General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I must be crazy but I'm training for my very first Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-07 6:11 PM

New user

omaha,NE
Subject: I must be crazy but I'm training for my very first Olympic Triathlon

Hello Everyone,
 My name is Lesley and I'm an ER nurse, fitness instructor , personal trainer and a novice figure competitor. I will say that after only 1 week of "attempting " to swim, I have the utmost respect for anyone who does triathlons. I have always dreamed of doing one but never got the nerve to. Now that Omaha,NE is having an Olympic Triathlon (very first), I'm finding it hard to find excuses. I will say that the swimming is kicking my and I'm getting very discouraged. I thought I was physically fit, but I have met my challenge. I don't know how I'm going to do this but I will. It's been very discouraging when I swallowing water and panic . OMG...any advice.

I'm literally drowning!
Lesley

2010-03-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2713010

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: I must be crazy but I'm training for my very first Olympic Triathlon

Welcome Lesley!

I used to work ER too.....15 years of insanity and love all but the last few months.  Good luck.  Will you be doing Hyvee?

2010-03-07 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: I must be crazy but I'm training for my very first Olympic Triathlon
Lesley, the learning curve for long distance swimming starts very shallowly, and then, just before you throw the lifeguards in the water, chairs and all, it starts to come and the learning curve steepens dramatically and the gains come thick and fast.

Once open water swimming is available (do lakes thaw in Nebraska?) spend as much time in the water as you can. Enjoy floating around, being lazy, and staring at the sky after workouts and you'll learn to feel more comfortable in open water. Good swimmers aren't just fast, they feel at home in the water.

Good luck, keep it up- I have no doubt you'll be great. I suspect you have the perfect mindset for tris. 
2010-03-07 8:01 PM

Zimmerman, MN

Lesley,

First,  relevant and recent disclosure.  Last year after running...and running..and running... and causing myself much pain,  I decided to take the "plunge" into the world of triathlon.  I didn't really know how to swim, but "how hard can it be?" sez I?   So I jump in the pool at the local Y and start flailing away.  I made it half way before I stood up (thank god for shallow pools) and spit out about a gallon of water.  I then made a beeline to the life guard and asked if he coudl show me a few things.    Turns out he was a Tri Swim coach.  I signed up for his 7 week Monday night swim class, for about $25 bucks.  Money will spent.   I recently had a co-worker of mine,  a very accomplished Masters swimmer, critique my form, and I am proud to say that I am now a mediocre swimmer    Heres a few short cuts I learned along the way.

1.  Ask for help, life guard,  masters swim class,  someone who looks like they know what they are doing.
2.  Work on Technique not speed initially. look for some drills that will help, but are not too challenging.  I.e. Catch up Drillls, Shark Fin Drills.
3. Youtube is your friend.   search for Total immersion swimming, as well as Michael Phelps.
4. www.swimplan.com
5. Practice Bilateral (both sides) breathing.   Learn this now!  easier to start from scratch than go back to beginning (VOE on this one)
6.  When you do your first Open Water Swim, and Esp.  when you do your first Tri,  RENT a wet suit.  They are a huge confidence booster, and a great equalizer.  Renting allows you to try a couple different styles as well.  Rentals are about $10-40 per day/ event, and well worth the cost.

Edited by gmattesonjr 2010-03-07 8:02 PM
2010-03-07 9:05 PM

New user

omaha,NE
Thank you all so very much for your help. I'm at a lost for words because I really didn't know if people would respond. I'm going to contact the ymca tomorrow for the lessons. It's not until Auguest 1st and I feel I have ample time. You all have given me so much confidence just to train.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You........
Muah from Omaha, NE!!!

Lesley RN
2010-03-07 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2713262

New user
Rhode Island/Southeastern MA

Is there a club/team in your area? Check out who they go to/recommend for swim instruction. A couple of instructional lessons can be invaluable and I found well worth the money! Someone who is familar with the tri swims and open water swimming can be especially helpful. Good luck Laughing
C

2010-03-07 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2713262

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
LesleyRN - 2010-03-07 9:05 PM Thank you all so very much for your help. I'm at a lost for words because I really didn't know if people would respond. I'm going to contact the ymca tomorrow for the lessons. It's not until Auguest 1st and I feel I have ample time. You all have given me so much confidence just to train.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You........
Muah from Omaha, NE!!!

Lesley RN

Welcome to BT Lesley,

I am still pretty new here to the site, and am training for my first Tri season as well.  I just moved from Omaha in December, and am also going to do the Omaha Tri!

I think there is a masters swim group that swims in the mornings at St. Mary's on Dodge.  some friends of mine who did the IMFL last year swam there and loved it.  

Good luck with your training, and maybe see you in omaha August 1! 
2010-03-07 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2713302

New user

omaha,NE
wow, small world.LOL.... Well I'm not at that level to swim with a group of "masters" LOL but i thank you anyway. Thank you for the well wishes and good luck to you as well.  Yes, see you in Omaha!!

Lesley  RN
2010-03-08 8:13 AM

Master
Hi, welcome aboard. The recommendation to get lessons for swimming hits the nail on the head. Now is the time to build good habits and good muscle memory. Swimming is just one of those things...keep at it and it will improve.
2010-03-08 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
Tennessee
Welcome Leslie! 

After 5 years of sprints, I too am taking on my first Oly this year.  With 3-5 times the swim distance compared with less than double the bike and run, it is the most terrifying part.

Lessons are the best idea, but if you are like me, you don't even think you qualify for lessons right now.  My advice (for what it is worth...ain't much) is to make sure you spend some time early with the kickboard and the pull bouy.  If you don't have your own, some places have loaners, if not, make the investment.  I was flailing around for weeks and had almost given up when a guy in the lane next to me (in the shallow end) suggested using the pull buoy and the kickboard to get started.  Worked like a charm...well, at least I wasn't swallowing 1/2 the pool with each lap...now if I could just get those darn flip turns down...
2010-03-08 7:21 PM

Zimmerman, MN
Lesley,

Couple more comments.   First don't be intimidated by "masters" swim groups,  there are people of all abilities there,  they are helpful,  usually have some good swim training plans, and can give you critique etc.   The only risk is they will likely try to recruit you to thier one dimensional world of competitive swimming  Tongue out  J/K .  You might also find that there are several Triathletes in the mix there.

I also wouldn't sweat flip turns too much.  I never bothered with them last year.   don't do them much this year.   They might help with the "fluidity" of your work out, but on the other hand,  so far I haven't seen any walls in the swim portion of the Triathlon.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I must be crazy but I'm training for my very first Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed