydrated, particularly if you aren't going to take anything on the run. 

For me, I'll take on Gu before the race and one mid-way through the bike, or about 45 min later.  This keeps my energy up.  I have no problems swimming with this but definitely try it out before you attempt it in a race.

Recovery drinks should be taken immediately after your workout.  These have carbs/protein and help the muscles heal so you won't be so sore in the following days.  I like Gu Recovery Brew or Fluid, but everyone has their own preference.  Here's some general help on the different products out there:

http://www.sportsbistro.com/articles/recovery-drink-review-and-round-up.html

2010-02-16 10:58 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Everyone is going to be different so you really need to find what works for you.  For me, any exercise more than 45 minutes needs something (once again for me, others may not need anything).  For a full (?) sprint (800m, 20mi, 5k) gatorade/powerade on the bike, gu 15-20 minutes before I am off bike, drink on the run as necessary.  Add an extra gu/drinks if hot day.
2010-02-16 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
For sprints my race day nutrition strategy is:

Light breakfast - usually liquid ~350Cal
1 hour prior to start - flat energy drink (for caffeine) ~200Cal
30 minutes prior to start - sip on sports drink ~50Cal
Bike - a mouthful or two of water

Following the race I'll usually snack on whatever is there, aiming to get somewhere in the 3-400Cal range.

Water or sports drink is fine for the bike (and there is nothing wrong with Gatorade).

Shane
2010-02-16 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Everyone is different.  For me, I'm fine up to about 1:30 with just water.  Between 1:30 and 3:00, I'll use 50-50 water and energy drink mixed plus I'll hit a gel coming out of 1 or both transitions depending on whether my whole race is closer to 1:30 or 3:00.  Experiment a little in training, then plan on doing pretty much the same on race day.
2010-02-16 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
PA
undiluted mash liquor will help dull any aches and pains when it comes time for the run portion.

2010-02-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2675089

User image

Veteran
merlin2375 - 2010-02-16 6:54 AM Agree with the above:

1) water or gatorade is fine (not sure where you heard gatorade is bad, it's pretty widely used in virtually all tri distances).
3) Nothing new on race day. Try and stick to products you've tried before and know won't upset or throw your stomach off.

I heard that information from my brother who does HIM and has a degree in chem. His concern is that the calories consumed by Gatorade are more sugary specifically from the HFCS. The HFCS does not metabolize properly, and therefore is not used to its full potential. He said that Accelerade, Carboom, etc are much better for tri's and in the long run can be cheaper. I know he is speaking from his experience, and such, but I did not want to sound like an idiot when I talked with him as the days get closer.
2010-02-16 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2675826

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
spjon25 - 2010-02-16 2:52 PM
merlin2375 - 2010-02-16 6:54 AM Agree with the above:

I heard that information from my brother who does HIM and has a degree in chem. His concern is that the calories consumed by Gatorade are more sugary specifically from the HFCS. The HFCS does not metabolize properly, and therefore is not used to its full potential. He said that Accelerade, Carboom, etc are much better for tri's and in the long run can be cheaper. I know he is speaking from his experience, and such, but I did not want to sound like an idiot when I talked with him as the days get closer.

I don't believe there is any evidence that that is the case.  But if HFCS really bother you, there are other options (including any powdered Gatorade which has no HFCS).
2010-02-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2675826

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
spjon25 - 2010-02-16 2:52 PM

As mentioned a few times already, you shouldn't even be worrying about this to begin with.  Even if you are out there for 2 hours, unless you go into it completely drained and dehydrated (which ain't gonna happen) then you don't even need to take anything in during a Sprint unless you want to wet your lips and throat.  It is simply not needed.

Again, do NOT overthink it!  Keep it simple.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using what instead of water in water bottles for Sprint Distance? Rss Feed