General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking into buying my first TT bike (advice needed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-10 3:12 PM

User image

Philly
Subject: Looking into buying my first TT bike (advice needed)

I just got a big promotion at work, my tax return is pretty nice this year therefore I've decided to start putting a little extra aside for a new bike, hopefully purchasing it in maybe 2-3 months. 

I'm just looking for advice on some brands, models, etc to start looking into online before I end up going to a couple LBS'.  For all of you with TT bikes, did you purchase through a local shop or online?  What are the pros and cons of both?  Would it be worth it to buy online and get it fitted afterwards?

I'll probably end up wanting to spend the lower part of a $1500-2000 range.  So what should I be expecting for that?

At the end of the day I want this to bring me through at least 2 or 3 olympics this year (late season) and my first HIM in '11 and beyond.

Any input would be really appreciated!!!

2010-03-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2719327

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Looking into buying my first TT bike (advice needed)
I did it both ways and prefer the LBS route when all said and done.

First, they usually include a fitting with the purchase PLUS they will do some preliminary measurements to make sure you get the right bike in the first place (one that can be fitted to you a little better).

Mine included some free tuneups and a couple other extras.

Granted, they charged a little more, but keeping my local LBS in business is important.
2010-03-10 3:32 PM

User image

I would start shopping around now...even if you don't have all the money saved up yet.  That way you get a better idea of what your options are, your size for different frames, etc.  You can look on craigslist to see if you can get a deal on a used bike as well.

I would prefer buying from a good LBS...not LBS's are created equal.  Like Kido mentioned, you can get a lot of "add ins" when you buy from a LBS, and it always helps to build a relationship for future "hook ups".  But if you can find a deal on a used bike that is too good to pass up, then by all means save some $ buying used and spend the extra money on tri gear and a fit at the LBS.
2010-03-10 3:38 PM

User image

Philly
Sounds like a goodplan.

As far as some options...

Felt?  Kuota?  Trek?  Cervelo?  Quintana Roo?  Anything else?
2010-03-10 3:40 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
This is just what I've experienced, and is only that.

I started out with asking similar questions here on Tri Talk.  I received some good advice.
Then I met up with a local friend, who had competed in Kona twice, and asked him for some feedback.  Some of his information matched up to some of the BTers' responses.
I checked out some of the LBSes that he recommended and price-compared and model-compared.
I found that an LBS I went to best served my needs due to the customer service (the guy was a bike fitter, too).
Because the guy wanted to make sure that I was fitted first and didn't want to sell me a bike even from his store until I was fitted, I went with him (a different LBS wanted to sell me a bike because I mentioned "carbon", and didn't ask any other questions - I found that to not best suit my needs).  He was very professional, customer-service oriented, and spent the time working with me on a fit.  After that, I worked with him on purchasing a bike through them, because I felt they deserved it.
I could have purchased something they had right there or go to a different LBS, but I decided to purchase a bike which they didn't have available and was one level up in quality (I was thinking of future use and budget range that I could stay in, too).
I couldn't have been any happier, and am still quite happy.
2010-03-10 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

lots of good advice so far,,

just adding that you should also start looking at what components you would like plus other things likes wheels, brakes, cassettes, even if you want a compact crank or not,   the LBS will be able to swap out stuff cheaper (usually) than if you bought it and changed it later on your own.

2010-03-10 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2719394

User image

Sensei
Sin City
danny_boy - 2010-03-10 1:38 PM Sounds like a goodplan.

As far as some options...

Felt?  Kuota?  Trek?  Cervelo?  Quintana Roo?  Anything else?

All good.

Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Jamis, Trek, BMC, Blue, Ceeco, etc. - seriously, every major brand carries a decent tri bike (more or less).
2010-03-10 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
Argon18 E-80 or Mercury.... looks hot, and is a great bike! 
2010-03-10 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
Here is my .02:

Research well...so you don't have to drool over others bikes and "i should of gotten this or that".  Honestly budget first and then try to see what you can afford.

from what i have seen every and i mean EVERY manufacturer has several tri bikes an entry bike and higher end bike.  some have better priced bikes then others for what you get.  BANG FOR THE BUCK if you will.  IE great example is the Cervelo P2.  Great bike, aero, proven, etc etc. 

