General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Continued calf pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-17 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Subject: Continued calf pain
Have been running for quite a while but it seems everyone so often  I get bother by calf pain--gets very tight feeling after only running a short distance.    I do stretch before running-suggestions?  I give my calfs  some extra recovery time and switch to biking/swimming.  (usually it only bothers 1 calf)

2010-03-17 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2731380

User image

New user
Chandler
Subject: RE: Continued calf pain
There are multiple possibilities depending on the location in the calf - is it near the achilles, in the gastroc head, closer to behind the knee, what kind of streching do you do, do you notice it worse after speed work or hills, are you a pronator, how tight is the ITB, do you roll your calf muscles on foam roller, etc?

I recommed you get an eval by a sports oriented PT. I am a heavier guy and freq have had calf issues - they unkink it very quickly and often all you do is modify the running you do not usually have to stop it altogether. Good Luck!
2010-03-17 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2731380

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Continued calf pain
By "tight", do you mean a precursor to a cramp? Does it cramp if you go harder? Most cramps are the result of overwork; less often from hydration issues. Static stretching won't help these issues and could make it worse - depending on which expert you believe. Have you ramped up your training volume recently?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Continued calf pain Rss Feed