General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-20 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle!
My single toughest challenge as I approach my first season of tri-ing is keeping breathing/heart rate down in a manageable zone when climbing hills (running and riding). With an est. max heart rate of 190, I quickly reach mid 170's/low 180's (winded!) when hitting the tough steep ones. I've pushed myself through them, concentrating on deep full breathing, spinning, and telling myself for every up there's a down, but it seems SO much easier for people I work out with. What do they know that I don't? Have they just put the miles in and it comes naturally to them?? I'm not overweight, and I have a solid aerobic background. What I'm doing wrong? Does it just take time? Do I need to push myself through and it will get better over time? Do I dial it back to a more tolerable HR and accept that I need to be slower to go further? Working out with others would be SO much more fun if I can learn to manage this...I see a hill coming on and I dread being the slowest one. Advice, please!

2005-06-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: #178558

User image

Subject: RE: Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle!
I too am having problems with a high heart rate..even at rest it is high.  I know that when I run I am running too fast for my conditioning and need to slow down..but mentally I feel as though I am not getting a workout going as slow as necessary.  I know for me the key will probably be..more..longer..but slower runs.  K
2005-06-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #178558

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Great question.

I'm responding to bump it up to the top in hopes someone will flag it. I'm sure there won't be an easy answer. For instance, yesterday I was doing an easy ride and the woman next to me noticed my HR was 110 and hers was 150. She said, "you must be more fit". I said, umm...no, you are riding a mountain bike, and I'm on  road bike with clip pedals. So in this instance, it was equipment and maybe her nerves were raising it. Yeah..so relaxing is a key. I bet we could come up with a list of facets to this, but i'm hoping there is a BIG key response. Like in swimming, doing a drill where you breathe every 6 or more strokes, or in running when you do intervals it pushes your body to efficiently use the oxygen it gets.

We'll see....there is a wealth of knowledge here.

2005-06-20 8:21 PM
in reply to: #178897

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Good question with a miltifaceted answer. I'll summarize here, but I have articles on hill running and climbing on the bike, written for Inside Triathlon and Velo News, that I'll send to anyone who emails me at [email protected]

Keeping cadence hihg on the bike is important, but keeping turinover on the run high is even more important. Drive your knees up the hill and take quick, tiny strides. Watch fast runners and cyclists and they aren't muscling up the hills. Arnold wouldn't make a good climber.

Pedal stroke - on the flts you can have big dead spots at 6 and 12. If you produce high peak power, you can coast through dead spots no problem. On climbs, you can't coast through anything. Good climbers initiate the downstroke at top dead center, 12 o'clock, and drivbe diagonally forward-down. They also initiate the backstroke earlier - try to pull your heel straight back through the bottom bracket when the pedal reached 3 o'clock. Generating jsut a little power at 6 and 12 carries momentum through to the next downstroke better.

Climbing is about power to weight ratio, so getting lean is important. That's another discussion of its own.

Strength train all winter. Use heavy weights and extremely slow, controlled movements. The sustained contractioins more effectively work the endurance fibers.

After all that ... climb. Preparing your body is one thing, but the only way to reaslly learn to climb is to climnb. Climds hurt, but learn to love them. Attitude is everything. For triathletes, who all have twisted minds, "enjoyable suffering" isn't an oxymoron.

Good luck, Ken
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me overcome my high heart rate hurdle! Rss Feed