FYI right now its not the best time to buy.  this is high season near the end of the season is when you can get some NICE deals starting with late october.  Also consider used, IF you know what you want and you think you will fit well, man you can get some SMOKIN deals on high end bikes.
2010-03-10 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Not sure how experienced you are with bike purchases in general, but if you're new at it, make sure you also think about the costs of shoes, pedals, bike computer and other accessories if you're really focused on the budget.
2010-03-10 4:19 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Hey Dan, There's a lot out there in your category. All manufacturers will have some sort of entry level bike that will more than suit your needs.  Here are some.

Cervelo P1 MSRP:  $1700:  http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/CerveloP1-2009.shtml 

Felt S32 MSRP: $1399:  http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Product-Catalog/TT-TRI/TT-TRI-Series/S32.aspx

Felt B16 MSRP:  $1999: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/FeltB16-2009.shtml

Giant Trinity  MSRP: $1750:  http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trinity.0/3888/37067/

Quintana Roo seduza MSRP: $ 2000:  http://www.quintanarootri.com/_bike.asp?content=Seduza

Cannondale Slice MSRP $2100ish: http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/Bikes/Road/Multisport/Slice/Details/1250-0RM5D-Slice-5 

2010-03-10 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
MD
The Felt S32 is their aluminum-frame TT offering with a MSRP of $1400, you should be able to find it cheaper if you shop around. Comes with a Shimano 105 component set, felt aerobars and wheels. Though labeled as an 'entry level' bike this is a really good bike, imo.

The Felt B16 is a nice all-carbon option within the very top of a 1500-2000 range (MSRP 1999) . Component set is mostly Shimano 105, with felt-specific bars and wheels.

The Cervelo P1 is an Al-frame option in this range (MSRP 1700), with a really nice Ultegra component set with Vision bars and shimano wheelset.

Remember to also budget for other add-ons and upgrades you might want (pedals, bottle cages, computer).

A good LBS fitter should be able to work with you on your fit and suggest a selection of bike models that would work for your specific measurements. For example, some people favor a more aggressive setup, others a more relaxed setup. A fit session is well worth it and should help you narrow down your choices and know what sizes to look for for some of the manufactures' product lines.

Some LBS will charge 1-200 for a fit session (such as a FIST measurement), and will provide you measurements and recommendations on bikes that would work for you. Then they will apply that charge toward the purchase of a new bike if you buy it from them. Otherwise, you're free to shop elsewhere, no hard feelings. But, if they do a good job, are knowledgeable, and provide good service you're really well-served to give them your business.

There are deals to be found online and in the used market, but you really have to know exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay, otherwise you risk spending a lot of money on a bike that isn't right for you, and you have no options other than to turn around and sell it yourself or live with it. Used prices at first seem like a bargain, but look carefully at what the offer is and what is available in the new market. Often the 'last year's model' discounts are better than what somebody on the used market wants, and they come with all the perks of a new purchase (customer service, fits, warranties, etc).

2010-03-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2719464

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would also recommend asking in your local area for shops that understand triathlon (if you don't have an idea already).  Many of the local regular bike shops near me sell a TT bike or two, but the experiences are not usually very good and they have limited knowledge on fit, accessories, etc.   Oh, they'd be happy to sell you their one TT bike and make it work, but that isn't always the right bike.

Good luck!  I have a QR Kilo which fits into your range with enough left over to buy pedals and shoes.  It's a nice bike.

2010-03-10 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
danny_boy - For all of you with TT bikes, did you purchase through a local shop or online?  What are the pros and cons of both?  Would it be worth it to buy online and get it fitted afterwards?

How sure are you about the size of TT bike you need?

If it isn't pretty close to 100%, I'd recommend buying it from a LBS capable of doing the fitting.

And please note, _in general_ people need at least a size smaller in tri bikes than in road bikes.  But there are no hard and fast rules since manufacturers measure their bikes in different ways.
2010-03-10 5:02 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
I'm looking for the same thing. I've gone to the shops numerous times and they know what I'm looking for.

I'd rather go to them, because I know they'll take care of me, it's great having a shop in the area, and the fact that they haven't led me wrong yet is pretty good.

Now, my shop is a Giant, Guru, and Specialized dealer. In his shop, currently, he's recommending a Giant Trinity, just because it's in my budget ($2000).

A couple options, buy the better bike now and take the components and upgrade over time, or buy it all at once in a painful hit. Either way, a LBS is going to help you more than some guys on the internet.

