General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for long legs & short torso? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-06 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Bike for long legs & short torso?
I have a while before I will be getting my first tri bike but want to start researching/drooling.  I am currently on a road bike, this is my second tri season.

I have heard certain bikes are built for folks with different body types.  I am 5'9" but all legs - 34" inseam so my torso is actually average for a female. 
Is there a bike better suited for long legs and short/average upper body?

2010-03-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2712032

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Bike for long legs & short torso?
Look at Specialized Transition, Trek, Cannondale, possibly Scott.

I am 5'9" and change, with a 34.5 inseam, and all of those fit me pretty well. I had a Trek for many years, and now ride a Specialized Transition.
2010-03-07 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
MA

In general women have longer legs and shorter torso compared to men.

You may want to look at some of the women specific tri bikes.

Overall best way to buy a bike is get a fit for what a custom bike would be measurement and geometry wise and see which frames are closest to that.

I ride women road bikes but my Kuota K Factor fits me out of the box w/o changing the stem. If it is a  tri bike they tend to be designed to fit men unless they state they are women's tri bike.

Have fun looking at bikes! 

2010-03-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2712474

User image

Pro
Houston
KathyG - 2010-03-07 9:31 AM

In general women have longer legs and shorter torso compared to men.

You may want to look at some of the women specific tri bikes.

Overall best way to buy a bike is get a fit for what a custom bike would be measurement and geometry wise and see which frames are closest to that.

I ride women road bikes but my Kuota K Factor fits me out of the box w/o changing the stem. If it is a  tri bike they tend to be designed to fit men unless they state they are women's tri bike.

Have fun looking at bikes! 

Thanks.  I plan on doing that but I know when I go to get fitted the tri shop will try to sell me on brands they carry and didn't want to limit myself.  I was looking at the Q-Roo Chiqilo but wasn't sure how they would fit, they only go to a medium.
Does anybody else make women's tri bikes?  I haven't seen any.
2010-03-07 9:48 PM

User image

Mo
I have also been doing some research. I am looking to buy a tri bike also. I found that Trek make a women's tri bike and maybe giant. Not sure about that last one.
Does anyone know the "general" sizing for the smaller frames? Do you choose the size based on over the bike and then have it fit?
2010-03-07 9:59 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

KeriKadi - 2010-03-06 6:46 PM I have a while before I will be getting my first tri bike but want to start researching/drooling.  I am currently on a road bike, this is my second tri season.

I have heard certain bikes are built for folks with different body types.  I am 5'9" but all legs - 34" inseam so my torso is actually average for a female. 
Is there a bike better suited for long legs and short/average upper body?

Honestly, you're in Houston, so please go talk with Philip Shama at Shama cycles.  He specializes in custom Guru's but carries a few other brands as well. He won't BS you, but he will try to sell you a bike!

Like you, I have long legs and a short torso.  Based on my measurements, no standard frame fit me well, but several could be made to fit me with some creative use of stems, spacers and such.  At the end of the day, I went with a custom Guru that fits me like a glove.  The geometry is not even close to anything on the market, and I'm so happy with the decision I made.  Also, don't think that custom has to mean expensive...some very reasonably priced frames by Guru. My wife just got the Magis, which is priced in the $2000s. 

Regardless, even if you don't buy a bike from him, I'd suggest talking with him.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for long legs & short torso? Rss Feed