General Discussion Triathlon Talk » March Triathlon Series : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-01 12:23 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: March Triathlon Series : Official Thread

Who's going to the race at Lopez Lake hosted by Cal Poly? This should be a blast, with a sprint, an oly, the western college championships, and the USAT region championships.

Any veterans of Lopez Lake have any advice?

2010-03-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2699052

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: March Triathlon Series : Official Thread

I've done the sprint the last 2 years and plan to do the oly this year.  I know they made some changes to the course last year from the previous year, but I haven't looked into what the course will be this year.  The area around Lopez is rather hilly, and the water will be cold (mid to high 50s).  If the lake water level is low, there will be a pretty long run in the sand back to transition. 

It's a fun and reasonably priced race, and I'm a Cal Poly alum so it's a race I like to support.

2010-03-04 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

I did this last year with a friend who was doing it as her first race ever.  I had a good time and she did well for her first race.  Affordable race and scenic course; I am a Cal Poly Alum as well so I am happy to support the CP Tri team.

A couple things to expect: 1) The is a pretty decent hill coming out of the transition to start the bike section.  I saw more than a few riders walking their bikes to the top last year and 2) The distance from the water to the transition area was a good little hike - especially in bare feet on that sandy/gravel road.  Perhaps aqua socks this year.  :

I am signed up and ready to go - and my friend is coming back with me. 

2010-03-25 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
I'm here at the campground, and took a quick loop to see the beginning of the bike course. The previous race reports aren't exaggerating about the first climb out of transition. I was out of the saddle in my 39/28, but it's fairly short. I'll give the water a try (it's cold!) and take a screaming dive down the bike course tomorrow. It looks like a lung burner on the way back.

See you all here!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » March Triathlon Series : Official Thread Rss Feed