General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did your shin muscles hurt like crazy crap!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-16 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Subject: Did your shin muscles hurt like crazy crap!?
Since I started about a month ago...my shin muscles have really really hurt while running. I know they just arent up to par with running yet, but how long until i can run without it hurting them? They are really the only things that make me stop running when i do...
I need some super strong shin muscles...any help out there?

2005-06-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: #175739

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: Did your shin muscles hurt like crazy crap!?
I had the same problem in January. It took orthotics, physical therapy and some time to get over them. Shin splints are a common injury (especially for biginners), but can be dealt with. If you have insurance that covers orthotics, I say GET THEM NOW!
2005-06-16 8:23 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Are you talking about shin splints (pain on the inside of the shin along the bone), or tightness and discomfort in the large muscle that runs on the outside front of the lower leg?
2005-06-16 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
oh no way..not shin Splints...I had those in BOTH legs during basketball in highschool and this is DEFINITLY not those...holy cow..i'd retire from tri-ing if i still had those probs...

My problems are just with the muscles on the anterior of my legs...the shin muscles...I have to stop every half mile and stretch those puppies out...its like they get cramps or something.
2005-06-16 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
When I first started running my shin muscles would be sore a lot. After every run I would ice them down. I have been running at least three to four times a week for the last 10 years, and have not had muscle soreness for at least five years. The key for me was 1)an extra long stretch before running 2)starting slower and letting my muscles warm up 3) improved running technique by running more on the toes and less heel strike 4) longer cool down and post-run stretching. I also occasionally would go to the gym and do calf extensions to strengthen my calves and shin muscles. I'm not a doctor, but I would suggest you see one if the pain persists.
2005-06-16 8:30 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I had pain when I first started running again- in the large muscle that runs on the outside alongside the shin bone (tibilias anterior).   A new pair of shoes, with help picking them out from an experienced running guy solved the problems.  Get thyself to a good shoe store.  Start off with that first and worry about the rest if it persists.

(yes, I looked it up, I forgot how cool my A&P book is!!)

Edited by Lucy 2005-06-16 8:45 AM

2005-06-16 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I used to have wicked shin splints. I worked at reinforcing the muscles and made sure I had good shoes. If you are not referring to shin splints, is the muscle cramping? After my shin splints, I had that problem also. I kept reinforcing the muscle and I also learned to relax the muscles while running. The Chi-Running book really helped. As soon as I started using some of the principles in the book, NO MORE CRAMPS. I love running since then, I don't have sore muscles anymore.

You can find a few threads on the Chi-Running book. Its also quite cheap, about 15$. I'm still new to tri training (since January), but its probably the best investment I made up to now. Before that, I seriously doubted I could get used to running.
2005-06-16 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

I had the same problem when I started running a few weeks ago.  I talked to a friend of mine who's a massage therapist and she said that it could be stemming from the gastrocnemeus soleus (sp?).  It's a small little muscle deep inside your calf that ties in with that muscle in your shin.  What I found was that from all my cycling (and lack of stretching), my calves got too tight.  So when I started running, my shins had to work so much harder to counter my calves.  A little...ok, a lot of stretching and massage have helped to alleviate the problem.  The massage that I do is to take my thumbs and, starting at the crease in the back of my knee, run them down between the two heads of my calf muscle all the down to my achilles tendon.  I also take my hands, one on each side of my calf, and just kinda shake it out, like when you used to roll a ball of play-do into a snake.

At any rate, I hope that helps a little.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a health care professional.

2005-06-16 11:17 AM
in reply to: #175747

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jiggies - 2005-06-16 8:26 AM oh no way..not shin Splints...I had those in BOTH legs during basketball in highschool and this is DEFINITLY not those...holy cow..i'd retire from tri-ing if i still had those probs... My problems are just with the muscles on the anterior of my legs...the shin muscles...I have to stop every half mile and stretch those puppies out...its like they get cramps or something.

OK, lucky thing, because like you said, shin splints SUCK(that is what you said, right?)  Then you should be able to alleviate your problems with a very thorough pre-run and post run stretch and a good quality properly fit pair of running shoes. I've only gotten this a couple of times, and you're right, it's pretty uncomfortable.  Good luck!

2005-06-24 8:12 PM

I have a ton of experience with this pain you're talking about. It's so discouraging and painful. It's not shin splints if it's on the anterior muscle of the shin. Does it feel like it's really really tight? Does it hurt to massage it when the pain starts? Is it difficult to flex your ankle? I was running regularly when I first started having this problem. I wasn't a triathlete, just a recreational runner at the time. I went for ex-rays and was told that they thought I had shin splints. I took the time I needed and it seemed to get better and then about 3 weeks after regular running, BAM the pain came back worse.
I was diagnosed with Anterior Compartment Syndrome. The facia that surrounds that muscle doesn't give when the pressure in your muscle increases while running. This creates pressure that pushes on your nerves and if you keep running on it, in time it will get so bad that your toes go numb and you can't flex your ankle at all.
For the diagnosis you should see an orthopedic doctor and if he suspects compartment syndrome you'll be sent for a pressure test. They will then measure the pressure in the compartment before and after having you run on a treadmill. If the measurement is above a certain level they will recommend surgery.
I tested positive in both legs but only had the surgery on my right side since that was the more dramatic reading. The recovery wasn't bad and I was back to running within about 2 months or so. The results have been great. I have some weakness in the lower half of my right leg but that should get better with time. I am running 15-20 miles per week with none of that pain that I was experiencing before. Unfortunately I am now sidelined with an IT band problem but hopefully that will be easier to fix :-).
If you have any questions please leave me a message or something as I am glad to provide any input that I can!
GOOD LUCK!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did your shin muscles hurt like crazy crap!? Rss Feed