Plus, you get to fondle the gear  
2010-03-10 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
my lbs (2 of em) had limited stock of tri bikes - in fact, they only had one bike between them - giant (carbon - whoa that was a sweet ride).

i found a 2007 Cervelo P2SL that had never been used in my size, full dura ace which was in my price point so I grabbed it.  love it so far.

if you are reasonably certain of frame size like i was, you could try the used route via here, or ebay or craigslist. 

i do agree that supporting your local bike store pays dividends in the long run, however

2010-03-10 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2719431

User image

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina
Jyles16 - 2010-03-10 4:48 PM Argon18 E-80 or Mercury.... looks hot, and is a great bike! 

As an owner of an Argon 18 E-80, I'll let you know it's a great bike but you're most likely not going to find a frames for any less than 1100 and that's before you add your components...it is an AWESOME bike but it may but you a few hundred over where you wanna be...I would recommend it looking into an e-80 though....I love my bike...
2010-03-11 7:52 AM

User image

Philly
Wow, great advice all around.  A million times over, thank you!

High Road Cycles and Cadence are the two major LBS' in my area.  I have been dealing with HRC with everything concerning my roadie but Cadence has a pretty great reputation.  I'll start there as well as the internet this weekend.

Thanks again.
2010-03-11 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I ended up getting a full fit before I purchased a bike. I went in and talked with a fitter about where i was right now and what my future goals in the sport were. Then I got on this "bike". I really can't remember what the name of the machine was. It allows the fitter easily move everything around to get me in the best position for me. We then sat down and went over bikes that he thought would fit me best. It wasn't too cheap but when I got my bike, he just transfered the measurements over and it fits great. Also, included where visits down the road to tweak my position as I get more used to riding in the aero position. 

So long story short. I would suggestion getting a bike from a LBS because they are there to help you out if something goes wrong and get a good fitting bike. The aero differences between all the bike brands that you are looking at is negligible. You want to get a comfortable bike so that you can stay in the aero position for as long as you can. 
2010-03-11 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Once you get down to brass tax, don't skimp on the components. You are better off getting a slightly less expensive frame in order to be able to swing a better group set. Frame's in that price range are all of comparable quality/aerodynamics but group sets can vary a lot in quality based on price.
2010-03-11 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Katy, TX

Definitely go with the LBS that knows TRI's if possible.  I was in the same boat as you, got my refund and was shopping for a bike.  I started off at the LBS TRI specific store, and was all ready to pull the trigger, when I found an 08 model of the same bike at another place...I went cheap and bought the 08, and had that LBS do the "free fit" that they threw in...

in my gut I felt like I was doing something wrong, and my gut was right.  Yesterday afternoon I spent the 125.00 to get the "real aero fit" from the TRI store, and what a difference...they completely did the opposite of what the amateurs did...

I toyed with the used idea, and looked at CL and ebay, but if this is your 1st bike, I would suggest the new bike, at the good LBS.

my .02

oh yeah, FUJI ALOHA 2.0

2010-03-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2720259

User image

Philly
bryancd - 2010-03-11 9:21 AM Once you get down to brass tax, don't skimp on the components. You are better off getting a slightly less expensive frame in order to be able to swing a better group set. Frame's in that price range are all of comparable quality/aerodynamics but group sets can vary a lot in quality based on price.

You bring up an interesting point.  Some previous replies have said to upgrade components as you move along.

Which is the better way to go?
2010-03-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2720439

User image

Champion
the colony texas
danny_boy - 2010-03-11 9:23 AM
bryancd - 2010-03-11 9:21 AM Once you get down to brass tax, don't skimp on the components. You are better off getting a slightly less expensive frame in order to be able to swing a better group set. Frame's in that price range are all of comparable quality/aerodynamics but group sets can vary a lot in quality based on price.

You bring up an interesting point.  Some previous replies have said to upgrade components as you move along.

I think it's better to get the nicer components up front since most bike shops I"ve been at charge less, than if you were just going into the store to outright buy them. 

say you want a compact crank/ultragra you are usually paying the difference between the cranks not outright buying a new one.  same with the aero bars, brakes, etc.

when I bought my first bike I had no idea about cassette gearing and it wasn't one that was suited for me, 11-21,  if I was smart I could have just asked for to be swaped with a 12-25
2010-03-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2720439

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
danny_boy - 2010-03-11 8:23 AM

It's going to likely depend on what the LBS has on the frame and what components they are looking to move. Just keep this thought in mind. The difference between low end and mid range components is great in terms of quality. The difference in the mid range stuff vs. the high end isn't as much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking into buying my first TT bike (advice needed) Rss Feed