General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I bought a wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-05 10:14 PM

Subject: I bought a wetsuit

This isn't exactly a review as I have not worn the wetsuit yet, but wanted to post about what I did buy.

Ironman Stealth -- putting on  a wetsuit could be it's own event!!! And this being my first time to put on a "real" wetsuit (meaning a triathlon one) made for quite the event!

The new Stealth has very little change from last year's model -- a stitch or two on the outside of the wrist cuff, and a longer gray material area at the lower arm and lower leg area. This material is also in last year's model, but the new one has a bit more of it. I think this allows a bit more stretch in those areas. At least this is what I understood the Ironman employee explain to me when I was (with a friend) trying it on. Strange -- the store clerk could not access the storage area right away because "someone" was taking a shower. I think it was the Ironman guy as he came from that room and stopped to give us lots of info.

The new model of the Stealth is $450.00 -- They were discounting last year's model for a cost of  $315.00. There were only 2 of my (and my friend's) size, so we scooped them up. It is a full -- long sleeve and leg -- suit, and I truly must get some practice getting into it. At first I got it just above my ankles and said --"this doesn't fit"!! I kept skooching it little by little (with each skooch I repeated the afore mentioned mantra about not fitting) until I did finally get it on (raising my heart rate a bit). The sales clerk was very helpful, looked me over, tweaked here and there, and said "yep, that's your size".

In 2 weeks we are going to a lake to try them out -- the lake where I will be doing a sprint tri in July. If I am not satisfied, the store will take it back.

I'm excited about getting the wetsuit, a bit worried about getting it on and not looking totally dis-coordinated as I struggle into it, and anxious to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes in my practice swim!

Nancy

2004-04-06 1:53 AM
in reply to: #16634

Champion
Subject: RE: I bought a wetsuit
Hey, great news Rubber Gal, LOL! I can't wait to buy one too, I'm glad to hear of your experiences in fitting, from what I've heard the consensus is to buy the smaller size if it feels you're in between sizes. I'll be looking for your opinions after you get into the water with it and how it feels during the swim. I've seen so many models on the web and in the magazines, that it seems a real confusing issue as to which one to buy. I think my bike/tri shop has some Quintana Roo suits on sale...I should go down and look at one before they are sold out.

BTW Nancy, look into the stuff called Body Glide, its a lubricant that should help you get in and out of the suit a bit more easily, plus it will help in areas that might cause chafing.

Max

Edited by max 2004-04-06 1:54 AM
2004-04-06 8:46 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
A last years model is the way to go if you are on a budget. I got a last years Quintana Roo Ultrafull for $170! This years model sells for twice that. It fits great too. By the way Nancy, the getting out of one soon comes easy.

Ian
2004-04-06 8:42 PM

I agree Max. There are lots of wetsuits, and lots of info and preferences out there. Bottom line I believe is if it feels good on your body. Second to the bottom line could be a quality suit on sale!

Thanks Ian for the encouragement about getting out of the suit fairly easy.

I'm so anxious to try out the suit. But I jsut don't have the time or opportunity unitl next weekend.

2004-04-08 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA

i just bought a Ironman stealth as well ....body glide is the way to go ...also, i put plastic shopping bags around my feet & shins and it helps me slide into the suit better
2004-04-08 6:27 PM

How interesting... I have a hard time pictuing this. Do you leave the bags on after the suit is on? Are the bags wrapped around, or do you step into them? Curious.

2004-04-15 12:25 AM

Portland, Oregon
Nancy, What other suits did you look at, and did you find a good place to really compare different models? I am in the market to buy a suit as well, but it seems a little overwhelming trying to figure out if one is any better than another. The T1 from Desoto has caught my eye, probably because it is a 2 piece suit. Any thoughts on selecting?

David
2004-04-20 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa

Okay - well just to mix it up a bit. Nancy - congrats!  I bought a Xterra Ventilator - wasn't quite the right size and they took it back - no questions - then upgraded a bit to the Xterra Vortex.  Took it to the pool yesterday. I LOVE IT!  And I know I won't drown now. This thing keeps you horizontal in the water and adds some speed. (Well a bit) The vortex was really easy on and easy off - but practice this a few times and for sure. DO OPEN WATER SWIM before your first event. This will take a bit of getting used to. Buit no doubt that for folks who don't claim the swim as their key event should pony up for one of these.

AND - if you shop at trisports from this site, you get a discount and support the site!  As they say where Mikey Jordan did shoes - "Just do it!"

2004-04-20 10:48 PM

I have been reluctant to wear my wetsuit in the pool:

1. I would look weird
  2. It would be hot
  3. The chlorine may do something bad to my suit.

But John -- are these totally irrational and unecessary concerns?

David -- I really don't have tips on wetsuit selection. I went to my local triathlon suit, tried on this one, it fit, it was on sale, I bought it.

I am so anxious to try it out -- I just need to find the time>>>

2004-04-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: #17407

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
put the bags over my feet by stepping into them (a trick i learned from a friend) to help slide my legs through the suit ....and i take the bags off after i have the suit on
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I bought a wetsuit Rss Feed