General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i eating properly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-08 4:15 PM

Subject: Am i eating properly
I have just started training, and i am doing the aggressive couch to 5k plan. I am 46, 5'2 tall and only a small build, to be honest i have always been skinny and always struggled to put on weight and in the past my heaviest has been around 112lbs.
 Now, over the last 18 months my weight has gone up to 128lbs, and all of it around my waist.  I just put it down to middle age, as my life style has not really altered, i still walk to get the bus every day and my job is a physical one, so i am on my feet all day.
In the run up to starting training, i decided to change my diet, so that now i eat breakfast every day,  i eat healthier during the day, more fruit and veg, drink more water etc.. My wife is a diabetic so we always eat healthy meals at home, rarely any fast food.
The problem is i am probably eating more now than i have ever done, even though it is more healthy food. Am i going the right way with my diet as i am not really training intensively yet ?. I also plan to start doing some strength training as well.

2010-03-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2714996

Subject: RE: Am i eating properly
Healthier is certainly better.  If I read your post correctly, you didn't used to eat breakfast?  If you are now, kudos for that as well!  Great first step for training is to get the diet headed in the right direction, your body will thank you.

You can adjust the calories and portions later once the training gets more intense and more calories are required.  It's a learning process that you will have to adjust for the rest of your life.  Metabolism, dietary needs, exercise needs, place in your life; all that and more can impact your diet so stay positive and enjoy the journey!
2010-03-08 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
You won't really know for sure if you're eating properly until you give yourself a good 6-8weeks on a set diet and exercise program. If you're loosing too much weight, then obviously you'll have to adjust accordingly. A good rule of thumb is to get as many calories from fresh fruits and veggies & complex carbs and clean proteins as possible. I personally find that eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day keeps me comfortably full and spreads out my nutrients so that I am always aiding my body in the repairs it needs to make after my workouts. Check out my training & nutrition log if you'd like.
2010-03-09 4:07 AM
in reply to: #2715411

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
dponder - 2010-03-09 3:47 AM Healthier is certainly better.  If I read your post correctly, you didn't used to eat breakfast?  If you are now, kudos for that as well!  Great first step for training is to get the diet headed in the right direction, your body will thank you.

You can adjust the calories and portions later once the training gets more intense and more calories are required.  It's a learning process that you will have to adjust for the rest of your life.  Metabolism, dietary needs, exercise needs, place in your life; all that and more can impact your diet so stay positive and enjoy the journey!

I agree with dponder, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Weight loss, or in your case weight gain is all about calories in vs calories out. I won't blab much about what to eat since you have a basic idea about eating healthy, but the amount of food you chug in on daily basis.

The number we are commonly accept is 500, of which 500 kcal above the BMR to gain weight and below if you wanted to loose weight. Find a good diet plan which covers your expense (and time, dieting means a lot of time in the kitchen), and go with it for about 2-3 weeks.

As your exercise goes, strenght training is great for people whom wants to add lean body mass (muscle). Lower the reps, and increase the sets.

Eat clean and lift heavy

otongki
2010-03-09 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2715653

User image

Lafayette, CO
otongki - 2010-03-09 3:07 AM
dponder - 2010-03-09 3:47 AM Healthier is certainly better.  If I read your post correctly, you didn't used to eat breakfast?  If you are now, kudos for that as well!  Great first step for training is to get the diet headed in the right direction, your body will thank you.

Weight loss, or in your case weight gain is all about calories in vs calories out. I won't blab much about what to eat since you have a basic idea about eating healthy, but the amount of food you chug in on daily basis.

The number we are commonly accept is 500, of which 500 kcal above the BMR to gain weight and below if you wanted to loose weight. Find a good diet plan which covers your expense (and time, dieting means a lot of time in the kitchen), and go with it for about 2-3 weeks.

As your exercise goes, strenght training is great for people whom wants to add lean body mass (muscle). Lower the reps, and increase the sets.

Eat clean and lift heavy

otongki

One would not want to eat 500 calories less than your Basal Metabolic Rate which is simply the amount of energy used by your body when at complete rest.  Like doing absolutely nothing so if one eats less than that you don't survive for very long.  What is commonly accepted is that reducing your caloric intake by 500 calories per day less than the number of calories required to maintain your current weight at your current activity level. 
2010-03-10 2:57 AM
in reply to: #2717502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
COSkiGirl - 2010-03-10 2:29 AM
otongki - 2010-03-09 3:07 AM

Eat clean and lift heavy

otongki

One would not want to eat 500 calories less than your Basal Metabolic Rate which is simply the amount of energy used by your body when at complete rest.  Like doing absolutely nothing so if one eats less than that you don't survive for very long.  What is commonly accepted is that reducing your caloric intake by 500 calories per day less than the number of calories required to maintain your current weight at your current activity level. 

BMR consist of total calorie to maintain on a given day, while RMR is derived from a resting condition. Note that additional calorie from activities besides living (e.g. field work, commuter, etc) should be adjusted to the total amount.
But the number shouldn't be more than 300-500 kcal above and below.

2010-03-10 5:34 AM

No.  BMR represents the number of calories you would require if you are at complete and total rest, which includes your digestive system is inactive (meaning you're fasted).  The 'B' stands for Basal.  RMR is a little higher, and this represents testing done in less strict conditions.

Generally, to use BMR/RMR to determine weight loss, activity factors are used to represent normal daily caloric burn.  So for example, you would want to multiply your BMR by 1.55 if you're moderately active, and then adjust your calories from this number.

You would probably not want to perform normal daily activities and eat 500 calories under BMR for any extended period of time unless you were specifically directed to by a professional.

ETA: this site actually does a pretty good job of explaining things
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php

Edited by DMW 2010-03-10 5:53 AM
2010-03-10 5:51 AM

Osprey, you don't really say what your weight goals are, so it's hard to say what 'eating properly' is for you.  Any diet with a focus on health is a good thing.  128 pounds sounds healthy to me, but if you're putting on weight and don't want to, then it's definitely time to look at the volume of what you are eating.  Sorry.  This was kind of a vague question, so it's hard to give a detailed answer.
2010-03-10 7:30 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
DMW, that's a great site, thanks for posting! 
2010-03-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2717885

Thank you for all the replies everyone.

I think my real goals are, as far as weight is concerned is to lose the belly i have acquired over the last couple of years and to strengthen my physique. I know i am only just starting training so i have a long way to go with all the goals i have set myself. I am doing core training  twice a week, and i am going to start strength training, using dumbbells in the near future. My weight is not bad for my height, but after trying to gain weight and a bit of muscle when i was younger, it is annoying to find this extra weight on my stomach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i eating properly Rss Feed