General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Tri Club Open House and Greater Nashua Y Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-25 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: YMCA Tri Club Open House and Greater Nashua Y Tri
I just wanted to let everyone know about a few events the Greater Nashua YMCA has coming up for triathletes.

On Monday, 3/29 and Wednesday, 3/31, at 7pm both nights, there will be an open house at the Nashua YMCA about the Tri Club swim class that is offered at this YMCA.  More details will be given at the event, but this class is geared towards triathletes looking to improve/work on their swimming.  The class is offered Monday and Wednesday nights from 7:45pm to 8:45pm and Wednesday morning from 6am to 7pm.  The classes are run by USA swimming certified coaches (I am one of them) and we work with athletes of all levels.  We focus on helping people improve their technique as well as get faster.  We also do a lot of race specific drills and simulations.  The open house will be followed by our class.  We will be allowing people that are interested in joining the class join us in the pool for night so please bring your suit, goggle, etc. if you are interested in doing so.

Also, the Greater Nashua YMCA will be hosting its first annual Sprint triathlon in Merrimack this year on 6/20 (Father's Day).  For more information about this event, please go to:  http://nashuaytri.com

2010-03-26 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2747775

New user

Subject: RE: YMCA Tri Club Open House and Greater Nashua Y Tri
Hi all - I have been a part of the Tri Club class at the Nashua Y since November, and I love the class.  The last time anyone had provided me with swim "instruction" was age 8 - so I have truly benefited from the excellent instruction and advice on how to improve my stroke and increase speed and endurance.  Colin, Jon and Melissa are all great to work with, very experienced and very supportive!  I have not yet competed in my first tri (June 5 is the big day), and feel much more confident about my training than I would have without the class.  I feel very lucky to have this resource available to me!  You should definitely check it out - it'll improve your swim training and even your overall training - besides put you in contact with people who share similar goals.  It's also nice to have an in-person sounding board... I don't know about you, but my friends and family think I'm a little nuts with my triathlon plans this summer - but the folks in the tri club think I'm perfectly normal!  Hope to see some new faces soon.   

Nancy
2010-04-12 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
What is the bike course going to be?  I used to work right no Continental Blvd.  I will be registering soon for this one.
2010-04-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2786170

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
The bike course actually just got changed.  It was supposed to be around 13 miles and go into Nashua briefly, but the Nashua police didn't really like that.  It looks like the new route is going to be 16 miles.  I'll post the route or a link to it on here as soon as it is finalized.  We have a meeting tonight so I should have some more details soon.

Glad to hear you're planning to sign up!
2010-04-15 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH

Ok, I am looking forward to this one.

2010-04-20 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2794194

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Sorry about the delay on this, but here is a link to the bike course.  Its a nice flat 2 loop course so it should be pretty fast!

2010-04-20 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2804590

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
that should be a really fast course.  Hopefully it does not get too congested with lapped riders.
2010-04-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2805589

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
We did put that in consideration and felt that this risk was much lower than putting people on a really hill course.  One of the courses we strongly considered had a very steep downhill followed immediately by a sharp turn.  We're planning to make everyone well aware that they should be staying to the right and passing to the left.   We're also hopeful people will be vocal while passing.
2010-06-13 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2810467

I signed up last week.  Easy commute.  Do you know of any bike groups in Nashua?
2010-06-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2918191

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
NotDeadYet - 2010-06-13 7:25 AM I signed up last week.  Easy commute.  Do you know of any bike groups in Nashua?

Very glad to hear you've signed up!  We're now less than a week away and we've gotten a lot of recent sign ups.

There are a few bike groups in the Nashua area.  Goodales bike shop has weekly rides.  I know they do them on Monday nights and they may do some additional rides.  Here's a link to their facebook page that they post updates on about their rides.

You may also want to check out the Granite State Wheelmen.

2010-06-16 1:31 PM

New user
Hollis, NH
Hey Everyone,

Have fun at the tri this Sunday!  It should be a lot of fun.  I workout at the Merrimack YMCA and would have really liked to participate in it but I had other commitments.  :-(  If they do it again, I'll be there next year!

Hockeyhands, thank you and everyone at the Y for setting up this triathlon.  It is great to have a local event to compete in.

2010-06-16 8:09 PM

Thanks HH, I'll check out Goodales and Granite State.  I'm hoping that someone will start up a Nashua/Merrimac tri group.  There's a lot of potential here for a group as well as races.  I was hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman in September.  Not sure where to go.
2010-06-17 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I ended up getting into Eastman after being on the waiting list so I will be missing this race this year.  I hope it continues as well.  More choices to race in NH is always better.
2010-06-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2925949

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
kinger18 - 2010-06-16 2:31 PM Hey Everyone,

Have fun at the tri this Sunday!  It should be a lot of fun.  I workout at the Merrimack YMCA and would have really liked to participate in it but I had other commitments.  :-(  If they do it again, I'll be there next year!

Hockeyhands, thank you and everyone at the Y for setting up this triathlon.  It is great to have a local event to compete in.

Sorry to hear you're not going to be able to race this year.  However, we've got a great turnout this year so I do not see any reason why we wouldn't have the event again next year.  Hopefully you can join us then!
2010-06-18 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2926871

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
NotDeadYet - 2010-06-16 9:09 PM Thanks HH, I'll check out Goodales and Granite State.  I'm hoping that someone will start up a Nashua/Merrimac tri group.  There's a lot of potential here for a group as well as races.  I was hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman in September.  Not sure where to go.

My pleasure!  Its funny that you mention that there is no tri group from Nashua as I have been quite surprised about that as well.  A few friends and I recently created a tri club based in Mass called NorthEastMultiSport.  The other founders are from Boston so we train out of Walden Pond in Concord, MA and most of our other group members are from the Boston area.  However, Nashua is a heck of a lot closer for me and I've considered either helping in creating a new club in Nashua or creating a "Nashua branch" of NorthEast MultiSport.  Is there in anyone from the Nashua area that would be interested in joining such a group?  I teach a tri club swim class at the Nashua Y and I'm pretty sure we have some members of that group that would be interested in such a group.

If anyone is interested in seeing this happen or may be interested in helping to organize the group, I would certainly be interested in at least exploring that.
2010-06-20 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2930152

hockeyhands - 2010-06-18 10:28 AM
NotDeadYet - 2010-06-16 9:09 PM Thanks HH, I'll check out Goodales and Granite State.  I'm hoping that someone will start up a Nashua/Merrimac tri group.  There's a lot of potential here for a group as well as races.  I was hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman in September.  Not sure where to go.

My pleasure!  Its funny that you mention that there is no tri group from Nashua as I have been quite surprised about that as well.  A few friends and I recently created a tri club based in Mass called NorthEastMultiSport.  The other founders are from Boston so we train out of Walden Pond in Concord, MA and most of our other group members are from the Boston area.  However, Nashua is a heck of a lot closer for me and I've considered either helping in creating a new club in Nashua or creating a "Nashua branch" of NorthEast MultiSport.  Is there in anyone from the Nashua area that would be interested in joining such a group?  I teach a tri club swim class at the Nashua Y and I'm pretty sure we have some members of that group that would be interested in such a group.

If anyone is interested in seeing this happen or may be interested in helping to organize the group, I would certainly be interested in at least exploring that.

I'm in. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Tri Club Open House and Greater Nashua Y Tri Rss Feed